2022 Cardinals MLB Game 8 thread – Sunday, April 17 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 8 thread – Sunday, April 17 at Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No problemo Wooster & Bling

Hicks still on the hill here in the 6th.

Peterson hits a soft liner to Edman at 2nd for the first of what we aspire to be 3 quick outs here in the bottom of the 6th.

Wong – Grounds out routinely to Edman at 2nd.

Adames strikes out flailing at a 101mph Hicks offering off the outside corner. Still 4-3 Crew

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 7. Brad Boxberger toeing the Milwaukee rubber.

Knizner pops out to Wong on a very mellow infield popup.

Carlson – He and Goldy need to get it going offensively. Dylan pops out to Tellez at 1st……and unfortunately our Birds are in an infield popup hitting funk.

Goldy – Wow that 2-2 Boxberger pitch that was called a ball looked mighty true….take advantage of that gift, Goldy. And he won’t as he flies out to straight away left to retire the side

4-3 Crew

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Man. The Paul’s are having a rough, rough start.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ex-Tiger Verhagen on for the Cards here in frame #7.

Yelich is 1-9 thus far in this series. Walks. A couple years ago you wouldn’t hear me saying this but “don’t walk this guy, make him hit his way on”.

McCutchen infield single to the right side and Yelich is motoring towards 3rd!…..and Edmans throw will skip on by Arenado and the Brewers will have runners at 2nd and 3rd and nobody out. E-4.

Tellez fouls out to Arenado about 20 feet down the 3rd base line and there can be no advancement by the runners. Let’s see one more just like that.

Hiura strikes out swinging.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Narvarez is intentionally walked to load em up.

Taylor rifles a base hit to left on a hanging curve and that’ll plate a deuce and Milwaukee now has us doubled up at 6-3…..ouch that stung! And the leadoff walk set the stage for this trouble.

Peterson pops out to PDJ at short, but the damage has been inflicted.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

These intentional walks don’t seem to be working out for us today
    Are we over-thinking this game?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Devin Williams manning the mound for the Crew here in the 8th.

O’Neill whiffs on a high heater.

Arenado blisters a liner into the left field corner on an 0-2 offering for a double.

Albert trots on down to 1st on four consecutive Williams wayward ones. Nooty will pinch run for Big Al.

Edman represents the tying run in this game….. let’s hope he represents it well for his team. Tommy reaches out and aptly pokes it into center for a hit … Arenado will score with ease with Nooty slapping in the brakes at 2nd.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader strikes out as he couldn’t check his swing, but the ball goes to the backstop and the runners will easily move up a base. Now a base hit, not of the infield variety, will knot this affair up at 6.

PDJ – Come on Paulie boy! On 3-2 he walks on a high fastball after receiving a healthy diet of 5 straight changeups. Bases overflowing with anxious Redbirds.

Dickerson – oh goody goody gumdrop he walks….6-5 your new and improved score and that will send Williams and his 37 pitches scurrying to the showers

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Pinch Run Sosa for Albert instead of Noot, then PH for Bader with Noot. Just a thought.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s pray that this new Brewer reliever does not “gott” game today…..Trevor Gott in.

Carlson only .214 career with bases loaded .. let’s change that to the good right here and now. Dylan grounds out to 2nd and Wong nearly airmailed that easy throw into his own dugout. Well, we’ll have one more shot at these guys. 6-5 Brewers as we head to the bottom of the 8th.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cody Whitley pitching for St.Louis.

Wong is 0-3 thus far here today and mighty shaky in the field to boot. Make that 0-4 as he flies out to Bader in center.

Adames lines a hot shot grounder Arenado’s way, but that’s the wrong way to hit it if you’re a batter, as the Cardinal 3rd baseman nicely spears it and fires it with both authority and accuracy to Goldy’s waiting mitt at 1st for the out.

Yelich taps it right back to Whitley who’ll lolligag it on over to 1st to retire the side.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The closer(Hader) on for Milwaukee in the 9th.

Goldy grounds it right at Taylor at 3rd and he’ll wing her on over to Tellez at 1st for the out.

O’Neill strikes out on a very low Hader offering. But it took Hader 9 pitches to dispatch O’Neill…… let’s look at the bright side of things shall we

Arenado just hit it a country mile….make that two country miles, but unfortunately it veered too far left of the left field foul pole. He then strikes out swinging to end the ballgame. Hader’s 100th career save as the Brewers salvage the home series split here today with a 6-5 triumph.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Thought we were back with Arenado’s blast but, alas, it was foul. Then whiff. That’s all folks.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Cards are a .500 team with their crap rotation.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

5 runs should be enough. I didn’t see or hear the game, but its a pitching failure. 3 IP for the starter. A bunch of walks.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

They tried to give it to us but we barely managed to not take it. Good commentary Pugs. Thanks!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You’re most welcome, Wooster.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Arenado has had a lot of success pulling-off backdoor pitches this season. I thought it was funny when Thompson was making comments about it during today’s game and topped it off by saying he’s a pitcher’s nightmare. LOL! Gibson would knock batters down just for using this approach.

Both PDJ and Arenado will hit a HR, love the taste, and they just can’t help themselves. The problem with this, as Jimmy mentioned in a previous broadcast, is that you end up always looking fastball and you can’t hit the junk pitches unless they’re mistakes.

The point of my post is it’s just not the type of hitting approach you want to see if you want to be a contender. To make it to the playoffs means you’ll face good pitching. Good pitchers eat pull hitters for breakfast. If you’re hunting nothing but fastballs good pitchers will take advantage. As we have all seen Arenado and PDJ have sucked in the postseason. Small sample size yes.

Saturday’s game was fantastic. Lots of opposite field hitting.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wasn’t able to watch today, Easter things with family. Hudson not doing good again. I’m giving him one more start. If he doesn’t get it together, I’m moving him to the minors to work on things. Losses now mean as much as they do later. We can’t just give games to guys to work things out up here. Hitting wise it seemed a little weak, could have been better. I still think Albert needs to dh more vs regardless of pitchers throwing arm. Sosa should get a few more starts. If pujols is still going to not get as many starts, let nootbar dh more.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he doesn’t get it together, I’m moving him to the minors to work on things. Losses now mean as much as they do later.

First, if Hudson goes to the minors, then Woodford steps into the rotation. There is no rotation depth at Memphis presently ready to face MLB hitters.

Second, careful with that ‘losses now mean as much’ stuff willie. The “its a marathon” blather runs deep.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson seems off…which isn’t unusual after TJ comeback. But he looked primed to step in and contribute after his solid September last year, so this is just confusing. I really hope he’s not another case like Wacha of an injury totally derailing his career. He was looking really good when he went down in 2020.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well blingboy, I don’t really mind Woodford in the rotation. Far as nobody in minors ready, well if Hudson doesn’t get it together, then maybe he isn’t ready. Like I say, at some point you have to start considering it. It is a marathon but you just can’t give away games. If we end up two spots back, two losses now are just as to blame as two losses later.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t disagree with any of that willie. I just don’t know if there is a more compelling argument to pull the plug on Hudson already than there is to pull it on the guys hitting under.200 so far.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is why I stumped for another SP’r this offseason that would have pushed Hudson to the pen to start the season. His IP has limits this season anyway and he’d be easier to manage by each outing.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think almost everyone recognized the need for another starter except for the FO. I can see us overpaying for Manaea this coming off-season after refusing to pony up for a trade this year.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.