2022 Cardinals MLB Game 26 thread – Fri., May 6 at SF Giants

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 26 thread – Fri., May 6 at SF Giants

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 9. Giovanny Gallegos on for the save attempt….and let’s pray it’s a successful one.

Crawford skies one into short right center that Edman, Carlson and Bader will converge on…and it’s Bader taking charge to make the catch .

Estrada rifles a shot down the line in left for a hit and O’Neill very quickly tracks the ball down holding Estrada to only a single….great hustle play by O’Neill….those plays win you ballgames.

Gonzalez raps into the 4-6-3 twin killing….. ballgame!

Your Final Score:

St.Louis Cardinals 3
    San Francisco Giants 2

Scotty & Willie hang in there to the end to witness this beauty. The birds will be chirping here in a few hours ushering in the new day….but right now it’s our Redbirds who are merrily doing the chirping.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Carlson and Yepez come up with big hits….Helsley has been lights out this year….good save for Gallegos

Shift accounted for the 2 Giants runs and the last Cardinals run I think

Question for the board on Donovan can he play shortstop?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey GG. Donovan at SS…..hmmm …. interesting……as the late great Arte Johnson would say…..while donning a hard army hat on top of his blonde dome on the hit show “Laugh-In”…….veryyyy interesting.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

I may be asking if Molina can play short next week if DeJong dips below .100

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Nice win for the Birds.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good to wake up and read the game thread winning broadcast team of Pugs, Willie and Scottie. I was worried when I saw Sooner’s thread on the offense that we may have come up short, but it looks like the bullpen was pretty great. You love to see it, especially at the expense of the Giants.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I may be asking if Molina can play short next week if DeJong dips below.100.

Now that’s funny, GG! So true though, except when you’re winning like this, for me, it takes the edge off my agitation towards the slumping player. If the tables were turned in this series and the Giants had won these first two games, I’d be presently throwing a tizzy about DeJong’s horrible hitting. Plus, his dependable defense makes his presence in the starting lineup more palatable. Unless you start playing.700 baseball or PDJ starts finally hitting, a change does have to take place at SS sometime reasonably soon. As others have mentioned, I would love to see Gorman and his blooming bat brought up to play 2nd, with Tommy E. moving a few yards to his right, to play SS. I say give it a try.

Thanks stlcard25. Indeed, having the wiley Willie and the ever-esteemed Scotty in the booth with me, is always a game thread treat.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

DeJong has continued to regress to the point of where he is completely lost at the plate. Edmonds talked quite a bit about him last night on the broadcast and how he has that little step he does, and it is inconsistent with it.

I think the most realistic solution to our shortstop woes is to put Sosa in there every day once he returns. He showed he can handle it, and looks like the talent is there to where he would get better with playing time.

Now on the other hand, despite an almost unbelievably bad offensive line for DeJong, a 21 OPS+, he has a 0.3 WAR. That is totally due to him being a good defensive player. So for the time being you probably need to keep running him out there, using him almost like a good pitcher where you are getting defense but no offense, and when Sosa is available you get him in there every day.

The other possibility of course is sliding Edman over and see if Donovan, or possibly Gorman, can take second. Edman is so good at second though that you hate to weaken the defense at two spots. But maybe he can be as good at short, I don’t know.

Hicks looked good last night. He was not over-throwing. I always thought he should be groomed as a starter where he does not have to come in and feel he has to over-throw on every pitch. Hopefully he can build up to get into the 6th and 7th innings.

Helsley still looking like the closer of the near future.

Happy 91 to the great Willie Mays!!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Meant to say hits equal at 203. RBI are the same at 106.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I think it is risky to move a gold glove 2nd baseman to SS and replace him with an unproven player at 2B

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is risk in any change any time.

I remember not long ago when many (including me) said that it was too risky for the Cardinals to let a Gold Glove second baseman go to make room for a less proven player to play every day. That seems to have worked out pretty well. The only way an unproven player becomes proven (or stumbles) is to give him a chance.

And like I said in another thread, if it doesn’t work, there is no reason the players could not return to their prior defensive positions. Edman won’t unlearn how to play second.

bccran
    Participant

Edman was All PAC 12 defensive shortstop at Stanford. Gorman is playing a decent 2B at Memphis. The risk may not be that great.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Happy 91 to the great Willie Mays!!

Same age as my Mom. Mays seemed like one of those superhero players when I was young. Got to see him play in-person one time. If Mays had worn #22, Edman would’ve hit a HR in this game.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.