2021 Cardinals MLB Game 84 thread – Saturday, July 3 at Colorado

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 84 thread – Saturday, July 3 at Colorado

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

8:10 p.m.
    LHP Wade LeBlanc (0-1, 5.60) vs. LHP Kyle Freeland (1-2, 6.54)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSO in TN, KY and MS

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Bumping up today’s game thread

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am thinking today might be a softball score. I’ll predict the good guys win 11-7.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We face a lefty, which has been our best case so far. I’d like to see Sosa start at SS. Any word on O’Neill would be appreciated.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Freeland has looked better of late. I actually think this will be a tough one and he may keep us from doing much on offense.

A few more notes from the event last night. The club showed a lot of enthusiasm and the bench was alive. I liked the general aura around the club. On field leadership has at least given a good chemistry on the ball club. They just need a little more talent. It be a world of difference if Flaherty and Hudson were both in the rotation and pitching at their norm. So I do not see the need for a major overhaul.

I still can’t see how you can play DeJong. If he was hitting .250 even, you could justify him in there as he is a solid glove and has some pop. But Sosa is the better player at this point IMHO. He usually gets the ball in play, and has good instincts. Still when the Cards did something there was a lot of cheering there as well.

Talked to some folks in from Iowa for qyite awhile – Des Moines area. They said it is mostly Cub country there, but they are die hard Cardinal fans – two generations were there. The older folks go back to the Gibson/Brock days and listening to Harry Caray on KMOX.

Oh, I figured out the socks. They look to be special all-star socks and are navy blue. They looked black from where we were sitting.

Any word on O’Neill?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I am starting to wonder how much longer we continue to run Goldschmidt out there? He just doesnt seem to do much to me. He’s been somewhat of a disappointment since coming over and appears to be trending downward.

Question – if we are 10-12 games out as we near the trade deadline and some team comes calling about Goldschmidt and offers us a pretty good haul, do we pull the trigger and say goodbye Paul?

r/Esteemed Rat

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Cardinals need to make hay while the sun is shining.

A win tonight and they will have clawed back to .500.

You can always build from .500.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Let’s face it, Goldschmidt’s stock has gone done and anything we could get back might make it is probably wiser to just keep him…. unless you want to see Carpenter starting at first. There just isn’t enough expendable talent here or at Memphis as of today but there are some ILers (Whitley-Flaherty-Ponce) returning to the pitching staff so there may be some lesser valued pitchers available for movement. (but don’t expect much in return). We added LeBlanc and Waddell just for some depth so we’ll see who gets moved when we get some guys back.

Word is that Gant fell asleep in the barber’s chair and the didn’t say “when”…. as in “say when”. I’d say he looks much better though.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill / Bader / Carlson has been the starting outfield just 15 times so far this season. That’s a meager 18% this season.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t envision any scenario where Goldschmidt would be traded anytime soon. I just don’t see it.

While he hasn’t met our lofty expectations his overall numbers aren’t that bad. He is on pace for 25 HR’s and 85 RBI’s but needs to get the OPS closer to .800. His problem is that he comes with very high expectations and is showing a gradual decline due to age. I still think his decline will be gradual and won’t fall off a cliff like Carp.

He has actually been hot lately. In the last 14 days his line is .305/.370/.531/.901.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gant fell asleep in the barber’s chair

My granddaughter is heartbroken baseball Jesus has gone away.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Does this mean that we’re going to make a trade or just freeing up space for someone already here, or the new guy…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The new guy Miller takes Flaherty’s 40 man slot. Nogoski had previously been off the 40 man to make way for Waddell. We got cash for Nog, better than getting nothing.

Nog will end up playing there in Pittsburgh. Probably do well.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Justin Millers minor league stats look pretty good. Is he a classic AAAA guy?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes I wish nogowski well. He just didn’t hit when he had the chance with us.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Some more dumpster diving by the Cardinals. There isn’t much more they can do I reckon.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its hard to call 20 PAs a chance.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) RF
    2. Dylan Carlson (S) LF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    7. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    8. Edmundo Sosa (R) 2B
    9. Wade LeBlanc (L) P

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why has Bader moved up to the #6 slot? Just because he hit a gram swam last night at Mile High?

Cubs lead the Reds 2-1 in the bottom of the 5th at Crosley Field.

Brewers lead the Pirates 5-1 in the 4th at Forbes Field.

r/Esteemed Rat

UPDATE: Tyler Naquin homers in the last of the 5th and the Cubs/Reds are now tied 2-2.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader is best vs lhp’s. Edman back at leadoff for the same reason.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Its hard to call 20 PAs a chance.

Agreed. But Nogowski was never a slugging 1B. I think shipping him off was more about clearing playing time for Juan Yepez.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader with a tootblan. What have you done for me lately.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I admit I had to google tootblan. Thats hilarious!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years