2023 MLB All-Star Game

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 MLB All-Star Game

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody have any clue when the All Star Game will return to St. Louis? I think the last one was in 2009 if I recall correctly.

And as a side note……din-din today will be the weekly trip to the Gasthof, the Amish restaurant. Fried chicken, meatloaf, fish, mashed potates/gravy, green beans, noodles, dressing, maybe sweet potatoes, some cherry cobbler and finally some soft serve vanilla ice cream. Then afterwards sit out in the little porch area with a cigar.

r/Esteemed Rat

Oliver
    Participant

Free

do you eat chicken, meatloaf and fish in the same meal? not to mention mashed potatoes and noodles??

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

What’s wrong with that? I always have baked taters, with twice baked taters, with fried taters, with tater pancakes and boiled taters, all topped off with scalloped taters and au gratin taters…I’ll take them taters any way you want to tater them up…Did I mention tater chips?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I previously mentioned the fact that I think one day off would be plenty enough for these guys after 19 straight games. They’ve all got plenty of work to do, so why not get after it? Too much idle time will only serve to render them lazy…Like me!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They are all going to spend two days wolfing down BBQ, guzzling beer and laying around on the sofa playing video games.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Of course they will. And then the party girls will show up around dusk and you know what that means…They won’t be any good for anything for at least a week.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

The Phillies are paying a little over $27M for him this season and are on the hook for 10 more years. After 57 games, Tommy Edman has Trea Turner outclassed in every category.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are a couple things conspiring against the Cardinal AS contenders. First is a last place team is not likely to attract many, or any, cross over votes from followers of other teams. Next is Freeman will out poll Goldy. Next is its not necessarily the all stats team, so Gorman may not get the attention he deserves outside of the Cardinals fan base. That last place thing again. And then the outfielders will have a lot of competition, and are not setting the world on fire anyway. Nobody is used to seeing Edman or Donovan in the outfield, unless they follow the Cards closely. Noot has some following, but hasn’t built on that with a blockbuster first third.

I’m not sure about guys making it as bench players. Lots of competition. I hope Waino makes it. We’ll have one anyway.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is really hard to digest the fact that our corps of outfielders is so weak that a couple of infield UTs are better outfielders than they are. That these guys are put up as outfield all star candidates after a relative handful of reps is absurd. But we’ve got nothing else.

Don’t get me wrong. We know they are outstanding all around ball players and do a good job out there.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Not sure if it continues to carry the weight it once did, but I was led to believe that incentives involving substantial dollar amounts were often included in contracts as rewards for AS appearances and also provided plenty of leverage in arb hearings and contract negotiations. Maybe that’s still the case, but it doesn’t seem like it’s mentioned as often as it once was. At any rate, I still enjoy the AS game, but it doesn’t seem to carry with it as much pride or rivalry between the 2 leagues as it once did. I can recall when players from both leagues were set to play the AS game as if a lot were riding on the outcome. Furthermore, I can only speak for myself, but I was always really disappointed if the NL didn’t win the game and I knew a lot of NL fans who felt the same way.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Unfortunately, the all-star game no longer holds much interest for me. At one time I actually cared who wins it. Now I find it a total yawner. Must be because I’m getting old.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, me too, CardFrance, but I still try to watch it. There’s nothing else going on. In fact, I’m pretty sure that the AS break is a time which is the only point during the year that not 1 game in any of the 4 major U.S. pro team sports is played. At least it used to be.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

When Rats goes to the Gasthof he orders the right side of the menu one week, then the left side the next week.

For me that would be a week’s worth of dinners, but Rats is no wimp like I am. He goes in there and says “bring it on!”

BTW – I still like the all star game, but it has lost a lot of its magic since interleague play began. It was a lot more special when the leagues were autonomous.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

How can anybody take seriously an election that allows a voter to cast five votes per day every day? The whole notion of “all-star,” especially when every team has to have one even if they don’t have one, is nonsensical to begin with.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB wants the clicks. I don’t think fans can even vote at the games anymore except with their phones. What MLB doesn’t understand (or maybe understands and doesn’t care) is how much parents and kids discussed the players on the ballot cards before punching in their choices in the “old” days.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah Bikemike, those old ballot cards used to litter the deck of the ballpark in the thousands. I haven’t been any sort of baseball memorabilia collector since I was still a young boy, but I think it would be neat if someone had a collection of 20 to 30 seasons worth of those cards with all of the past players names printed next to those check boxes.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Arozarena and Garcia are both studs. I don’t understand the club letting Garcia go essentially for nothing. You just look at him and you have to give him a shot.

With Randy, I understand that getting a young lefty that could anchor your staff for 10 years was enticing. So far the deal has been a bust, but maybe Libby will break through at some point. Management has not done too good with him so far – I think our management team has messed up on a couple of pitchers – Hicks for sure. We will see how it goes with Liberatore.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What MLB doesn’t understand (or maybe understands and doesn’t care) is how much parents and kids discussed the players on the ballot cards before punching in their choices in the “old” days.

My dad always brought all us kids down there so he’d get extra votes. I did the same with my kids. The objective was to figure out the weakest AL candidates and cast our block of votes for them.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha!…Yeah, whether you were a NL or AL guy you really wanted to see your league win the AS game. It was a genuine matter of pride. And I always had the same mindset during the WS. I don’t think there’s been a sliver of league allegiance for a long while, but at one time it was a big deal.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Back before inter-league play, it was a big deal on which league you favored. Now it’s really one big league with two conferences and six divisions. They retain the “league” name, but they are not really separate leagues.

I did not even like it way back as a kid when the AFL and NFL merged. I thought the leagues should stay separate, but have a combined draft. There is something special about separate leagues where you only play for a championship. It is watered down when the championship series is a rerun of games you played earlier in the year.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I think so too, Bikemike. I recall the NFL placing both the Baltimore Colts and the Cleveland Browns, who were powerhouse organizations at the time, over into the AFC after the merger with the intent being to even out the perceived balance of power, so to speak. The Jets promptly won the 3rd Superbowl and then the AFC dominated with teams like the Chiefs, Raiders and Steelers for quite a while to illustrate there was never any disparity at all. I thought the NFL offered up a very good sports spectacle until it began to erode in the early 80’s and I lost all interest by the time the 90’s rolled around. At any rate, this season’s baseball scheduling format has at last created what I was afraid of way back in ’97 when it began. It no longer matters who plays who.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, they moved the Colts, Browns and Steelers over to the newly christened “American Football Conference” to balance out 13 teams in conference. At the time of the merger the NFL had 16 teams and the AFL 10.

I do not know this for a fact, but I always thought the reason those three were chosen is that they were merged into the NFL in the ‘50s from whatever the league was called that they played in. I believe in the early ‘50s those franchises were in a different league, and eventually got moved into the National Football League. So once the later merger happened, they were the natural choice to move back over to the other conference, although it was all now the “NFL”. Again, I am not sure on that – more of an assumption on my part.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.