Alex Reyes

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

My heart weeps, and Deluzio is better than Mercado.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

John Brebbia knows the feeling. Get healthy if you can Alex.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes’s projected arb salary was about what they just signed Stratton for, $2.8ish. It seems like more of a roster space move than whether he was likely to be worth the money. I think we are at about 37 now and maybe a couple pitchers that could be offloaded still without losing much.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless Reyes misses more than half the year, I think this will ultimately prove to be a mistake. We will see…maybe he will miss all of 2023 as well.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This Reyes decision is not a surprise and in my opinion is the right decision. Eventually you have to be able to stay on the field.

As for DeLuzio I really liked him but I guess Mercado will get a chance to take his spot.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So…..he was one month short of becoming a 5/10 player?

Or am I way out in leftfield again?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

He’s 5 alright, but a long way from the 10 threshold.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

I wouldn’t mind if they kept Reyes, but at some point you have to wonder what the arm injuries have taken out of him. I assume he will be on an innings/pitch count and probably can’t throw back to back games out of the pen this next year

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Still weeping…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Deluzio did what he was acquired to do, provide CF capable OF defensive depth. That type of player can always be had, so there is no real reason not to free up the roster slot going into the off season.

With Reyes having recurrent shoulder trouble it was time to move on. There is seldom anything good once a pitcher has significant shoulder trouble. A glimmer of former days between IL stints is what happens.

That is the likely path for Flaherty, unfortunately, despite what he has said about it. Matz has logged IL time due to shoulder troubles two of the last three seasons. The bum shoulder thing again, but we can hope for a miraculous cure I guess. And just to pile on a little, I will not be hugely surprised if Waino pulls a lot of IL time in 2023. I don’t really buy the unnoticed mechanics problem thing. He knows what he’s doing and so does the Cardinals staff. Likely the altered mechanics were compensating for some problem. We will probably find out what next season.

It is different with elbows and TJ rehab cases like Hudson. A difficult first year once back on the mound is not dire. Its not a positive, but he could still rebound. Two difficult years is a different story, so we will have to see what happens.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats asked:

So…..he was one month short of becoming a 5/10 player?

No. My comment was about the elapsed time since he first signed as a teenager. That included minors and majors time.

Remember that once a player reaches six years of MLB service, he can become a free agent. Reyes is at just over five years (much of which was on the IL). He was non-tendered now because the arbitration system in place (for players between three and six years of service) would likely award him a higher salary than he is expected to earn back for the team.

Hope that clarifies.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.