2022 Cardinals MLB Game 111 thread – Thursday, August 11 at Rockies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 111 thread – Thursday, August 11 at Rockies

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

2:10 p.m.
    RHP Dakota Hudson (6-6, 4.20) vs. RHP Germán Márquez (6-9, 5.18)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSO and BSSW+

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Hudson. Ooof.

I hope he hasn’t given up a bushel of runs by the third inning.

Mikolas melt down on Tuesday makes this game more important than it would have been….

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson needs to be on today, for sure. With Woodford up, he’s probably got a short leash today. 5 innings and 2-3 runs is fine for Dakota.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we had not burned Neil Pallante last night in a 9-2 late inning mop up stint, we would be sitting pretty coming into this game. Hopefully Woodford can stem the tide if called upon…..I like his chances. This is really a game that would be tough to lose, especially with our very own BicycleMike being in attendance. Knowing BicycleMike, he’ll weasel his way down to a Front Row Amyish kind of seating location by the 3rd inning. Give us a little wave, BicycleMike.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’ve always contended that baseball was made to be played in the presense of God’s sweet sunshine and that’s precisely what today’s game will provide for Redbird fans. I’m certain that a lot of you recall that up until the early 70’s every WS game was played under natural light and if you had a cool teacher, she’d roll the TV set into the classroom and let us kids put the books away into the desks so we could watch the action on the field. I vividly recall sitting in Miss Latta’s 6th grade classroom and watching the “shoe polish game” 5 of the ’69 WS between the O’s/Mets. All us kids were laughing as we watched Weaver losing his marbles as Cleon Jones was awarded 1B as a result of the questionable HBP. Boy, those were the days alright.

GO REDBIRDS!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a great memory, TD!! I graduated HS in 2001 and can recall an early 90s playoff game that my 6th grade teacher let us watch. I actually feel like I was probably in 5th grade at the time but they let us go in with the bigger kids to watch it. Kids these days probably can’t understand the excitement that came with seeing a tv on a stand as you walked into your classroom.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Hey,stlcard! Yeah, I’m entirely certain that when that television came into view our eyes lit up like we’d just hit the jackpot! Heck, today the kids that like baseball probably watch it on their phones. Hope you enjoy today’s game and if the sweet sunshine blinds an OF’er, let’s hope it’s a Rocky!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For sure, TD! I have family members who are teachers…it just seems like the magic of the old TV on a stand is gone. Same with the overhead projector, the physical chalk board (and being “chosen” to clean the erasers), mechanical pencil sharpeners, etc.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Ha ha…Yeah, I recall the “magic” of the precious oscillating fan! We didn’t have AC at our grade school and when that slight breeze cycled back around the classroom horn to cool you, it was oh so sweet during the early Sept. and late days of May before we received our parole papers for the summer…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So I wanted to see who is fueling this latest run… wRC+ since the All Star break:

Paul Dejong 241
    Albert Pujols 237
    Nolan Arenado 234
    Paul Goldschmidt 204
    Lars Nootbaar 156
    Corey Dickerson 120
    Brendan Donovan 115
    Nolan Gorman 106
    Andrew Knizner 98
    Tyler O’Neil 76
    Yadier Molina 69
    Tommy Edman 66
    Dylan Carlson 62

We could use a leadoff man to step up. Also, an O’Neill hot streak would be nice. The offense has been performing pretty well overall though. 136 wRC+ on a .269/.352/.485 for an .837 OPS and 88 runs scored in 16 games (5.5/GM). The pitching has allowed 76 runs, but 16 were the Colorado Clunker. The staff has been better outside that one stinker, with a 4.08 ERA.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlcard…Yeah, I was talking to Pugs during last night’s ballgame insofar as I can’t ever recall seeing DeJong ripping up the baseball to the degree that he’s displayed in the last week or so. I’d have to say that Paulie doesn’t ever again want to get aboard that southbound bus. And yeah, you’re dead right. Need to get Eddie going to set the table for the big kids to push him across HP. From my standpoint, he’s the offensive catalyst for this ballclub and I believe he’ll step it up for the home stretch. Eddie’s one of my favorite Redbirds in long time. Real smart. Never seen him make a mental mistake on the field. Rock solid glove. Always a SB threat and an above average bat and you can plainly see an intense desire to win. Just needs to improve the OBP a bit. He’s well on pace to reach the 100 runs scored plateau this season. He’s a winner. GO REDBIRDS!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Obviously I feel that Goldy is the NL MVP at this jucture, but I’m a bit worried that Alonso, only because he plays in NY, may somehow get more votes for the award and relegate the Redbird 1B’man to bridesmaid status for the 3rd time in his career at season’s end. Two other guys that may have a chance to outpace him are Freeman of LA and Riley of ATL who seems to be ripping it up. Dodgers certainly have a couple of other names as well. I’ll also say that if Nado keeps ripping the baseball, he could certainly outpace his fellow IF corner teammate for the award. In any event, I sure would like to see either Goldy or Nado take the award home at season’s end. We’ll see what happens. Any thoughts?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy is no doubt the favorite, but Arenado does lead him in WAR. Goldy leads the NL in average, on base percentage and slugging percentage, so you’d guess he would get the edge.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’m new on this forum and I instantly noticed that I’m way out of my league insofar as my very limited knowledge of the Redbird’s various minor league affiliates and their associated prospects. The simple truth is that I don’t follow them that closely at all and the only info I get is the occasional short tid-bit in the StL. newspaper or when a member of the Big League team is rehabbing etc. I can plainly see that most of you guys really know your stuff regarding the Cardinals minor league ballclubs. In any event, I happened to notice an article in today’s StL. paper that a young man named Chandler Redmond of the Sprinfield AA ballclub ripped out 4 HR’s in last night’s Springfield game vs. Amarillo. And get this…The 4 HR’s were a solo shot, a 2 run tater, a 3 run tater, and a GS to actually hit for the HR cycle! What are the odds on THAT? Pretty cool.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Me and Whitey Herdog are going to try and tune in to this one today. We have alot of yard work to do, especially around the rental property as I have someone coming to look at it tomorrow. Alot of trimming and then jump on the John Deere to mow the rest.

Din-din today is a Ribeye steak in the air fryer, with olive oil, seasoning, and A1 Sauce. A couple of ears of Aces High Sweet Corn, a Pepsi, and a piece of chocolate cream pie from the Amish restaurant.

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlcard…Oh yeah, Goldy would almost assuredly win it if the votes were cast today, but I always worry about players for the NY team or the Dodgers outpacing a Redbird player in the vote only because they get more national exposure. I also feel he was really genuinely snubbed in ’13 when he placed 2nd behind McCutcheon after a season in which Goldy entirely trounced the Pirate CF’er in every important category except SB’s.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Hey Rat! Haha… What’s your favorite manager/pup having for “din-din?” I’ll bet he not only eats like a king, but also becomes mighty vicious when he hears the attack signal, “Deckinger!”

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Pretty neat that Nado got to experience back to back taters with the guy who he names as his favorite player when he was growing up and into a man.

bccran
    Participant

Lunch (brunch/dinner) today will be rocky mountain oysters.
    Go Cards….take this series!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

At last, a day game! I can watch this one in real time instead imagining it through the box score tomorrow or winding up the ol’ MLB-TV replay. I hope Dakota spares us the pain of one of his sphincter clenchers and the bats remain warm from yesterday.

I just finished a coupla pieces of fried cod with mashed potatoes, corn and a green salad. Along about the third inning I’ll break out the raspberries and ice cream, leaving the cholesterol to fight it out with the triglycerides for supremacy over my vascular system.

Rah Cardinals!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I’m sure there is some logic behind all this fooling around with the batting order. It’ll come to me eventually.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

In the ballpark. Going to be mid 90s, so hot and dry. If Hudson does not have his command and gets the ball up it could be a home run derby. Same with Marquez of course.

Looking around and it appears to be about 30% Cardinal fans milling around downtown and on the main concourse.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, let’s see…I’ve got a guy who quite possibly posseses the best glove to come along in a generation. I think I’ll pencil him in as my DH!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Whoa, saw a guy with a Piscotty jersey, and another with a Chris Duncan. Don’t see a lot of those.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.