2022 Cardinals MLB Game 43 thread – Tuesday, May 24 vs. Blue Jays

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 43 thread – Tuesday, May 24 vs. Blue Jays

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You’re very welcome Wooster & Stlcard25! Glad to do it. It gets a little difficult to keep up with the PBP sometimes with the phone calls and the wifey and wonderful 6 year old granddaughter coming into the room. Tonight was unusual in that I had virtually no distractions. One day when I retire, I hope to be calling many, if not most of these games…..if Brian, UCONN, BicycleMike and you guys will have me.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Its so odd (not really considering this FO loves to doublespeak) that Hicks is the 5th starter after not pitching much the past few seasons after they insisted Reyes couldn’t start last year for the same reasons.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Giants led the Mets 8-2 going into the 7th. The Mets got two in the 7th and then scored seven runs in the 8th to take a 11-8 lead. Then Joc Pederson, the should-a-been 2021 MVP, slams a splash three run homer and ties the game 11-11.

The Met better just lead off the 9th with a triple. Got to get back to the couch with Whitey Herdog……..

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Woodford started and went 3 innings for Memphis last night. Got hit around pretty good. He had some decent outings in relief earlier but lets not get carried away. In AAA he has always been a .500ish starter with an ERA over 4. Much like Oviendo. Putting either in the rotation is pretty much saying we got nothing. But the sad fact is we have nothing to throw into the rotation, so why not.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Blingboy. saying Woodford got hit around pretty good yesterday is a very misleading statement… did you watch the game? I did. He actually pitched ok. First inning error on a tailor made dbl play ball that extended him two more batters. I agree 70 pitches in 3 innings is not good, but without the error he would have gone at least 4, maybe 5. He gave up 1 earned run, and struck out 3.! He has done quite well in the show with his starts. He is the logical choice to give some opportunities to start.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve never been much of a believer in Woodford, but at this point I think he’s a better option than Hicks. He may just be able to keep riding his run of success for a long time, as it seems like he did develop the ability to get more Ks along the way.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Certainly agree with you stlcard25. His k’s are up for sure. He was the best option out of spring, but Hicks got the call..wonder why? He needs to get 3-4 starts under his belt, no reason he can’t pick up where he left off last Sept.!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Some folks are overly impressed by velocity. There are any number of examples that throwing hard does not necessarily lead to getting outs and winning games. Perhaps Hicks will eventually turn things around, but right now he does not inspire a whole lot of confidence.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Somebody please tell me what the $!@&*!, these guys are doing on the MLB roster..???

NickWittgren
    4.86 ERA 16 inngs. 20 hits. 9runs. 4 HB 7BB 7K’s 1.62whip .303avg. against.

T.J.McFarland
    7.31 ERA 16 inngs 22hits. 13runs 1HB 6BB 9k’s 1.75whip .355 avg/ against.

what is going on in St.Louis? I thought Marmol said that roster/playing time would be directly related to performance on the field.? Maybe not…

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

I wonder if I should repeat my reply to this post again?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lee, I agree Woodford is the best option to replace Hicks in the STL rotation. It never helps when the defense gives them 4 outs, but he has to stop the bleeding.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Hopefully Hicks goes to the pen or, if they are absolutely determined that he’s going to be a starter, that they send him to Memphis for 4-5 starts and see what happens.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

If I had to guess they’ll wait till Flaherty comes back which was the reason for the move to begin with. Flaherty is on track for mid June supposedly.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Until then u have to plan on depleting your pen on the days Hicks pitches which weakens your effectiveness to save games for a few games thereafter. I guess Mo’s calculus shows this to be the best way to limit your losses.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matz and Hicks need replaced in the rotation. Westbrook, Liberatore and Rondon as candidates? The latter two are stretched out the best.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some folks are overly impressed by velocity.

One of the biggest culprits is Dan McLaughlin. Every time the radar gun hits 100 mph he gets so excited I have to mute the tv.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matz and Hicks need replaced in the rotation. Westbrook, Liberatore and Rondon as candidates? The latter two are stretched out the best.

No way are they removing Matz from the rotation when he comes off the IL.

1. They are paying him $44M.
    2. They don’t like to admit mistakes.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Lol … that’s where the deceptive marketing schemes makes them look silly. It’s more dumbing down of the fans.

You can’t be upfront because you expose the ugly realties of the organization & baseball for that matter.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

1982willie wrote:

Hicks didn’t have a problem with walks when he was in bullpen. It’s a different mindset.

Sorry willie, but I am afraid he did. In 116 innings of relief he walked 66 batters. The guy simply cannot throw the ball over the plate. Period. Until he learns to do so he is an accident waiting to happen. He turns 26 in September so he’s worth taking a chance on. But the chance needs to start down in Memphis.

r/Esteemed Rat

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Woodford needs at least 3 more starts in Memphis before even being moved back to STL for that role. He also needs to go at least 5 innings a couple starts.

70 pitches in 3 innings is a lot but I’m hearing mixed reviews.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yep, the problem has always been two recurring themes with both Jordan Hicks and Alex Reyes. One is they struggle with injuries, and two is that when they do pitch they struggle with command.

Reyes was good for the first half of last year – other than that neither guy has been able to sustain appearances with good command.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Along with Hicks and Reyes add Carlos. Injury wise add Flaherty. Remember all the bases loaded walks last year. Maybe should take a look at Maddux.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Maddux has been with a lot of teams. He is either expensive to retain or not very good (methods are dated).

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lucky there is no game in STL tonight. Hurricane moving through.

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.