2023 StL Game #18: Tuesday, April 18 vs. Arizona

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #18: Tuesday, April 18 vs. Arizona

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

We’re only 3 games off the pace for the WC, Euro…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

That helps, but not much.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

What is it these days with announcers and analysts, impossible to say a pitch is high? It’s always “elevated.” It’s never high and outside, it’s “elevated and away.” Is that part of the new rules perhaps?

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Our starting pitching is still just a complete disaster. It has to be the pitching coach.

That and scouting and pitching talent. It’s the perfect storm, really. I’m not sure what they do, but something has to give soon. Maybe bring up one or two AAA guys. The trade market isn’t ready yet, so they are boxed in because of the lack of offseason moves to shore things up. The front office failed this team, in my opinion.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another complaint about our pitching staff is our failure to pitch inside. You have to establish inside, otherwise hitters can Slap away to opposite field. Especially with pitchers like Hicks and Helsley who dominate inside.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, giving the paid gate something to cheer about.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Need a benevolent baseball gypsy to place one on a T for Nado…

Drifterbob
    Participant

Free

Can we please get a manager with some intelligence? Not going to win many games when you leave your starter in to give up 7 runs. And pinch hitting for Gorman? He should have pinch hit for Carlson. His moves continue to astound me.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe bring up one or two AAA guys.

Guys who weren’t good enough to make the team a month ago are not going to save us now. We are looking at the best we’ve got.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

The front office got what they wanted – a manager who goes by the metrics for every decision from lineups to pinch hitting to scheduled days off.

It’s very noticable and off putting.

4-4 in the second 10.

Somehow, this team needs to go on a tear to go from 4 under to 4 over….

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, I can recall a time as a young boy in school when as soon as I was reasonably proficient at calculating weights and measurements using the imperial system, my teacher attempted to confuse me by tossing the proverbial monkey wrench into my train of thought by insisting that I should scrap that line of thinking and convert to metrics…I made a short lived attempt to appease her, but I soon found myself slotting Cepeda at lead-off and Brock at clean-up. Needless to say, I reverted back to the tried and true system I was familiar with.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m going to chalk last night as a weird one we should have won. When an opposing player pulls a Vlad Senior on you by getting a hit on a ball that bounces before the plate, and Contreras dawdles on a throw while picking off a runner. It really can’t get any weirder.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

You almost knew it was going to be a weird experience about 2 hours prior to first pitch when you glanced at the Cardinal line-up. Then, when you saw the base hit you mentioned and the botched run down at 3B, it was confirmation that the bizzaro circus had indeed hit town.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another ugly loss…..sigh

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

It’s not yet even 1/8 into the ’23 season and the Cardinals are all alone in last place at 6 full games off the pace in the NLC. Furthermore, beginning in early May, they face a stretch of 19 consecutive games without an off day that has the potential to decimate both an already exposed rotation and an overworked BP. If the current pace continues for another 3 to 4 weeks, we could well be staring at a scenario that illustrates a team which is buried at 10 to 12 games off the pace more than a month prior to even considering any reinforcements at the deadline. It’s my belief that before that scenario’s allowed to take place, a managerial change will be undertaken.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am hoping that a starting rotation change will take place.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

What kind of rotation change? High quality pitching is expensive and risky. They are not keen on spending tons of money and totally averse to risk. So far they haven’t been smart or lucky if you want throw in luck there with their pitching choices. They are getting what they paid for in Matz. There was no reason to extend Mikolas. Montgomery is ok but not a top pitcher but I would keep him as a #3. Flaherty is good but not sure if can become an ace and I think he is getting out town as soon as he can. Waino is old and should have retired. Don’t know what we have in Woodford but he is not a top of the rotation pitcher. Liberatore deserves a chance.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At this point any change would be welcome. Give Liberatore and Hudson a shot.

Here are the batting average against stats for our rotation:

Flaherty: .191
    Montgomery: .275
    Matz: .328
    Woodford: .345
    Mikolas: .396

Then Pallante at .324 and Hicks at .400

I don’t think I have ever seen anything that bad in my life.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Looks like Ted Williams, Ty Cobb and Tony Gwynn.

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.