2022 Cardinals MLB Game 39 thread – Friday, May 20 at Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 39 thread – Friday, May 20 at Bucs

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards are slow to eat a contract.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I agree they try bleed a turnip contract wise but Paulie should be walking on egg shells. If a move hasn’t been made we still have someone to remove off the 40 man before tonight’s contest. Doubt it’s him though.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

PDJ will probably warm the bench and give Edman rest when he comes back.

If I were a rookie and could only be a DH for whatever reason and I couldn’t field a position, I wouldn’t be as marketable to other teams. Unless Walker turns out to be a Big Papi. I wonder what Walker thinks about playing third base? Should he be held back because of the ineptitude of the front office? We already know the best hitters play even if their defense is suspect (remember Jose Martinez?). So subbing for Arenado is unviable. How else could he field a position?

Flaherty has already voiced concerns over how he has been marketing regarding his arm injury (slap tear). Walker would really have an argument.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“Unless Walker turns out to be a Big Papi. I wonder what Walker thinks about playing third base?”

I don’t expect Walker to become a profanity-spouting, pear-shaped drug cheat. But if he stays healthy I do expect him to probably be 1/2 Matt Holliday and 1/2 Frank Robinson, which would be a big star of course. For their careers, Holliday was basically a 4-WAR per full season guy and Robinson was an amazing 6-WAR talent per 155 games. Both of them were terrific power-hitting corner outfielders who batted righty and didn’t hurt their teams in the field or on the bases, generally speaking.

If you asked Jordan Walker tomorrow about what position he wants to play in the majors, he’d just say “wherever they want me to play,” I’m sure. (His defensive numbers at the hot corner are quite poor this year [12 errors and just 2 double plays], and also were not good last season, so even if the two Nolans were not around, I doubt that 3rd base would be in Jordan’s long-term future.)

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

I have to believe he’s been asked about playing another position and he’s fine with being just a DH. If your assessment of him is correct it would be a terrible waste to not surround him with talent. Goldy is the only one we have that can hit .300 and hits to all fields. By the time Walker is ready Goldy will be overly ripened.

I was surprised to see Ortiz get into the HOF and it’s disappointing.

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years