2nd Base defense…

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2nd Base defense…

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When a player strikes out 3.4 times for every BB, it’s puts a lot of pressure on his BA to carry an OBP worthy of the top of the order.

A career .329 BAbip could easily have a higher OBP than .337 (+.008), with a closer to league average K per BB. It’s Tommys’ BB% at mlb that needs continued development, to help carry him through hot and cold BAbip weeks.

Participant

I would be thrilled to see Carpenter follow the real Ponce De Leon to the Fountain of Youth, get his mojo back and earn some of the pricey extension contract. I would bend over backwards to have him be a productive second-baseman and Edman back as our supersub. I’ve always admired Carp’s versatility and that he could and did play wherever he was asked to. I have the same admiration for Edman.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Carp’s defense at: 1B, 2B & 3B. One of these things is also not like the other. Carp has routinely made a mess of things over the years at 2B and that’s why he’s played relatively sparingly there.

I wouldn’t trust much that Mo or Shildt have to say on this right now. It’s a delicate situation for them. If they decide to double down on the idiocy of giving Carp more than infrequent token appearances at 2B, Carp will quickly remind them of their idiocy.

Participant

Free

25 – I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with you regarding speed for a lead off man. Yes, OBP is the most important thing, but speed on the base paths and the threat of stealing are still important. Some things never change.

Also, I choose not to copy and paste.
    It’s an individual thing. If you don’t want to take 8 seconds to google an article that’s certainly your choice. But it is a very good short article on Edman.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, I choose not to copy and paste.
    It’s an individual thing. If you don’t want to take 8 seconds to google an article that’s certainly your choice. But it is a very good short article on Edman.

Why would you choose not to copy and paste a link, when you are copying and pasting parts of the article?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Max Muncy might be a good comp for Gorman by size and weight. Max had 12 GS at 2B in the minors and 329 at 1B. 2B was Maxs’ fourth minors position after 1B, 3B and LF. At mlb it’s now his second most GS position, but it’s still going to come down to individual skills.

Playing some 2B should help Gormans footwork overall, even if 3B remains his primary position for his career.

Participant

Free

Personal choice, 25. We all make personal choices. We all have ways we are most comfortable posting.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro said:

Carp’s defense at: 1B, 2B & 3B. One of these things is also not like the other. Carp has routinely made a mess of things over the years at 2B and that’s why he’s played relatively sparingly there.

I wouldn’t trust much that Mo or Shildt have to say on this right now. It’s a delicate situation for them. If they decide to double down on the idiocy of giving Carp more than infrequent token appearances at 2B, Carp will quickly remind them of their idiocy.

I can appreciate your prediction. However, I base what I say on my reading of the situation. Mo was crystal clear when he said if Carp hits, he will play. I happen to believe that.

Certainly, one can argue what percentage odds to attach to the scenarios, but there are only two possible outcomes. If Carpenter doesn’t hit, he will ride the pines. If he does hit, Edman seems the most likely to lose playing time. It isn’t any more complicated than that.

Participant

Free

“When a player strikes out 3.4 times for every BB, it’s puts a lot of pressure on his BA to carry an OBP worthy of the top of the order.

A career .329 BAbip could easily have a higher OBP than .337 (+.008), with a closer to league average K per BB. It’s Tommys’ BB% at mlb that needs continued development, to help carry him through hot and cold BAbip weeks.”

Ya gotta love this stuff! Is there an English version of this?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My bad. Wouldn’t hurt Tommy to walk more, nothing bad about his K rate.
    I guess “here’s why” doesn’t always need to be included.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I happen to believe that.

And that’s the bad part. I don’t put it past them either to keep Carp on the field where he shouldn’t be. If injury forces it, so be it, but otherwise it goes against how this team has been successful in the last couple years. If they go significantly with Carp at 2B, they are begging for issues. Going from gold glove to “doesn’t belong there” at a defensive position is not a winning recipe. Not that they had a choice, but I suppose Carp would’ve been the better guy to deal away (vs Fowler) considering how they mix with the existing roster for 2021.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

My thought is that Edman will get most of the second base time in 2021. Carpenter is not likely to regain his 2018 form, but you do have to give him the opportunity to see if he can get back to that level, or close to it.

As for lead off, a more disciplined Bader would be capable of filling that role. But again, we are hoping a guy can progress.

Is Sosa in the running at all as a possible second slacker? He’s a guy I like a lot, and would not be surprised to see him pass DeJong if Paul gets into one of those funks where swings and misses much of the time. But if DeJong hangs on to short, maybe Sosa could work out at second?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I really think it’s a bad idea to start Carpenter at second base. He wasn’t good there years ago, and he likely has less range than then. I would possibly use him part time as DH against rhp’s, assuming there is some form of DH. Also, he can spell Goldschmidt and Arenado when they need a day off. This is all assuming his hitting improves from the last 2 years. For if he is hitting .180 in July his very roster spot has to be in jeopardy.

Participant

Zachary Silver (MLB.com) story regarding Edman who has convinced Silver that he is here to play, no matter where. He has the type of attitude that is getting harder and harder to find.

“We actually got some outfield work in [this week], just running around the field tracking fly balls,” Edman said, “making sure I’m staying ready for whatever I’m needed.”

Nothing new, in other words. He still has his gloves, just in case.

Participant

Free

Tommy Edman is excellent. Lead him off and play him at 2nd every day.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years