2022 Cardinals MLB Game 157 thread – Friday, September 30 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 157 thread – Friday, September 30 vs. Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m.
    RHP Jack Flaherty (1-1, 4.97) vs. RHP Johan Oviedo (4-2, 3.13)
    BSM // WIJR // KMOX
    Also BSSO and BSSW+

14NyquisT
    Participant

Let’s hope that Oviedo doesn’t outpitch Flaherty…. no matter how much he’d like to. If Flaherty shows some sound effectiveness in his last two starts it would make our odds a whole lot better.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Going to this game. Hopefully Albert plays. One last time to see him. This will be it far as going to the games this year. I had originally thought about playoffs but decided against it

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Cubs beat Philadelphia again today (Thursday) by the score of 2-0. It’s starting to look more and more like a Brewers/Cards best of three matchup. The advantage we might have is that Burnes might not be available for the first game, or even the first two games. He might – MIGHT – be needed next week to help secure that last wild card spot.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The one other advantage is that Woodruff is not good on the road. His ERA there is over 4. Any matchup will require us to beat tough pitching, but I like our chances in round 1.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Willie82…I was looking at some comments on an old thread and happened to notice that both you and Pugs predicted Albert would get to HR #700. The comments were made way back on March 31st…Haha! Pugs actually wrote, “Two very huge intangibles in his corner. Knowing that this is his last hurrah and returning home where 95% of his baseball magic took place.” You two guys are genuine fortune tellers! Please tell me the Redbirds are going to win their 12th WS Championship in 2022…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha…I should have saved this for a game thread baseball trivia question…Who were the two Cardinal Nation commenters who predicted Albert Pujols would reach the 700 HR plateau way back on March 31, 2022?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish I could see that the Cardinals are going to win the world series this year. But alas I can’t. I have concerns with all areas of our team. I see us getting past the first round and anything is possible after that but I felt going into this season that we weren’t ready for that jump and I haven’t really changed my mind. But you never know.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I look forward to seeing how all the young guys perform with the pressure of post season. Hopefully there will be heroes.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The NL playoffs are going to be brutal. The Dodgers, Mets, and Braves all have a serious chance to win the world series. I would say they are the three best teams in all of baseball. We will most likely have to beat two of those teams to make it to the world series, if we make it past the wild card round. But hey that is why they play the games.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Like always…. the team that gets hot the most for the play-offs/WS wins it all. FanGraphs= Cards 3.1% to win the WS. The percentages will change daily from here on in. We could do it.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bling…Yep, it always seems to require that someone steps to the forefront in order to go all the way and win a championship. Freese in ’11 and Eckstein in ’06 immediately come to mind. Additionally, you have to have some good fortune along the way in the form of catching a break or two. I was at the rainout and make-up of the game 1 of the ’82 NLCS when Neikro ws working a 1-0 game when it was called a washout just 2 outs prior to becoming an official game. Next night Forsch works a 7-0 shutout. I also think of Granderson slipping in CF ala Curt Flood resulting in a “double” for Eckstein in game 4 of the ’06 WS. And we all saw the break KC caught in the ’85 WS. It seems to always take some luck along the way.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…All the teams you mentioned along with the Redbirds will have their hands full if Houston reaches the WS, which I think they will.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

14NyquisT…Yep, it’s the team that gets all the components working in unison at precisely the right time that finishes first. Not at all unlike a race car being tweaked for the precise set-up with the powerplant, gearbox, drivetrain, suspension and tires all working to perfectly tranfer all that HP to the surface of the track in the form of vicious acceleration…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Just read an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch announcing that long time Cardinal writer Rick Hummel will retire at the end of this baseball season. He’s been around for a long time and I’ll miss reading his coverage and insights on Redbird baseball. He and Joe Strauss who passed away several years ago are undoubtedly my favorite two guys who provided day to day coverage of my favorite team and game during so many exciting and rewarding seasons of Redbird baseball. I also couldn’t help but to notice through all those years that the players, managers and coaches also liked and respected him. Most of you probably know he’s a member of the writers wing of the HOF and I think it’s fitting that he’ll hang up his ink pen after the same season as two future Cardinal HOF’ers hang up their cleats.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I don’t want to be the “end of season” Rat pessimist, but I can’t escape this feeling in my gut that our offense has simply run out of gas. We’ll need more than the occasional Pujols potato to come away with a world series championship, as much as that would inject great joy into my golden years.

But Rah Cardinals nonetheless!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

In my mind we caught a break last night. Miami came back late and beat the Brewers 4-2 at Milwaukee. I do NOT want to face the Brewers and have to face Burnes and Woodruff. And the Doyers beat the Padres last night.

I hate to say it but the Phillies need to get there act together – and in a hurry their next seven games. But then they can cool off..:)

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Looks like neither MIL, PHI or SD want that last NL WC berth. All 3 of them are playing lackluster baseball at the moment. Well, baseball more than most games is dictated by the laws of averages so just watch, one of these 3 teams will catch fire at the right time and win the ’22 WS…Haha!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Padres have almost clinched the 5th seed. The 6th seed will either be the Phillies or Brewers. The Phillies have all away games remaining and the Brewers have all home games, but the Brewers do have to face Alcantara tonight.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Well got a Cardinal game tonight so that’s a good thing. Started cleaning up the yard today after the hurricane. Win not too bad here in Central Fla. Fort Meyers area really got smashed. A lot of local flooding but wind wasn’t so bad here. Be nice to have some games with little pressure but we can’t get too lax. Playoffs depend on who gets hot. Look at what lowly Baby Sharks did. Go Figure?
    Din-din will be Kielbasa and Mac and Cheese and Green Beans. Good chance for Flap Jack to shine. Albert put it out of reach at 701 or 702? Pirates I believe just swept Cincy so how bout that? Hmmm…
    Go Cardinals!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Hey Wooster…Glad to hear you pulled through that mess relatively unscathed and hope everything’s smooth sailing ahead.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Am I right in understanding that the WC qualifier with best record of the three WC’s gets the same 3 game HF advantage that the NLC winner Cardinals get in the first round? If that’s the case, it doesn’t seem fair.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

why isn’t fair? how would you do it? The division winner gets the team with the worst record.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Brendan Donovan (L) 2B
    2. Lars Nootbaar (L) RF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Albert Pujols (R) DH
    6. Juan Yepez (R) LF
    7. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    8. Yadier Molina (R) C
    9. Tommy Edman (S) SS

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Philadelphia with a 5-1 lead in the 9th at Washington. Assume this game was played early due to the hurricane.

Din-din today will be a couple of Bisquick pancakes, a big piece of apple pie from the Amish restaurant, some freshly made homemade ice cream with a new recipe, and a Mt. Dew. Then later tonight me and Whitey Herdog will be on the couch for the Pirates/Cards game.

r/Esteemed Rat

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years