2021 Cardinals MLB Game 85 thread – Sunday, July 4 at Colorado

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 85 thread – Sunday, July 4 at Colorado

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Hopefully Mo is working the phones shopping Gallegos and Kim. Those are the two most marketable pieces we have, at least as far as guys you can give up.

Cabrera is one who might net something worthwhile, although you want something real promising in return for him.

Position player wise you could dangle Goldy, Molina and Bader out there. The first two would be a bad signal to the fans, but if you could get some top 50 prospects you have to really think about it. With Goldy you could possibly slide Gorman over to first next year.

Likely he has a no trade clause though.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenter with 2 hits today up to a sizzling .177

ZTR
    Participant

Free

If its going to be a rebuild why keep and pay a player like Goldschmidt around or even Arenado for that matter? As you can see it doesn’t make any real difference.

May as well just tear it down and start from scratch. Next year they need to have one of the youngest teams in baseball.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If this team keeps underachieving, I am okay with playing all of the youth we have, and not playing veterans. Dejong has been a non presence offensively, and Carp is 35 years old and wasting a roster spot. Goldschmudt is the only one who will play due to contract status, ie see Carp above, so Carp probably won’t be let go either.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just don’t see a full rebuild, as many pieces who are slumping don’t have much trade value, and others including some of our bullpeners like Reyes, Cabrera, and Gallegos shouldn’t be moved because they have greater value. For example, what would another team give for CMart or Dejong, eat the contracts, or a class A prospect?

In addition, I think prospects like Nootbaar, Liberatore, Gorman, and Burleson, Pallante, etc. could make a difference in the next year.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Random thought. If enough guys in the organization are ‘not playing to expectation’ you have to think that our ‘expectation’ was faulty.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Depth is the biggest issue this year, which is usually our strength.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

We outhit to Rockies 15-14 and win only one of four games. That is the sign of a club going nowhere fast.
    I don’t understand the adoration for Goldy. He was an MVP top 5 guy for 5 or 6 seasons, until a year BEFORE he came to St. L. Now, much lower.
    Also, he will be 34 in two months. He will probably want to be in the DH league soon, in order to extend his career.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As a fan, you need awful seasons such as this one mingled in. They add tremendous fuel to the excitement level we fans experience when we have a great year. Remember 1982 after those lean years in the 70’s. That one lame decade alone sent our enthusiasm thru the roof in ’82. Win all the time and getting to the world series is right on par with kissing your cousin.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Pugsley:

By your reasoning, if they missed the playoffs ten years in a row and then won it all the excitement would be like nothing anyone has ever experienced. Wait…maybe 2021 is the first of these inglorious years. Perhaps they have secret plans for another 6,7 or 8 years in a row. Yeah, now I see it. They can say that Goldschmidt and Arenado’s contracts are too weighty to add anyone else and they’ll have to wait until both those contracts are gone before they do the REAL BIG spending. Okay, now I see it.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think what pugsley is saying that having a few rather down years then winning a world series or two is better than having somewhat competitive though never great teams for a decade or so. Or maybe not. Maybe he’s just reminiscing, I liked 1982 as well.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Wait…maybe 2021 is the first of these inglorious years.

Let’s see, it’s been 10 years since they won a World Series, eight years since they played in one, and eight years since they last had a real shot. When this season concludes, they will have missed the playoffs four of the past five full regular seasons. I’d say they long ago entered into mediocre territory, and they are a bloated and not talented overpaid team. It starts at the top and goes on from there. It is time for a full on change in the organization.

CatBacker88
    Participant

Free

I fear TexasCard’s summation is, sadly, absolutely correct. I remember that 1968-1982 span. One mediocre team after another. It’s clearly time for a lot of changes.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who is going to start the “BUY OR SELL?” thread?

Technically we have already have one with the Trade Ideas thread pinned at the top.

He will probably want to be in the DH league soon, in order to extend his career.

The NL will be a DH league in 2022.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well texascard, in reality these last ten years have been nothing like the 70s. While we have missed the playoffs a lot, this team has been competitive and finished at or above 500 all those years. Those teams on the 70s were hardly ever competitive. Just think we were like the pirates or the orioles these past ten years and take that in. Heck back in the 70s we finished down with the Mets and the cubs who were absolutely atrocious then. So while these past ten years it may look like we weren’t that great at times, we haven’t been anywhere near those 70s level of atrociousnous.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Willie, I remember those 1970s teams very well. I think they are why I’m reacting the way I am now. Finishing above .500 is admirable, but that isn’t the goal of why they are supposed to be playing the game. I understand it’s good for the owner as 3 million saps cram into the park each year, but at some point that ride ends and you end up where they are…a slow fade. So you are right it isn’t the 1970s Cardinals…yet.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team reminds me more of our early 1990s teams. Good enough to hover around .500 but nothing more. It eventually got Joe Torre fired before moving onto glory with the Yankees.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

gscottar, I tend to agree. From 1988 to 1995, the Cardinals were very mediocre like today’s version. They had a few decent players during that time, even went through a whole new young outfield situation much like the current team. Bottomline, sometimes a franchise just needs a refreshing and we are at that point. In the 1990s it took a total remake from the top down. I believe the Cardinals need a similar makeover now to regain their championship hunger.

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.