Alex Reyes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Seems like he is the forgotten man as far as the pitching staff goes nowadays. Haven’t seen or heard a thing regarding him for a long time.

So, what’s up with Mr. Reyes?

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It has been difficult to get any information on Reyes. The last I heard was that he was expected to have surgery around the end of May but I don’t know if it has ever been confirmed if he indeed did have the surgery or how it went if he did. Everything has been radio silent on Reyes.

From John Denton of MLB.com:

RHP Alex Reyes (right shoulder soreness)
    Expected return: TBD
    Reyes met with Los Angeles orthopedist Dr. Neal ElAttrache on May 23 to get another opinion on his injured right shoulder. President of baseball operations John Mozeliak said the club expects Reyes to get surgery in the coming days but is awaiting final word from his latest consultation before offering any details. Reyes, who has not pitched this season, received a series of stem-cell injections in early March following an offseason of soreness in the labrum in his right shoulder. The Cardinals were hopeful that the injections, rest and a strengthening program might allow Reyes, 27, to avoid surgery. Now, the talented right-hander’s future of pitching again this season — and possibly ever again — could be in serious jeopardy.

Reyes, once considered to be the top pitching prospect in the Minor Leagues, has seen his career filled with injury-related stops and starts. He thought he was finally beyond those issues last season when he became a first-time NL All-Star. He converted his first 22 save opportunities before soreness and wildness in the strike zone resulted in him eventually losing his closer job to Giovanny Gallegos.

In parts of five seasons, Reyes has appeared in just 101 games — seven as a starter. He is 16-11 with a 2.86 ERA while also adding in 31 saves in 36 opportunities in his MLB career. (Last updated: May 23)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From The Cardinal Nation’s Major League Notebook, posted every Monday – and free for everyone who will read it.

RHP Alex Reyes (frayed right labrum) remains on the 60-day IL. The right hander had surgery on the shoulder back in May. It is unlikely Reyes will pitch this season.

St. Louis Cardinals Major League Notebook – Week of August 29-September 4

harley
    Participant

Free

It’s very strange that the organization hasn’t rid themselves of this guy. I believe he’ll never accomplish anything baseball related. Remember this is the guy who screwed the organization and fans with his silliness against the Dodgers in a one game playoff!
    I hope I never c him again. He should go home and hang from his mama’s apron where he might not get hurt.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Reyes is worth offering a contract to. He was very good for the first half of 2021 until his meltdown. He could offer a power arm in the bullpen.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I just wish that Reyes would play up to his potential. If he does it would be like trading for a much needed starting pitcher and I’d rather see him do that in a St.Louis uniform. 2023 will determine his fate with the Cards.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am a bit shocked Cards added Reyes to 40-man.Why? With his lengthy injury history the odds are poor that he will be able to contribute anything next season,Why not chance him going unclaimed and then work a out a minor -incentive deal with him?

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Have to cut Reyes loose..for sure! His body is 10 years older than it actually is.!!!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am a bit shocked Cards added Reyes to 40-man.Why?

That was probably a formality. They could still non-tender him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The reason why Reyes was returned to the 40-man is that by rule, all 60-day IL players must be returned to the roster no later than five days following the completion of the World Series. As noted, it has nothing to do with his 2023 contract.

But if the Cards non-tender him, why would he want to stay with them on a minor league contract? Someone will make 40-man room for him. And even if not, he most likely would want a fresh start elsewhere.

Personally, I don’t think he is going anywhere – yet. On the other hand, if he can’t throw effectively in spring training, I could see him cut then. At the end of camp is another time when roster spots are often needed.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, if a player receives arbitration but is cut before opening day is the team still on the hook for the salary?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The spring training results thought is moot. I just read in a P-D article that Reyes isn’t expected back until May.

But yes, arbitration contracts are guaranteed. That is a change in the new CBA that I hadn’t known until now.

This increases the urgency to assess Reyes’ readiness to pitch.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Reyes isn’t ready until May that increases his chances of being non tendered.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Seems like “not ready until May” usually means there is a 50/50 chance the guy will return after the all star break.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…You’re not kidding.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I fear Reyes must be let go. I can’t see the team spending $2.8 million on Stratton, much less on the ghost of Alex Reyes. This makes me so sad. I really love and root for this guy.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Non tendering Stratton and Reyes would be the smart business decision if our budget is as tight as they claim.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

With just a little careful thought it’s obvious that the Cardinal budget is indeed as tight as is claimed by Cardinal upper management and ownership. Last season the Cardinals only managed to draw 3.3 MM fans, but that’s just the beginning of the tragic story. Over the last 10 seasons, Redbird attendance has averaged just a little above 3.4 MM fans. It’s no accident that ownership will never publicly disclose their meager profit margins, because if they did, they could quite possibly be relegated to the status of a failed business operation that would qualify for government assistance. Owning a Big League ballclub is a tough out and the owners of these teams are not unlike anyone else in the sense that, they too, have to eat.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Well said. Perhaps if they branched out into this new fangled television thing, they could scrape up some extra cash to make ends meet.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Successful teams make room for players like Alex Reyes unless it’s absolutely clear that they will not provide value. Most likely there will be 20+ other teams happy to snap Reyes up if we let him hit the market. I could easily see him saving 20 games with an ERA in the 1s or low 2s for LA the second half of 2023. Of course, if he’s just not going to be back then it would make sense to move on and spend those peanuts on some deep bench bat or mopup reliever.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Last season the Cardinals only managed to draw 3.3 MM fans, but that’s just the beginning of the tragic story.

Haha. Yep, the boys in the ivory tower never lie about anything. And don’t believe the little boy who said they aren’t wearing any clothes.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think they should try to get him to do a 2-yr contract like the Cubs did with Smyly I believe (the first time)

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Well I am wrong as usual. They are willing to give Stratton 2.8 million. I hope that wasn’t Alex’s money.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

They gave Stratton 2.8 MM after seeing 5-0 with a 2.78 ERA in a shade under 23 IP in a Cardinal uniform. His totals for last season read a 4.26 ERA in 63.1 IP. He was 10-4 for ’22, but I distinctly recall him being in the right place at the right time to be the winning pitcher of record for the Cardinals in more that a couple of those wins he picked up as a Cardinal. I will give him credit in the area of not serving up many taters. He didn’t allow a single HR as a Cardinal and was only victimized by the HR 4 times in his entire body of work in ’22.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reyes has been non-tendered. So has Ben DeLuzio.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years