2021 Winter Warm-Up and Cardinals Caravans

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Winter Warm-Up and Cardinals Caravans

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Warm-Up will be a virtual event and the Caravans are cancelled.

Autograph sales for pre-signed items, personalized or not, open December 4.

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/fans/winter-warm-up

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Mo going to do a webinar? What about Gary LaRocque doing a Zoom meeting?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good questions, but at this point there have been no announcements about any of the traditional aspects of WWU other than autographs.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Brian.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“Virtual experiences” that you buy on an ala-carte basis. I expect to be selecting some to join, though full media access details are still TBD.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking forward to “Best Dressed Birds”. Only $20 for 45-60 minutes to look into the wardrobes (when they aren’t in uniform) of 3 of the Cardinals best dressed players. It will be interesting and educational to see how they take so such pride in their attire.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Since Harrison Bader is involved, I’m sure you’ll be signed right up, bc!!

In all seriousness, there are probably a number of female fans (and some men) who really are interested in that sort of thing. Can’t cut out a chunk of your fan base. Wouldn’t be my thing, but more power to them.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A male fashion show? Says a lot about all 3.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My face is still red from the face palm I did when I saw the blurb on the wardrobe thing. Well, its for charity at least.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Blingboy – It’s so egocentric, we as fans have to laugh. And then, I guess, just shrug it off.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Anyone who has been around professional athletes in any sport know some of them use their considerable financial resources to dress in a more extreme manner in compared to others more conservative. This is not unique to baseball or the Cardinals. It is also not unique to 2021 as some athletes have dressed audaciously for at least a half-century.

How did you folks ever live through Joe Namath wearing fur coats and pantyhose?

The objections here feel a lot like the complaints the other day about those Cardinals who are not cookie cutter in their behavior. It seems to be getting pretty stuffy in here, but it is too cold to open a window… 😉

Personally, I plan to skip this session, but for those interested, good for them.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Egos of the 3 players –
    One I knew about from inside sources.
    One I strongly suspected.
    One doesn’t surprise me at all.

Sure, Joe Namath was an attire buff. But did he charge his fans to hear him talk about and display his personal clothes?
    Even if it was for charity?

Do these 3 Cardinal players really think
    their fans adore them so much that they want to see what they wear when not in uniform? That’s something for a guy like Neon Dion to do…..”look at me”.

I agree with blingboy. It’s pretty shocking. And it should be embarrassing to those players. Can you imagine a true unpretentious pro like Goldschmidt being involved in something like this? Or Stan the Man? Or Bob Petit? Or Cliff “Lil Abner” Hagen?

No, BW, it’s not getting stuffy.
    The attractiveness of the wholesome, clean cut image of a Musial, Waino, Willie, Ozzie, Maris, Forsch, Pettit, Hagen, Bench, Pujols, Trout, Brady, Warner, Wilson, Palmer, etc. will never go out of style.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Plenty of people are interested in what others wear. Why else do they sell millions of fashion magazines every year? There are dozens of websites devoted to what celebrities wear. Heck, there are billions of views on YouTube videos where people open up and try on clothing. To suggest that it’s entirely about the egos of those three players shows a disconnect with today’s culture. Like it or not, there’s a market for it.

Not to mention, there are female fans. Let’s not pretend that some don’t have an interest in these athletes that goes beyond their baseball card stats.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I understand your thoughts, 25. And I respect your right to have your opinion. I simply don’t care for this video being part of Winter Warm Up. Especially when things like a discussion of the minor league system with Gary LaRocque isn’t on the agenda. And I don’t care for the egos of those 3 players. That’s my opinion and I’ll stand by it (as well as having the right to have it). Simply don’t care for guys with big egos. Especially those who talk the talk (or appear in self promoting fashion shows) and don’t walk the walk.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s fine to not care for players for whatever reason. It’s just not cool to ridicule them for something that benefits charity and has an actual market. I have some friends who are deeply conservative, manly men who’ve worn a dress for charity fundraising. I will never demean people for doing something that might seem silly to raise money for kids in the community.

You have the right to criticize their play or their ego or even their style, just as many of us have the right to disagree with you. It may make you actually “stuffy” though. 😁

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Because LaRocque got bumped off the agenda for this session. Talk about false equivalencies. When you are swinging a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Participant

Paid - Annual

25 – Know your audience. I’ve been involved with charity work for a long time, both on Boards and as a contributor. And I think Cardinals Care is a worthy cause. I’ve had lunch with people from Cardinals Care. But these 3 players are already on other videos that will raise money. Flaherty is already in the “For Starters” video. Fowler and Bader are already in the “Cardinals in the Outfield” video. Do we really need another video that is “look and me and what I wear when I’m not in uniform”? There are plenty of other places to see fashion – on the internet, in magazines, in stores, at fashion shows, etc. Let me ask you a question. Do you really care what clothes Flaherty, Fowler, and Bader wear? No? Then why would anyone else? It’s just an attention grab, charity or not. And maybe it’s just an additional way for the players to get admired by the lady fans. To enhance even further their self image.

Participant

Paid - Annual

BW – Gary got knocked off the agenda to make room for –

Best Dressed Birds?
    In the Kitchen with Paul DeJong?
    On the Ranch with Matt Carpenter?

No video discussion on the minor leaguers? Scouting? The draft? The contraction of the number of minor league teams? Rules in limbo – the DH, automatic man on second in extra innings, 7 inning double headers? The length of games? The contract coming up with the MLBPA? Etc.

Wow.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t care what clothes they wear, but some will. I understand that you are not a fan and so I’ll leave you to your opinions and won’t respond further. Good day, sir.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Who said LaRocque and Flores were bumped for anyone? You are just making that up. Why stop there? Mr. DeWitt and Mo aren’t scheduled to speak either. Did the chairman of the team get bumped by an underling roguish agenda maker? C’mon, man…

There are many, many differences in this virtual event compared to the real ones of the past. Simply put, you have no idea how the agenda was created for what is an entirely different event from before. We get you don’t like it, and it gives you another prime opening to rip on players you don’t like. Please stop already.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You’re right, Brian. I don’t have any idea how the agenda was created. But I can voice an opinion on it, can’t I? And I would offer that Mo, Bill, Jr., and Bill III should have a video on it too, in addition to Gary.

Participant

Free

Bc, I agree that all those guys should have videos. However, it isn’t going to happen. I also see no reason to put down the players who are participating in doing the fashion video. I’m sure they weren’t the ones who came up with the idea. They are only agreeing to do something for charity. While it may not be your cup of tea, others will like it. My daughters would probably be among them.

You seem to indicate you know people within the organization. Why don’t you reach out to them to voice your concerns?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I intend to do that, Forsch. Does it make sense to you that there is no BDW, Jr., no BDW III, No Mo, no Grisch, No LaRocque, no Ferreira, no Flores, no Slater, no Vuch, etc. But we have guys showing off their civilian duds, a guy showing off his cooking prowess, and a guy who flopped last year showing off his ranch?

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Haven’t been on the board in awhile and I can see I didn’t really miss anything. Although, getting triggered over a charity event because some players want to do an MTV style closet reveal is something.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years