2022 Cardinals MLB Game 39 thread – Friday, May 20 at Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 39 thread – Friday, May 20 at Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

I too think it’s silly to put Gorman at second and Donovan at dh if the priority is winning now. If you want more second base appearances then put yepez at dh and Donovan in outfield. Yepez while not looking terrible will never be a gold glove outfielder. Just seems like bad management either from marmol or higher or both. Tell me again why we didn’t get someone experienced like the Mets did

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Sounds like an odd top of the 1st. It says Arenado popped out to right and Edman scored but Goldschmidt out trying to advance.

Anyway, 1-0 Redbirds heading to the last of the 1st.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goldschmidt purposely drew the cutoff and got caught in a rundown, which gave Edman the opportunity to run home. Smart play.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gorman made his first (routine) defensive play in the bottom of the first and his first plate appearance in the top of the second. He singled to RF. They showed his grandpa in the stands with tears in his eyes. About a dozen family members there.

bccran
    Participant

Way to go Nolan!!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Nice hit Gorman! Go Cardinals!

1982 willie
    Participant

Well so far though I’m not watching, seems like Gorman’s hit is the main thing happening

Wooster
    Participant

Free

5 hits so far- leaving guys on base all over the place again. 1 run in 1st inning. C’mon man!

1982 willie
    Participant

Well they have it going now. Got some walks which is always helpful

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Big inning in the 6th! Carlson bases loaded hit. Yadi Mr Clutch base hot scores 2 runs. Bader foul ball battle with Pirates pitcher wins out with base hit. Scored 4 more runs so far. Inning still going!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Waino still cruising. Glad we didn’t come into Pittsburg and go flat. Looking good tonight!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The lefty Banda woke us up. We have a major handedness split as a lineup.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like the lefty Genisis Cabrera woke them up too.

1982 willie
    Participant

Looks like our bullpen is failing now. Cabrera struggling and gallegos in. Not a good combination.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well we had one inning where we did some damage but no more, can we win it.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

5-3 Cards the final.

I got to watch the Reds lose at Toronto 2-1. Was actually a pretty good game to watch.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Its a winner! Galleagos bails out Cabrera. Did a good job but went 2 innings. Everybody with a hit except a couple guys. Edman and Molina with 2. Go Cardinals!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Carlson 2 hits too and Waino was awesome again!

forsch31
    Participant

Free

So are we saying that Gorman is only a DH for the rest of his career?

1982 willie
    Participant

Now forsch, no one said that. But if you have a better option defensively and have the dh, why not have the best of both worlds. Heck, it’s always possible arenado opts out after this season and Gorman takes over at third.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Well I have to ask because it has been stated that Donovan is the better defender at 2B. Donovan has played about 1100 innings at 2b in the minors with a .973 fielding percentage. Gorman has played about 900 innings at 2b in the minors with a .981 fielding percentage. I don’t understand why Donovan is the better defender especially since there are eyewitness reports that Gorman is at least average at 2b. Also, if Gorman doesn’t get the opportunity to play the field because there is a “better defender” at positions, he will only be a DH.

As far as Arenado opting out, I would give the odds at less than 5%.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Huge kudos to Giovanny Gallegos. Faced five men and fanned them all — and this, after entering the game with the tying run on base and one out in the 8th. Truly dominant, and clutch as clutch gets.

I really, really, really do not understand why so many Redbird fans have violently turned against Gallegos in recent days. Yeah, he screwed up and didn’t cover first base. (But that play would never have happened in the first place if Arenado just would have made the throw to retire the previous batter.) And then he gave up a homer to Pete Alonso the other night. His first homer allowed this season.

Gio has pitched 184 innings for the Cards since the start of 2019, with a 2.83 ERA. Here’s a list of all MLB relievers since 2019 to throw at least 160 innings with a sub-3.00 ERA: Josh Hader, Kenley Jansen, Liam Hendriks, and Giovanny Gallegos. That’s it, honest. Four guys.

I’m very happy for Ryan Helsley and overjoyed for how tremendously he’s pitched so far this season. But Gallegos is and should remain the closer, particularly given how great he’s pitched on the 2nd day of back-to-backs, throughout his career.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A backyard BBQ kept me occupied last evening, but it looks like Gorman’s debut was a success at the plate and in the field. It was a good win, but we are playing the Pirates, so lets not get too giddy.

The future looks bleak for DeJong, as does the present. He went 0-4 and is hitting .143 (.373 OPS) for Memphis. He still holds down the 3rd slot in their lineup, though. No wonder they are losing.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Maybe DeJong should try his luck at AA.

He hasn’t hit much since the first half of 2019 – don’t really understand why it took so long for the Cardinals to move on…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.