2022 Alex Reyes

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Alex Reyes

Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey BW, thanks for that graph. It’s good to see that it’s not as bad as it seems. I feel like I tracked it for a few years maybe ’16-18 and I think the Cards were high on the list most if not all of those years. Hopefully it was just a bad luck streak and things will turn the other way.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reyes is getting a second opinion, which is probably not a good thing.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

I work with a guy who pitched in the minors. He said things started out great but in his 2nd year he couldn’t keep up with the demand and his arm worsened as the season wore on.

You can’t enter and leave a pitching rotation because your arm needs more rest than others in the rotation. You have to be able to pitch every 4th or 5th day. So durability is the biggest attribute of success other than having good stuff.

The biggest problem the MLB has seems to be an emphasis on throwing instead of pitching. You don’t need to throw 90 MLB to be effective but it takes less talent as a coach to teach throwing than it does to teach the art of pitching.

So there you go it comes down to the development again.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Everyone can hit 100 mph these days.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Yea how effective has it been for Hicks.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Youngsters have to throw well into the 90s to be taken seriously if they hope for a chance at a pro career. I think their arm is already damaged by the time they get into pro ball. And it continues from there. How many evaluations mention how positive it would be to add a few ticks to the fastball.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Anything we get out of Reyes going forward will surprise me. His returning to the IL every year is getting old.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Agreed bling and 14. Reyes started to decline after the all-star game and whether or not Shildt over used him is debatable but I don’t see how he can last a full season. He’s not getting any younger.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Assume he’s done for 2022. Will he be ready to go during spring training of 2023?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Definitive answer.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is no expectation in coming back from shoulder surgery like there is after TJ. Who knows, but wish him good luck.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

So did they sign Reyes to a 1-year deal knowing he would need surgery?

2.85 Million is more than they’re paying Pujols this year.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

If he comes back from that surgery it will be the first ever with that type of injury. I don’t understand why they would take that risk.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes signed his $2.85M contract on March 22. We don’t know if the Cardinals knew at that time he would need surgery. The surgery was announced on May 23.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Thanks gscottar that’s terrible timing then. Mo can’t catch a break. I guess there were time constraints in the arbitration.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

sjeff70 said:

If he comes back from that surgery it will be the first ever with that type of injury.

I am not sure about that. First, there are different severities. A torn labrum is worse than the frayed one Reyes has. While odds are low, some have recovered.

A story from Penn Medicine four years ago says this about labrum surgery in general:

“About half of major leaguers don’t return to form.”

https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/news-blog/2018/november/how-to-survive-baseballs-most-fearsome-injury

Personally, I am not counting on anything from Reyes, but the worst outcome is not 100% assured.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The high likelihood is that if Reyes comes back and produces, it won’t be for St Louis. That is a real bummer as he had so much potential to be a dominant stater. I still remember how good he was late in 2016 on his callup, and thinking how we’d found our ace to replace Waino for the next decade. Turns out that Waino has a better chance to remain the ace in 2026 than Reyes does.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Regarding the timing, folks seem to be unaware of important details. No one was fooled or derelict in their duties.

Reyes was hurt over the winter, but because of the lockout, he was prohibited from talking with anyone from the team, including trainers and doctors.

When the lockout was over and the players reported to camp late, the doctors prescribed a stem cell injection to try to help healing. That would take time to work. The arbitration date came up early on and the two sides decided to settle. No one expressed concern at the time because less was known.

14NyquisT
    Participant

This should put an end of the Reyes “what if” saga in St. Louis. As in what if Reyes comes back strong from this injury or that injury. How we know what his status will be in the future.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes and the Cardinals and the Cardinals’ fan base have already been through so much together. I’d say the organization should cough up the $2.5M and bring him back for one last chance. It sounds like they would be throwing good money after bad, but if the surgery works out, we either have a top tier pitcher, or Reyes finds himself at the end of his runway and the Reyes saga is over.

Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.