2022 MLB All-Star Game

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 MLB All-Star Game

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Game to be played Tuesday, July 19 at Dodger Stadium.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Five isn’t bad:

Goldy
    Arenado
    Edman
    Helsley
    Mikolas

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Does anyone legitimately care about the all-star game or whos on the team? I remember as a kid, 8-10 years old, and watching it because I wanted to see Ken Griffey Jr and maybe another player or 2. But I didn’t care hardly at all then, and then ESPN was a thing and then internet and so many other ways to see any player at any time and what was a very minor interest by the time I was in middle school was just 3-4 days I didn’t get to watch the Cardinals and I hated it. And I can guarantee for probably the 25th straight year I won’t watch a second of anything all-star related, because I just don’t care. And the Manfred adding old washed up players makes it more of a joke.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Is what it is. I play pinochle every Tuesday night. Sometimes it is on in the background. So I don’t see much. Is better that the Pro Bowl and the NBA Allstar game. I give it that. The injury odds aren’t as bad in baseball. When I was young it was the one shot you got to see a lot of the players. Diz and Peewee was your only choice back then. Saturday game of the week.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I loved the all star game as a kid. Also when I played a lot of APBA and put projects together, a highlight was always a mid-season all star “tournament” of sorts where my league all stars would play against teams of all time greats.

I still like the game and all the hoopla. Last year in Denver I went down around the stadium and took in the atmosphere and hype. I never liked Garry Templeton’s “if I ain’t start in’, I ain’t departing’” bit, but now even that is a part of all star history.

Not as cool as it was before inter-league play though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t watch the all star game much anymore. Back before interleague play, it was great. It’s one of the reasons I never wanted interleague play.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I agree that the game was better before IL play, Willie. The World Series was as well. Now the leagues are really conferences, but still use the name “league” as differentiators.

But it had to happen at some point. Look at college sports. Man, what a mess. I know I am an old guy and sounding that way, but college athletics were so much better when the conferences were regionally based. Now it is about getting best television deal.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My 5 Cardinal All Star selections looked pretty solid back on June 21st, but oh how things can change in just a short few weeks. Goldy, with a slight nod to Helsley, appear to be the only two Cardinals(besides Albert of course) worthy of true All Star consideration. And trust me, it pains me not to list Tommy E., but he has faltered over the past month…….but I’m confident he’ll come back strong. Without looking at the stats, Edman’s extra base hits seem to have greatly curtailed. Last year he was whacking doubles left and right…..but not this year.

And I echo some of the previous sentiments as far as losing interest in the All Star game. Long gone are the days of Pete Rose barreling into Ray Fosse to score the winning run. These days, Pete Rose wouldn’t even slide. Fosse would just softly apply the tag on Pete’s back, then Pete would gaze fondly into Ray’s eyes and say “thank God Ray, we don’t want this game to go into extra innings”. Then Ray would give Pete a friendly wink and Pete would saunter off to his dugout where he’d be met by slaps on the back and kind words, even though he didn’t even dirty up his uni a bit in an effort to win the game. All of we fans can thank Buddy Boy Selig for much of this complacent play. The baseball All Star game is definitely heading towards where the football All Star game presently sits.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, I remember as a young lad watching that 1970 game. My grandparents were visiting all the way from Georgia (my mom’s parents), along with an aunt and uncle and cousins. My grandpa was a huge baseball fan and we saw a great all star game. Baseball was still king then, although the NFL was getting close to neck and neck with it.

Once Monday night football took hold that Fall, the NFL, now merged into one behemoth of an organization under a still young and dynamic commissioner, pulled away from MLB to be the clear top choice among pro sports enthusiasts.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nolan Arenado and Ryan Helsley join Paul Goldschmidt and Albert Pujols as NL All-Stars.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Goldy, Arenado, and Helsley have been the leaders of the Team. Good to see the recognition for them. Maybe Miles makes the Pitching staff. Edman started the season hot but has reverted to what he is. A great utility player. That is his best role. No others that I see are even close.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the esteemed GameCard swimming in these waters, I generally try to refrain from using the words “Edman” and “utility player” in the same sentence. Nice seeing Arenado make the squad, as I thought he might be sitting on the fence. Here’s my bold prediction for Cardinal players on the 2023 All Star team:

Gorman
    Arenado
    Carlson
    Contreras
    Edman
    Helsley

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

I like seeing Contreras there.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I find that in recent years my interest in the all star game has fallen to somewhere close to zero.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I find that in recent years my interest in the all star game has fallen to somewhere close to zero.

I ditto that CIF. I have just never been terribly interested in events that celebrate the individual players over the teams, which is why I don’t get too worked up over the end of year awards either.

14NyquisT
    Participant

. I have just never been terribly interested in events that celebrate the individual players over the teams, which is why I don’t get too worked up over the end of year awards either.

I’m with you gscott…. 100%.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ditto that, Nyquist.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Apparently now, Albert is going to participate in the home run derby. Seems kind of absurd.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Albert won’t stand a chance if a righty is lobbing those home run derby pitches, Willie.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas pitched a very fine game tonight. Got rewarded with a few runs, should be a winner.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Pugs… AP is there for show. Just like he is in STL. But you knew that.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For sure, Nyquist. But maybe Albert will put on a show at this year’s HRD ( that’s “Home Run Derby” to the layman )? I’ve heard it said more than once that we males reach our peak strength in our early 40’s. All other physical aspects peak long before that age, but not our raw strength. So with the balls being just lobbed in, Albert just may have a field day at this year’s HRD. Matter of fact, I’m instilling Albert as the 7/2 favorite to win it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years