2022 Cardinals MLB Game 158 thread – Saturday, October 1 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 158 thread – Saturday, October 1 vs. Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:15 p.m.
    LHP Jordan Montgomery (5-3, 3,12) vs. RHP Luis Ortiz (0-1, 1.17)
    BSM // WIJR // KMOX
    Also BSSO and BSSW+

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Quintana, Montgomery, and ? as playoff starters.

I’m not at all sold on Flaherty, Hudson, or Wainwright at this point. Would Pallante or Woodford be a better choice or maybe even a bull pen game?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Miles Mikolas wants to know what you don’t like about his 2.32 September ERA over his last five starts or his 3.30 mark for the sesaon?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Miles Mikolas wants to know what you don’t like about his 2.32 September ERA over his last five starts

Besides the 2-3 record, what’s not to like.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Were the 3 losses the fault of Mikolas or the offense?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

BTW, the Montgomery is 1-3 in September.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Right now, if I were to choose between the 2 LHP’ers for the first round, it’d be Quintana. I’d have Mikolas for the opener and Wainwright slated for a possible game 3. I’m simply going with the arms with the most experience.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We scored 4 runs total in those 3 games, clearly Mikolas fault.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When the team is 25 games over .500 and the starter has a losing record, it is pretty desperate to fault the offense. We are severely short of starters who can reliably allow fewer runs than the offense gives them to work with.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

The offense and solid glove work is going to be the key to success for the Cardinals in the post-season. Grab an early lead and hope for 5 or 6 innings from whoever gets the turn. After that, I’ll hope the BP can hang on. I’ll be pleasantly astounded if any one of the SP’ers works 7 IP or beyond.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Are the Phillies and Nationals playing a DH today? According to Yahoo/MLB they are not playing one either today or tomorrow. I do not – NOT – want to play the Brewers in the best of three series. I’d prefer the Padres but the Phillies would be better than Milwaukee.

r/Esteemed Rat

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Bling, when the offense scores only a run or 2 in the whole game when a pitcher starts, it’s the pitcher’s fault? Even though he keeps the team in a position to win the game? If that’s the case, then Montgomery shouldn’t be starting, either. He’s 1-3 in September.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have but 7 words to sum up my feelings on tonight’s affair…….Luis Ortiz can be one tough hombre.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Are the Phillies and Nationals playing a DH today? According to Yahoo/MLB they are not playing one either today or tomorrow. I do not – NOT – want to play the Brewers in the best of three series. I’d prefer the Padres but the Phillies would be better than Milwaukee.

Rat, the Phillies and Nationals are playing a DH today, according to ESPN.com. The Nats are up 6-1 in the 3rd inning of Game 1 with the second game later tonight. The Phillies are in big trouble and it would not surprise me to see our Cards taking on the Brewers in the wild card round next weekend. That IS NOT going to be easy.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Washington all over Philadelphia this afternoon in Game 1 of a twin bill. They play in the 6th in a 7-4 Nats ballgame. Meneses with home run #13 and Voit has belted his 22nd for Washington.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

our starters do not have sparkling win and loss records

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Here’s a break down of Mikolas’ stats:

Record 12-13 (32 starts, 7 no decisions)

Mikolas’ ERA
    7 No Decisions: 3.00
    12 Wins: 1.60
    13 Losses: 5.33
    12 Losses, minus COL disaster if you’re interested: 4.14

Run Support for Mikolas (avg per game)
    7 No Decisions: 5.57
    12 Wins: 7.67
    13 Losses: 1.38
    12 Losses, minus COL disaster if you’re interested: 1.08

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Oliver…No they sure don’t. Wainwright, Mikolas, Montgomery, Quintana and Hudson are collectively 3 games over .500 when being the pitcher of decision. However Helsley, Gallegos, Woodford, Stratton and Cabrerra are a combined 25-8 as pitchers of decision. That says that the Redbirds have won a lot of games after either trailing or being tied in the latter portions of ballgames. I wish the 25-8 indicated that Warren Spahn was a member of the 5-man…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I was checking out an old thread the other day and on March 31, 2022, Pugs predicted that Pujols would hit 23 HR’s this season…Haha! If he’s in the line-up, Albert may get HR #23 tonight. That’s pretty good. I’m one of Albert’s biggest fans, but I never thought he’d get to HR #700 at the start of the season. My best hope was that he’d tie or surpass Rodriguez for 4th place on the all-time HR list.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Not unlike most fans, BB’s really get under my skin. Especially when they’re issued to the first batter of an inning when holding on to a lead. But many times, the immediate situation at hand dictates that the manager hold up four fingers to indicate the neccesity of an IBB. Which brings us to tonight’s game thread baseball trivia questions…

1. Although I never cared for him, and his career numbers are certainly tainted, Barry Bonds is the best left-handed hitter that I’ve ever seen play. Bonds holds the all-time record for career IBB’s with 688 intentional passes. Who is the guy who places second on the all-time list for career IBB’s?

2. Well, Aaron Judge, who I was fortunate enough to have seen play in person this season, tatered-up for the 61st time the other day to tie Roger Maris’ mark which was ironically set back in 1961. That’s a whole lot of taters to mash in a season. Maris also collected 141 RBI’s to go along with his 61 HR’s and his second MVP award in a row. I’m reasonably certain that opposing pitchers viewed Roger as no joke. Within 5, can anyone name how many IBB’s were issued to Maris during the ’61 season?

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Barry Bonds doesn’t count. You can’t over-emphasize the effect maintaining strength and weight have on a hitter over the course of a season. You cannot even begin to over emphasize the advantage of artificially enhancing your off season training has. He lied. He cheated. Anyone who looks at his performance and doesn’t acknowledge his huge advantage over those who didn’t cheat are blind. If you truly watched him, you will see the difference in performance pre and post injections were matched only by the differences in the size of his actual cranium

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

NigelT…Yeah, but do you know the answer to the question? If you get it right, you’ll be eligible to win a finely cratfed, hand stitched, made in the USA, one of a kind oven mitt autographed by the legendary Bill Buckner…Haha!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of home run hitters, if Albert had been in St. Louis those years instead of in L.A, how many career homers might he have now? Would it have been worth 5 or 6 more per year maybe? Or would he have fewer now?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s what table setters do

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Really bad AB by Arenado. Had a pitch up that he could have driven, but took. Then swung at a pitch down and away that you can’t do much with. Then just stuck the bat out on another one down and away.

Albert picks us up though with a two run single.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.