2022 Cardinals MLB Game 112 thread – Friday, August 12 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 112 thread – Friday, August 12 vs. Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m.
    LHP Jordan Montgomery (4-3, 3.53) vs. LHP Eric Lauer (8-3, 3.59)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Montgomery, Wainwright, Mikolas – looks pretty promising as Wainwright and Mikolas should bounce back from their sub-par performances.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A half game lead with the second place team coming to town. This is a chance to put some distance between us. Facing Burnes will be difficult, but we get twk lefties beside and we know what this lineup does to lefties. I like the Cards to take at least two here and be 1.5 games up after the weekend.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

It’s a long ago and firmly establised consensus among all quality gypsy fortune tellers that it is utterly foolish to make any predictions whatsover concerning baseball, and the simple reason for this is that ‘youneverknow’… Besides, if I knew what was going to happen, I wouldn’t bother watching.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    2. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Albert Pujols (R) DH
    6. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    7. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    8. Yadier Molina (R) C
    9. Lars Nootbaar (L) RF

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Just a little surprised to see lh Nooty in RF but I guess O’Niel is the only rh outfieler we have? O’Niel move up to 2 spot may get him going a little more. Albert had a big game last time out til bullpen gave it up. Good time to jump ahead this weekend!
    Din-din will be shoulder beef steaks, red beans and rice and steamed brocolli. Go Cardinals!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

O’Neill with an 0 for 4 game with 4 K’s in yesterday’s ballgame and he’s penciled into the 2 slot vs. Milwaukee? I’m not too sure that’s any sort of rational or logical way to make an attempt to set the table for the big kids with the bats hitting behind him. Maybe it’s a typo? And oh…Eddie in the 6 slot? In any event, not even I could have made this stuff up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I would guess that Marmol hopes to get O’Neill going by hitting him ahead of the big guns where he should see strikes.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My granddaughter and I made a big chef salad for din din with lots of goodies including grilled chicken strips and quartered hard boiled eggs. She wants to know which should she taste first, the chicken or the egg?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Okay, some thoughts on the Cardinals after having a great seat at Coors yesterday and seeing the club up close. One game, so not a definitive view of course, but some high level thoughts.

Was impressed with Nootbaar – good eye at the plate, very aggressive. I like what he brings to the club.

Gorman is a raw talent that you really hope develops into a solid, everyday player. He seems a little prone to chasing pitches down in the zone. But with that power, and he looks good on defense too, I think in another year or so the club may need to decide what to do with Edman. Tommy may end up at shortstop if DeJong is not able to hold down the post, but then Winn is the heir apparent at short.

Was disappointed in O’Neill not making contact. One pitch he just missed was a breaking ball, where you could see Ty does a bit of an upper cut swing, which is Albert’s philosophy, where it looked like had he leveled off his swing he could have made good contact. He swung just a bit on top of the ball and fouled it down. I think Ty has enough raw power that he does not need to uppercut – I would coach him to focus on driving the ball up the middle, and the homers will naturally follow.

Hudson has good stuff and if he can find the strike zone on a more consistent basis will be real good. Walks killed us yesterday.

Cabrera was throwing straight fastballs with little movement and as we know, got hammered. Maybe it was the fact of pitching in altitude.

Hicks has an impressive demeanor on the mound. Looks good, carries himself well, but again, you gotta throw strikes.

Woodford I mentioned in the thread devoted to him. Same old story – do not understand why he is under-utilized. We have probably 4 to 5 games where Woody could have been used in the right situation that would have resulted in a win. Say we went 3-2 in those games instead of 0-5, and you have a bit of a cushion over this Brewer club.

Arenado had things set up for him in the ninth, and blew it. On that 3-2 pitch he had to be ready to swing as Bard is usually around the zone. Arenado was looking for something inner half, but the pitch was outer half. Man, you need to be ready to swing at anything in the zone with two strikes and not look at a specific part of the zone. Better to go down swinging than looking. But it is easy for us to say these things. Playing the game is much more difficult.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BWalton…Yeah, that and a turn in Mil’s. rotation by a LHP. Still though, I saw TO’s AB’s yesterday afternoon and I’d play Donovan in LF and place him almost anywhere in the order before I’d pencil O’Neill into the 2 slot today. Don’t get me wrong, I’m okay with TO in the line-up, just not batting second. And there’s no way Eddie should occupy the 6 slot. Oh well, that’s why I’m keying this in on the sofa in front of the TV. We’ll see what happens…GO REDBIRDS!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Oh, I almost forgot…Din-din? Cheeseburger.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bike Mike…I like Nootz too, but what did you think about his AB in which he tapped a soft comebacker to the mound and the pitcher failed to glove it cleanly? I have to say that it looked to me that if he busts it out of the box and down the line, he’s safe at 1B.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Man alive…I just noticed that the Dodgers have now reeled off 10 wins in a row and now have a W/L record of 77-33. That means they could play the remainder of their regular season games at a .500 clip and still win 103 games this year. They have too much money out there in LA…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Nice full slate of baseball in MLB tonight. Besides the Redbird’s game, I’ve got my eyes on Phillies/Mets and O’s/Rays. Everyone I talked to here in StL. were beginning to panic when the O’s took 2 of 3 from the Redbirds at Busch Stadium back in mid May. Well, turns out Baltimore may have a pretty solid ballclub as they now stand at 5 games over .500 in a pretty competitive AL East and only a half game back of the last AL WC spot. Earl would be smiling.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Skinny gate for a ballgame that will decide who occupies 1st place in the NLC. Where is everyone?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yankees hangover?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BW…Ha ha! Possibly. It’s also Fri. night and I’m pretty certain the young guys on here are probably out chasing the cuties. At 64 yrs. I’m getting a bit long in the tooth to party like it’s 1999, but I was actually in attendance for last Fri. night’s Redbird/Yanks game with my 39 yr. old son and we enjoyed the late inning Redbird’s 4-3 come from behind win. Even though it was a night game, man was it hot and I have to say that I certainly had a bit of an excitement/heat hangover the following morning. I just don’t get down the line like I once did…At any rate, enjoy the game, BW! It’s a good one so far.

GO REDBIRDS!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Nooty did take it easy on that comebacker, but his attitude seems to be great. A slip here and there does not bother me, unless it becomes common. Pujols used to always loaf it to first in his heyday and TLR would give him a pass on it. One of those “he does everything so well I can’t fault him for taking an AB off on an easy grounder now and then.”

DeJong carved up in that last AB. I read where Sosa has already turned some heads in Philly with his defense. We will see how it all plays out.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, I was surprised to see that out of Nootz. What bothered me about the play was that it looked to me like he would have been safe as milk if he would have busted it out of the batter’s box. As for Albert and Tony…Well, one is the great Pujols and the other is TLR… What else can you say?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, that was always the one part of Albert’s game that I did not like. It was the one area where he was not first class.

There is another thing to like about Nooty – bunts to get on. And that segue’s in to the one thing I don’t like about Edman’s game, especially when he is struggling. He needs to utilize his speed and lay own down now and then.

Even Mickey Mantle said that the way he worked his way out of slumps was to bunt now and then.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

No question that Eddie needs to get going and that it wouldn’t at all be a bad idea for him to lay down a bunt when he’s scuffling. I continue to maintain that the Cardinals will be successful with him leading off. Redbirds have some winners on this ’22 edition and I believe that Eddie is one of them.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Real nice work by the lefty thru 6. HPU almost squeezed him to death during Renfroe’s PA.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Monty has pitched 11 shutout inning as a Cardinal. He is the definition of a pitcher.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Tommy does a lot of good things and is similar to Nooty on the infield. But I have seen Nooty a couple of times take advantage of the opening at third and get on with a bunt. Have not seen Tommy give it a shot, although you would think that would be part of his game.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.