2022 Cardinals MLB Game 89 thread – Monday, July 11 vs. Phillies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 89 thread – Monday, July 11 vs. Phillies

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:15 p.m.
    RHP Miles Mikolas (5-6, 2.61) vs. RHP Aaron Nola (5-6, 3.15)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully we can get the split before the Dodgers come into town on Tuesday. We really need to get some of our injured and sick players back soon. Too many guys in the lineup hitting below .200.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Philly already has secured the head-to-head advantage over our Cards. If we finish in a tie with Philly at season’s end, does that come into play?

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

scottar the problem with players coming back is Verhagen and McFarland. Naughton and Fernandez will probably be sent down. That isn’t good.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Redbirds need to find a way to get something going offensively. Not getting much out of catchers, Dickerson, Nootbaar or Sosa. It could be awhile before Yadi or O’Neill get back … and no guarantee they will return and contribute immediately. Ugh!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pugs asked:

Philly already has secured the head-to-head advantage over our Cards. If we finish in a tie with Philly at season’s end, does that come into play?

The answer is “absolutely”! It is the very first tiebreaker.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Brian. That puts us an additional game behind Philly for a WC slot. This is a very big game tomorrow.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is possible that it would be better to be the third WC team instead of the second, if the first WC team is better than the Division winner with the worst record.

Neither the second nor the third WC will have any home games their first series. So winning that series and advancing to the next would then guarantee at least one post season home game. That itself would be an incentive to position for the best chance of advancing. Theoretically, this could result in two teams trying to out-lose each other at the end of the season to come in 3rd instead of second.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Pugs asked:

The answer is “absolutely”! It is the very first tiebreaker.

At the rate this season is playing out, I’m too sure we have to worry about it. Hey on a side note isn’t Philly on their second manager of the season? That’s rhetorical I know the answer…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bb, my perception is that teams that try to lose to get more favorable matchups can end up hurting themselves by being too cute. Winning isn’t a switch that can be turned on and off at will. (I readily admit that I don’t have data to support this.)

Then again, I won’t throw out the baby with the bath water. Considering how the Cards are playing lately, if they are assured of being the second or third wild card, I am pretty sure most here would be happy about that. (As of now, BP has the Cards’ odds of reaching the playoffs at 46.2%.)

bccran
    Participant

Most of us would want a division trophy, and not be satisfied with a wild card.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, needless to say, a post season arrangement that could incentivize throwing games is a bad arrangement.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

scottar the problem with players coming back is Verhagen and McFarland. Naughton and Fernandez will probably be sent down. That isn’t good.

I agree. Unfortunately the players with the contracts above league minimum usually get the benefit of the doubt.

But I think this team will be better off when O’Neill and Bader get back. Our OF is a bit of a shambles right now. We aren’t going to win many games with the bats of Dickerson and Noot or the gloves of Donovan and Yepez.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

Most of us would want a division trophy, and not be satisfied with a wild card.

Again, what we might WANT vs. what we will realistically GET is the major difference here. Of course, everyone wants them to have the best record in MLB and sweep their way to the World Series championship. But that is dreaming. Reality will almost certainly be something less. How much less remains to be seen, but if the season ended today, the Cards would be watching the playoffs on TV.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

It’s way to early, but as of today, the third WC team would play in Milwaukee. I’d be in favor of that vs playing the Braves, Padres or Phillies.

PadsFS
    Participant

blingboy

BW, needless to say, a post season arrangement that could incentivize throwing games is a bad arrangement.

I could absolutely see a team not use their best pitchers in a game like that, ‘saving’ them for the playoffs.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Who would be the Cards 1, 2 and 3 pitchers?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That depends on how Flaherty and Metz pan out

bccran
    Participant

Most Cardinal fans I know don’t expect the Cardinals to be best team in MLB and sweep to the World Series Championship, Brian. They just want a team capable of winning the Central and not be a short series and short term WC team every year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GameCard
    Participant

Free

When is Donavan scheduled to return?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty to the 60 IL opens a spot on the 40 man roster. With O’Neill and Bader evidently out a while yet, maybe it is Burleson’s time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.