2022 Cardinals MLB Game 43 thread – Tuesday, May 24 vs. Blue Jays

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 43 thread – Tuesday, May 24 vs. Blue Jays

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 4.

Kirk slaps a grounder ticketed for center field, but Edman cuts the ball off before it can exit the infield, but cannot do anything constructive with the baseball….nice try by Tommy…base hit.

Chapman walks and now things are getting a bit dicey here for Hicks & Co.

Jansen ….oh oh!…..cranked a mile high and a mile deep to left and nobody but someone in the upper bleachers will have an opportunity to touch that ball and it’s now 4-0 Jays. Jansen really belted that baby.

Tapia walks. And Hicks is getting the hook here. 78 pitches tonight.

Wittgren on in relief for St. Louis

Pass ball sends Tapia down to 2nd base.

Springer sends a one-hopper out to Edman at short , where Tommy will check and hold Tapia at 2nd and then throw to 1st for the out.

Espinal grounds it routinely down to Arenado at 3rd and he’ll throw him out at 1st.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

I’m betting Hicks next appearance will be with Memphis

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks is just flat out not a starter. Take him back to the bullpen and let him stabilize one of the late innings.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Never knew that….thanks for the info, Mr. Perkins.

Sorry to hear about your ailing Hammy, Wooster. Looks like both Hammy & WhiteyHerDog need some good home cooking to get them on the mend and turning summersaults.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 4th(continued)

Tapia to 3rd on a Wittgren wild pitch.

Guerrero walks.

Bo Bichette…. didn’t he just bat? Flies out to Bader in center.

Jays 4
    Cards 0

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks suffers from development malpractice by the organization. He never did anything above A ball and here he is in a major league rotation.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Might be time to pull the plug on the Hicks as a starter experiment. Let’s give Woodford a shot.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 4

Pez strikes out looking on an extremely delayed call by the home plate ump…. it’s almost like he counted to 10 quickly in Spanish before calling that a strike……wow, I’d hate to be right behind him in the McDonald’s drive thru line…..it would take the guy 15 minutes to decide what he wants.

Gorman whiffs…. Gausman’s 5th K.

Dickerson hits a rocket to right, but right at Hernandez to retire the side.

Jays 4
    Cards 0

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At a kids ballgame so can’t watch but the Hicks experiment is a bust. I didn’t like it from get go and I like it even less now. At least we could be getting beneficial relief pitching if he was still in bullpen but as is we are just having to over use our bullpen in his starts. If we had nobody to take his spot in rotation it would be one thing but we have guys that would be better. Just ineptitude by the organization.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 5. Wittgren still on the hill.

Hernandez pops it up on the right side of the infield…where Edman will drift all the way over near the 1st base bag to haul it in.

Kirk doubles down the line in right.

Chapman goes the other way and hits it in the air with authority to right where Donovan will catch it just a foot or so in front of the track for the out…..Kirk moves to 3rd.

Jansen flies out to Bader in center.

Jays 4
    Cards 0

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 5

Bader shows bunt on the first pitch but quickly draws his bat back. Harrison strikes out for Gausman’s 6th K on the evening.

Knizner smokes a base hit to left.

Edman strikes out swinging…… Tommy looked like he had notions to slice this deficit in half on that hardy hack.

Donovan on 3-2 taps a comebacker right back to Gausman who will take a couple of quick strides towards 1st and then underhand the ball over to Guerrero’s waiting mitt at 1st base to retire the side.

Jays 4
    Cards 0

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Internal options for a starter are pretty slim, I think you would be looking at Woodford (not sure mgmt trusts him as a starter), Oviedo (probably needs a season at least at AAA), Rondon (is mainly a relief pitcher) and VerHagen (I’m not sold on him at all as a starter or reliever). Not sure what else they have. I consider Libratore a starter already with the injuries to Matz and Flaherty.

Outside options I guess would be Montas with the A’s, possibly Castillo with the Reds in fire sale mode, I think the Marlins would jump at trading a starter (Not named Alcantra)for some hitting prospect(s)

Would be surprised to see the cardinals spending the big money on a older Starter Ala: Bumgarner, Grienke.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 6. Wittgren still pitching for the home team….and pitching fairly well thus far.

Tapia reaches out on a Wittgren 2-2 offering and lines it over Edman’s head and out into left-center field for a hit….Bader will quickly get the ball back in before the speedy Tapia has any ideas of sneaking past 1st base.

Springer drills a shot to right where Donovan….. doesn’t catch it and it’ll go all the way to the wall….Tapia rounds 3rd and he’ll safety tap home plate with Toronto’s 5th run as Springer will check into 3rd with a gift triple….. Springer did hit that ball right on the button, but I think Donovan must have lost that ball in the lights as he was right there for the catch…….and that’ll do it for Wittgren as we’re getting a pitching change here.

Verhagen on for St. Louis

Espinal flies out to Dickerson in left, but it will have enough distance on it to bring Springer on in from 3rd with Toronto’s 6th run on the evening.

Guerrero…oh oh!…..forget about that one as it’s long gone to left field and it’s now 7-0.

Bichette pastes a deep drive to center….and over Bader’s head and it’ll bang up against the wall and Bo can easily put it on cruise control as he trots into 2nd with a double.

Hernandez pops out to Goldy at 1st.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Well if you’re pretending you’re at this game better go find yourself a couple beers. We’re getting blown out tonight so far. On hitting and pitching. We have like 3 hits so far. No worries.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any starter would be an upgrade to Hicks. Plus our bullpen suddenly becomes better. Managenents view of Woodford can’t be trusted since their view obviously is that Hicks is a starter. He is not.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 6 (continued)

Kirk walks on a 3-2 high fast ball.

Chapman flies out to Bader in deep center.

Jays 7
    Cards 0

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another couple runs and Albert will start getting loose in the pen. Hopefully he’s been talking to Waino about Uncle Charlie.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Totally agree that Hicks should no longer start. He’s failed as a starter. And he should NOT be in the bullpen either. Until he learns to throw the ball over the plate he needs to be in Memphis.

r/Esteemed Rat

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks didn’t have a problem with walks when he was in bullpen. It’s a different mindset.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 6.

Gausman is surprisingly still out there on the hill.

Goldy with an infield hit…. Espinal gloved the ball a few feet north of 2nd base, but the throw to 1st base was not a true one…..but it’ll go down as a hit in the record books.

Arenado blisters a shot…..that Chapman at 3rd leaps high and brings it down for the out….nice play….if you’re a Bluejay fan.

Pez grounds it to Espinal behind 2nd….flips it to Bichette at 2nd base….safe at 2nd! Another infield hit….. let’s infield hit these guys to death and get back into this ballgame shall we?

Gorman strikes out swinging…..ouch, we needed to make a move there.

Dickerson pops out to Chapman at 3rd.

Jays 7
    Cards 0

Gausman finishes with what should be his last inning with 106 total pitches in the ballgame.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 7. Verhagen still pitching…..and he just may be out there for a good spell no matter if Toronto is having their way with him or not.

Jansen….oh my oh my oh my!…..hit wayyy back in left and long gone and these Jays are absolutely peppering our fine left field bleacher fans tonight with long hard fly balls….8-0.

Tapia grounds out to Arenado at 3rd.

Springer bounces it down to Arenado at 3rd where he’ll briefly double clutch the ball, but still will have a ton of time to get his man at 1st….2 down.

5-3 to retire the side.

Jays 8
    Cards 0

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 7. Ross Stripling is Toronto’s new main man.

Bader grounds it out to short….where it looks as if both Bichette and Espinal are both there to field the ball, but it’s Bichette taking charge and gloving it and throwing Harrison out at 1st base. Wow I don’t know if I’ve ever seen two infielders playing so close to each other in the field.

Knizner grounds out to Espinal at 2nd.

Edman lines it to right center….where it’ll split the two outfielders and head all the way to the wall and Tommy will check into 2nd base with a standup double.

Donovan grounds it into left for a hit and Edman will come around with the Cards’ first run tonight …oh boy what a difference it makes not having Mr. Gausman out there on the mound. I hope we don’t see that guy again until late October.

Goldy strikes out.

Jays 8
    Cards 1

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, it looks as if I’m the lone wolf left around here….which is totally understandable due to the score. So we’ll cease and desist with the PBP for the evening.

Junior Fernandez pitching the 8th for the Cards.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Good jobas usual Pugs. Still got the game on but doing some reading too. Thanks for the PBP

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs, I appreciate your PBP. Since I don’t have MLB.tv anymore, this is the way I follow Cards games. I check the PBP here and then go look at the box score and highlights. Thanks for keeping the game threads going even when it’s a poor effort by our Cards.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.