2022 Cardinals MLB Game 39 thread – Friday, May 20 at Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 39 thread – Friday, May 20 at Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

5:35 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (4-3, 3.15) vs. RHP Zach Thompson (2-3, 5.47 ERA)
    Apple TV // KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Oh great, this Apple TV crap. Guess I will be watching the Reds game on Friday night. They are at Toronto, don’t know if Votto will be back or not.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just great. Gorman makes his debut and it won’t be on regular TV. That’s great, just great.

But I did see where Votto will be back with the Reds on Friday night for the game in Toronto.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll try to be here tomorrow night if possible, so you’ll have some idea, albeit probably a faint one, of how Gorman & Co. are doing, Rat. Hey Rat, your Redlegs are starting to play some decent ball. I know Cincinnati is Rat’s second favorite team and the only other poster here that I know their second favorite team, is BicycleMike, who’s fond of the Rockies. My second favorite team has been Baltimore since around age 9. When I was a kid, I would send weekly request letters to the ML teams, looking for free stuff. Back in the 70’s, you’d be amazed at how generous some teams were. Our Cardinals were decent, as they loaded me up with mostly decals every week. And they were consistent with their mailings. The cubbies sucked big time, as they rarely replied to my requests. When they did respond, the only thing they sent me was a price list. The Orioles were far and away the best. Every week I would receive this huge envelope stuffed to the brim with player pictures (some of them autographed in ink), decals, and every now and then they would toss in an Orioles pennant or button. They were marvelous!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hmm, Pittsburgh isn’t too far away…

Nah, late nights and I don’t agree anymore. Although I would enjoy getting to a game in PNC Park sometime.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Go for it, stlcard25. You’re only young once and our boys could use your support. Would be kind of neat going to Gorman’s first ML game. If you go, make sure to get a few game programs. I’d buy one from you…..for an inflated price at that.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I believe I saw where the Rangers released Matt Carpenter.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some points of interest tonight:

1. Where does Edman play?
    2. How does Gorman look at 2B?
    3. What defensive alignment does Gorman face?

I will only be able to tell Edman’s position from Gamecast, so maybe someone who figures out the TV can provide some eyewitness info.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Marmol said Edman is moving to ss.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Have we heard anything about Knizner’s availability for tonight?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Gorman has to hit because the move is weakening our defense.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Interesting. Neither of the DHs (Dickerson and Pujols) is DHing.

bombermen
    Blocked

Free

I bet fifty dollars that they win

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

France,

Does this indicate that through Mo’s calculus they will be playing the best players?

Hmmm…they didn’t do that under the Matheny or the Shildt era.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Donovan doesn’t strike me as your prototypical DH…..but I love him at SS. I wonder how Carlson feels about the new kid on the block hitting in front of him? And if you’re Oliver Marmol, how do you not issue your initial lineup card to the press today with Gorman batting 4th and Arenado 6th? Keep a straight face about it all afternoon. Let everyone go bonkers(especially the press) over it…….and then a couple hours before game time, release the real one. If I may, I would like to be the first to roll out our red welcome mat to our newest poster, the esteemed “Bombermen”. Make it a cool hundred and you just may have a wager, Bombermen.

bccran
    Participant

Love that lineup.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I like the order. Donovan should be at 2B and Gorman at DH though.

bccran
    Participant

I guess he’s played well enough at 2B in Memphis to warrant a look. Plus they want to get him on the field in his first game.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unless you don’t think Gorman is going to be the long-term starter at second, why shouldn’t he play there? When they were in Memphis, Gorman played second and Donovan moved around. That has been the plan all along.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I just read something that says Gorman is expected to be the everyday 2ndbaseman from now on out. I guess we shall see. Most on here realize that I cannot stand strikeouts. If he turns into another Tyler O’Neill, well, that wont be a good thing.

And it’s a slugfest at Wrigley. Arizona leads 9-3 in the 7th and has already hit six homeruns.

I’ll be tuning in to the Reds/Toronto game tonight – thanks to Apple.

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Donovan was a good hitter in the upper levels of the minors, and it is possible he will out hit Carlson by a significant margin. I say possible, since Carlson might pull out of it and we don’t know about Donovan until he has some MLB sample size. But it would be interesting to speculate what may happen.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Unless you don’t think Gorman is going to be the long-term starter at second, why shouldn’t he play there? When they were in Memphis, Gorman played second and Donovan moved around. That has been the plan all along.

AAA is learning and Gorman is learning the position, Donovan viewed as utility future. They are in the big leagues now, it’s win time. Donovan is superior defensively. Maybe Gorman is the 2B of the future, especially when Walker arrives and needs the DH with Arenado at 3B, but for a team with emphasis on defense not putting the best defensive alignment doesn’t make sense to me.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think along those lines Cards667. You have a problem if you are relying on middle infielders for offensive punch. Up the middle are defense positions. You need to get offence from the 4 corner positions. We are having a problem with production from the OF, and the solution is to dismantle a gold glove infield. In particular, moving a gold glove middle infielder off his position is a desperation move.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I don’t have a big problem moving Edman to SS. He’s got experience there and I believe he’ll be above average, maybe not the exceptional 2B he is, but he’ll be more than fine at SS. Donovan played all over in AAA because he was viewed as a Daniel Descalso type, but his bat has been very good since promotion and deserves to be in the lineup and he’s proven to be be a good defender. If they want to make the move of Edman to SS to open 2B for Gorman long term fine, but if Donovan and Gorman are both in the line up then use the best defense of Donovan at 2B and Gorman at DH. If Dickerson plays tomorrow over Donovan, then fine, Gorman at 2B, Dickerson LF, Yepez DH, but I’d still be trotting Donovan out there ever bit as much as possible.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years