2022 Cardinals MLB Game 113 thread – Saturday, August 13 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 113 thread – Saturday, August 13 vs. Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:15 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (8-8, 3.42) vs. RHP Corbin Burnes (8-5, 2.45)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not only is the matchup great, so will be the pre-game festivities.

The 1982 Cardinals World Champion team will be honored on its 40-year anniversary. Whitey Herzog, along with 21 players from that team, will be driven around the warning track in convertibles and family members will be on hand to represent the late Bob Forsch, Darrell Porter and David Green.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very appropriate they honor the 1982 team with the Brewers in town. 🙂

bccran
    Participant

Was at Game 7 with my son. Very special experience. We still talk about it today.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Unbelievable…Tatis Jr. gets nailed with an 80 game susp.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Today’s scheduled pre-game parade of Cardinals heroes has me thinking about the Cardinals heroes who are still suiting up, including today’s starting pitcher, so I took a peek at Wainwright’s 2022 game log. The guy is good for 100 pitches every 5 days like a clock and he will be 41 in just over two weeks. ERA and WHIP barely a hair over his career numbers. A horse among ponies.

Meanwhile, 42 year old, ahem, Albert is hitting .244, which exceeds all the lineup regulars except Goldy, NA and Edman. An hombre amongst niños.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Unbelievable…Tatis Jr. gets nailed with an 80 game susp.

Not really unbelievable. Like father like son. Truth be told a great number of these dudes are on something performance enhancing. Frankly the penalty is too light and not economically deterrent enough. Just take a look at the list of known offenders. It’s very long and some of baseball’s biggest contract players are on it. Hit the pocketbook (which they won’t do) curb the problem. Notice I didn’t say end it.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I get that Lou Roesch’s article mentioned by BW above is a timely feel good piece and it was an enjoyable read. But it does suggest that lack of single team careers is solely due to players being unable to keep their greed and ego in check. Surely it is often due to many factors in combination as well that.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

TexCard…Well, my first thought was how unbelievably foolish and stupid a young player possessed with his level of talent has to be in order to afford his participation to such an utterly silly and brainless act. He’s only 23 yrs. and I’ve no idea how long he’ll stick around, but however long that is, the dark cloud will be hovering over him for the entire duration of his career. But you’re dead right insofar as your observation of the need to place the teeth of a stronger economic deterrent into play. Let’s face it, at $340M over the course of 14 yrs. the dark cloud that I mentioned certainly comes with a glaring silver lining. It’s possble that if there was the risk of his pocket being emptied out, he may have thought it over a bit more carefully. The reality is that he probably doesn’t really care too much that he got caught. Oh well…

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I wonder if Tatis jr. really made an honest mistake or not?

I’d like to think he did but if it was an ‘accident’ should he have known the banned substance or was being used or was it really obscure?

When I was 18 – 25 I did some really dumb things and not always because I didn’t realize what I was doing…. I just didn’t give a tinker’s dam.

So, the lack of any kind of appeal and his short contrite statement leads me to believe he may have had a clue that this outcome was possible.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Very nice piece on Adam Wainwright. A true Cardinal legend and a rarity in staying with one organization. But as Bling mentioned, it is a two-way street as far as guys being with a particular club. Probably more often than free agency, a guy will leave his original club due to a trade or management deciding to go a different direction. Kolten Wong for example; management decided not to pick up his option year.

As for Tatis Jr, yeah, a dumb decision. But I cannot criticize him too much as at 23 years old I was not exactly the most mature person around either. The difference is I had little to lose at that age. I had my muscle car and a decent stereo system, and that was about it as far as prized possessions. Still had my baseball cards, which have turned out to be somewhat valuable, but back then were not a big deal.

Hopefully other young people with talent look at this and learn from it, and of course most of all hopefully Fernie Jr learns his lesson. He has a lot to offer so I hope he comes back from this and becomes a star and teaches others who come along after him not to get sucked into the temptations of youth.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

1tough, I certainly understand and want to add these players are gaining massively from breaking the rules. He knew the risks and just didnt care. If clean would they be getting 340 mil or be considered as talented as they appear? I’m not sure they would be. But baseball benefits from these cheaters financially as well and only really slap them on the wrist for these violations of PED rules.

Take his dad for instance. Once he was a known juicier he was quickly out of the game. I’m not sure how Jr’s career goes from here but I’d say it will end up being a very bad deal for the Padres.

It’s rampant all the way down the baseball ladder. I could say more but will stop here.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bike Mike…Nice refelection on the temptations of youth and the relative lack of fully developed maturity and sound judgement at the still young age of 23 or so. I’m 64 and I still occasionally ponder how fortunate I was to have somehow avoided disaster and allowed to safely walk away from some of the situations I foolishly placed myself into when I was at that age. Motorcycles and muscle cars immediately come to mind. In any event, I’ll afford the young man credit for not placing the blame on the FedEx guy…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

TexCard…I agree and it’s certainly not limited to the ladder of Big League baseball. I’m not at all attempting to create the impression that integrity doesn’t exist anymore, but it certainly sometimes seems as though it’s perceived value has been diminished in countless different professions and facets of life. I’ll also add that I’m certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed and that the sole method that taught me the value of honesty and integrity was practical experience and that the tremendous payoff for integrity and honesty is peace of mind and a good night’s rest. Of course, I’ve never been offered $340M, so who knows, right?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

On a lighter note. It’ll be nice to see some of the ’82 World Champion Redbirds together this evening. I’d be interested to know anyone’s thoughts regarding the MVP of that Cardinal ballclub. Everyone knows about Bruce Sutter, but limiting views to position players, I’ve always felt it was Smith. “Skates” Smith…It’s a tough call on that ballclub. I can safely say I attended at least 30 to 35 regular season games that season including the SB of HP by Brummer in extras vs. SF. And although I was only able to watch the WS on the TV, I was able to get a ticket to Forsch’s 7-0 shutout in Game 1 of the NLCS which included the bonus of the Wille McGee “ET didn’t make it home” triple. That prized ticket also included attendance for the day’s prior ballgame in which Niekro had the Redbirds flailing at butterflys and held a 1-0 lead when the rains came 2 outs before the game would have been declared an official one. In any event, it’s a tough call on that team’s position player regular season MVP simply because it was genuinely a team effort and a darn good one. Thoughts?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

There are plenty of mature young people out there in their early 20s making life and death decisions, far more important than what to swallow or not to swallow. It’s just that not all young people have hundreds of millions of dollars to influence their decision making. Just like when your team offers you $300 million and and you drop them in a New York minute when somebody else offers you $310 million. It’s never enough.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tough break for Preller. He destroys most of his farm system at the deadline to get Soto and Hader so he can get to the World Series only for Tatis to pull this boneheaded move. Not only do the Padres have zero chance of winning their division they are barely hanging onto a wild card spot.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Just read up a little on the Tatis thing. Best info was from Padres team doctor. The steroid he took increases muscle mass. It’s banned because it also shows bone growth. The wrist bone he broke is notorious for being slow to heal. He actually backfired his rehab by taking it. Had a friend if mine break one of those tiny wrist bones and one option was taking it out. They heal really slow. So anyway the ringworm thing is BS. It is usually an injection also. Team trainers guide rehabs.
    Hope Waino has a better outing tonight. Don’t think his curve was working last time. Go Cardinals!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well fudge, a tree branch took out my cable so no tuning in for me until Tuesday when they as re supposed to be here.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the kind of money at issue, both the Pads org and Tatis’s agent would get somebody to vet any meds or supplements or the like that he was contemplating putting in his body.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…Yeah, it’s not good for Padres, but I’d say before they focus on anything remotely resembling a WS appearance, they should concern themselves with simply hanging on to the last remaining NL WC spot which could quite possibly be snatched from them by several teams which include Mil. and the Redbirds. In addition to the events of yesterday, they still have 9 games remaining against the Dodgers and 3 vs. the Cardinals in StL. Redbirds swept the 3 games in SD. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they didn’t even qualify for bonus baseball at the conclusion of the regular season.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Seven of their next ten games the Brewers have the Dodgers. Four at Miller Park next week and then three at Dodger Stadium the following week. If we can win one of these next two games I think we might be in pretty good shape. However, with Burnes pitching tonight I am going to call this a 5-1 Brewers win. Hope I am wrong.

Of course, next week we have the five games in four days series at Wrigley with the Cubs. I am sure the Cubs will be fired up after we sweeped them last week. If we go 2-3 in that series that might be acceptable.

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bling…Yeah, for that kind of scratch, they should have secured him in a vault provided with a round the clock security force consisting of a team of heavily armed Mossad agents…

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Professional athletes have a skill set for which employers will pay outsized sums of money compared to what many in the general population earn. They also have an small time span in which to capitalize on it. Why wouldn’t they want to maximize their earnings? They’re one injury away from not having that opportunity.

How many out there turned down the opportunity to earn more money to stay with their current employer? I sure never did.

The Wainwright article was so ‘judgy’ that I quit reading after two sentences.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.