Arozarena to be promoted

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Arozarena to be promoted

This topic contains 49 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 19 hours, 7 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Could be good. O’niel could be back soon. Haven’t heard anything on how Baders doing with his batting. Hope somebody from Memphis can hit a curve.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I swear if we see Edman or Munoz in the OF instead of Thomas and/or Arozarena someone should lose their job immediately.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I very much hope that he and Thomas are both getting regular starts. Like BHC I would be pretty disappointed if Edman or Munoz are starting instead.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well I guess we will see how he does up here.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Maybe this Randy Arizona guy can be for us like Aristotle Onassis has been for the Reds lately.

r/Esteemed Rat

858booyah
    Participant

Free

well I guess we will see how he does up here.

If he does anything more than pinch run or late inning defensive replacement….

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe this Randy Arizona guy can be for us like Aristotle Onassis has been for the Reds lately.

I like your thinking Rat.

Congrats to Randy! I hope he gets some playing time.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Shildt prob still run IF out in the outfield ….

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He’ll be back soon, I’d guess. But in September I doubt he will get any at bats at all with O’Neill and Jmart possibly coming back. Randy will be behind at least six players in the OF pecking order.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Precisely why Randy and Lane Thomas needed to play over the prior weeks. Shildt made it clear he is protecting his veterans, but that shouldn’t apply to Edman and Munoz. Big missed opportunity to start to sort out the various OF options.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We really need to thin the ranks before next year. I love having depth but we don’t need guys rotting at Memphis. There could be some good trade opportunities over the winter unless we trade for even more OF’s like last time.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Imagine the fan revolt if they trade the “wrong” ones. There was no reason not to see more of Thomas and Arozarena while Bader, O’Neill and Martinez were all out. No reason.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Precisely why Randy and Lane Thomas needed to play over the prior weeks. Shildt made it clear he is protecting his veterans, but that shouldn’t apply to Edman and Munoz. Big missed opportunity to start to sort out the various OF options.

I agree with you, Brian. We had two guys come up in the midst of incredible hot streaks, only to fizzle on the bench. Thomas has gotten a little more run of late, but Arozarena’s callup was wasted.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Imagine the fan revolt if they trade the “wrong” ones. There was no reason not to see more of Thomas and Arozarena while Bader, O’Neill and Martinez were all out. No reason.

If they let Ozuna walk while trading Fowler and JMart I don’t think they will have to worry about a revolt, but as you have pointed out before, they don’t make decisions based on what the fans think anyway.

O’Neill, Bader, Thomas, Arozarena, and Carlson have the makings of a very good OF for years to come. Adolis-Garcia and Williams aren’t bad either.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 said:

Thomas has gotten a little more run of late, but Arozarena’s callup was wasted.

To be specific, since Randy came up over a week ago, both outfielders had eight at-bats. Thomas had three hits and Randy two.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We really need to thin the ranks before next year. I love having depth but we don’t need guys rotting at Memphis. There could be some good trade opportunities over the winter unless we trade for even more OF’s like last time.

Yep. I believe that Mo will have to pull an Allen Craig and trade Jmart before Shildt will ever take him out of the lineup. So he’s first to go, IMO. At this point I’d be fine with the type of return the Cards got for Voit…two minor league relievers.

Fowler will last as long as Carlson isn’t on the MLB roster. With the unknowns regarding Ozuna and no returning proven starters (unless Bader can prove he can hit again), I’m ok with keeping him into next year. If he plays well, he’s a trade chip. If he flails he’s a trade/DFA candidate.

I think you have to go with Bader in center until you know he can’t hit.

Of the minor league guys, I trade Garcia for a lotto ticket, Thomas or Arozarena for an update to the rotation or bullpen and hold onto the rest.

MLB-O’Neill-Bader-Fowler/Arozarena or Thomas

AAA-Williams and Carlson

Oh, and I’d also trade Munoz. He’s a sub replacement player and Edman makes him redundant. Even if not, a guy like Sosa would probably be a better long term bet on an MLB roster as a reserve IF and there is 0 reason to play him in the OF.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like all of your suggestions stl25. Makes sense.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To add on, the fact that some believe that Munoz is a better outfielder than infielder tells me he should not be on the roster next year. To me, there are better infielders and better outfielders and better hitters, too. So what is his advantage?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we only had a switch-hitting OFer that could play three infield positions, hits for average plus has great speed and some pop. A guy like that could be the difference by the end of the season. He should be playing everyday.

All you need to do is change his position listing from INF to OF in the media outlets. Do you think that the infield alignment will change in ’20?

Can O’Neill replace Ozuna’s offensive stats next season?

Will Carlson make the ’20 opening day roster? Can/will he beat out Fowler-Edman-Bader-O’Neill-Arozarena-Thomas-Munoz for a spot? It should be an interesting Spring in Jupiter.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To add on, the fact that some believe that Munoz is a better outfielder than infielder tells me he should not be on the roster next year. To me, there are better infielders and better outfielders and better hitters, too. So what is his advantage?

He has none. At this point, is there any player on the entire roster that you’d feel confident in saying he’s an upgrade over? Even Carpenter in his worst state is a better player. Every OF in Memphis is a better player. I hate to rag on the kid cause he’s had some clutch hits but I just cannot see the value he adds to this team and when you’ve got Mike Matheny, err, Shilt setting the lineups, you have to purge veterans in order to get the young guys time. Munoz is the kind of AAAA filler that you probably need to have, but I don’t trust the coaching staff to utilize properly.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, do you really think Edman’s outfield defense is adequate for an MLB starter? Seriously? Just change his position listing and he magically becomes a good defender?

As I have said many times, I think Edman should be in the infield mix, but he has no business in the outfield other than in an emergency. He is about the seventh best defender in the outfield on this roster.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years