2023 StL Game #62: Tuesday, June 6 at Rangers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #62: Tuesday, June 6 at Rangers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:05 p.m.
    LHP Matthew Liberatore (1-1, 4.91) vs RHP Dane Dunning (4-1, 2.06)
    BSM // KMOX
    (and Bally Sports Southeast/Southwest Extra)

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yesterday it was baserunning, defense and the shift mostly. With an assist to some bad at bats and perplexing pen usage. At least there was a little bit of a twist to the futility. Maybe today Steve Carlton Liberatore can put on a show.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Does not look good on paper but – you never know….

Obviously the Cards are floundering on all levels and top down changes in leadership and philosophy are needed – but most likely won’t occur.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, they’re floundering alright, but we should be used to it by now. The Cardinals have spent a total of 38 days in last place this season. That’s been by far their primary residency in the NLC standings.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Maybe today is Ollie’s “D-Day”. Put on a lousy showing tonight, and don’t bother coming to work tomorrow.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I mentioned yesterday that Miami 2B’man Arraez leads the Big Leagues with a .392 BA. Well, he’s now up to .399 after a 3 for 4 night in Miami’s 9-6 win over KC yesterday. He’s 68 pct. pts. above 2nd place Freddie Freeman and is now 20 for 38 in his last 10 games. That’s pretty good. In fact, that’s .526…Haha! I almost wish it were around the end of August. I’ve seen a little of this and I’ve seen a little of that, but there’s never been a .400 hitter in my lifetime. The great George Brett came the closest when he scorched a .390 in 1980. At any rate it probably won’t happen, but it’d be fun to see Arraez close enough to have a chance in the last month. I’d sure be rooting for him.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I watched the post-game presser last night and he looked and sounded like he may know something, Bikemike. I felt bad for him. He’s probably a nice guy and it’s certainly not his fault that he was charged with a task that’s proven to be beyond his capabilities. At any rate, his tone and countenance told me he could possibly be aware that the jig may be up in Texas.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Cleveland’s only 5 games under and 3.5 back in the ALC standings, so I don’t know why they’d do it, but I happened to see an article time stamped from this morning that claimed Donovan, Liberatore and O’Neill for SP’er Bieber.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, we saw a winner of 10 consecutive GG awards display an oven mitt on 2 horrendous misplays in last night’s game, so I decided to give everyone a chance to become eligible for a chance to be awarded their very own coveted oven mitt with a little baseball trivia…

Besides being Big League players and managers, what do Don Zimmer, Ted Williams, Whitey Herzog, Bruce Bochy and Billy Martin all have in common?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Brendan Donovan (L) LF
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Nolan Gorman (L) 2B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Willson Contreras (R) C
    6. Alec Burleson (L) DH
    7. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    8. Jordan Walker (R) RF
    9. Tommy Edman (S) CF

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Let’s say we lose this game tonight 6-1 to the Rangers.

What do you folks think the odds are we will have a new manager for the Wednesday game?

0%?

20%

50%

90%

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d say 0% Rat.

On the subject of din-din, my wife was reaching for something at the grocery store and grabbed a can of Spam by mistake. So its up to me to figure out what to do with it. My son already said use it for bait to catch something to eat. Any ideas?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Fry it up and smother it with some Mac and Cheese. Yum.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I would not trade Donovan, Liberatore and O’Neill for Bieber. Horrible trade for us.

On those guys 1TD listed, I will say the answer is they all managed the Rangers at one time.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

As for a new manager, I think Thursday will be the announcement if we are swept. If we somehow manage to win the next two, Ollie hangs on for a bit longer.

If we split, it’s a toss up.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Nice…You aced it Bikemike! All those guys are either former or current Texas Ranger’s managers. When I looked it over I thought to myself, “There’s some pretty impressive names on that list.” In any event, I didn’t include them, but Eddie Stanky, Doug Rader and Bobby Valentine also once managed the Rangers. You get the oven mitt, but make sure you never allow Nado to use it…Haha!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Horrible trade for us”

That’s my concern, a trade where Mo tries too hard. Gotta figure O’Neill is included just to help offset salary.
    —-
    Bibee
    for
    Donovan

Is more of what I hope for. They need offense, we need pitching.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The poor Rangers. Jacob DeGrom needs Tommy John surgery. Done for 2023 and most of 2024.

Maybe he can salvage a couple of good years for the Rangers.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That was a risky signing, and now deGrom is lost for at least a year.

Thanks for oven mitt 1TD. I will add it to my collection, which I display proudly next to my autographed 8×10 color glossy of Dick “Dr Strangeglove” Stuart.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

On that trade talk, it is dumb to include Liberatore in a trade for pitching. We need pitching, so why give up a young left hander that has just had success in AAA.

Donovan for Bieber is okay, and throw in O’Neill since it seems he is destined Togo elsewhere anyway. I love Donovan, but would be okay with dealing him for Bieber. No way I put Libby in a deal.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Stuart sums up the “Ol’ Perfessors” credo that proclaims, “I don’t like them fellas who drive in two runs and let in three.” And the nickname once again reminds me that Billy Jr. is the spitting image of President Merkin Muffley…

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

What I learned from last night’s discussion is that there are a bunch of old geezers on here like me. Oh and zero percent chance the manager is fired before Thursday and probably not even then unless the ownership wakes up and cleans house. Yeah I didn’t think so.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

You may be right, TexasCard. I can envision a scenario in which they simply decide to let it eat, so to speak, and wait until the off-season and then make some significant changes when everything quiets down during the dead of winter. In the mean time, Johnny’s couched somehwere in a safe house while his seat in the sky box at Busch is occupied by the guy with the nice hair.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not sure if our chances are better tonight with Steve Carlton Liberatore or tomorrow with Our Jack.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Alexa Datt did a pretty good interview with Mo in the pregame. Worth watching if you can. What’s wrong with the team and what can they do about it? He says inconsistency is the biggest problem and didn’t want to point out starting pitching, bullpen, lineup, etc. as specific problems. Admitted that the team isn’t doing the small things right and won’t start to win again until they do. Absent from his responses was any personal responsibility for where the team is now or how it is managed on the field. Sounded like he’s a little delusional that the team just needs to tweak a few things in their performance and they’ll be fine. The problems run much deeper as we’ve all discussed, but he didn’t address any of that.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years