2021 Cardinals MLB Game 78 thread – Sunday, June 27 vs. Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 78 thread – Sunday, June 27 vs. Pirates

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

It just keeps coming and coming and coming.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Well gee, it’s not like they’re playing the Diamondbacks or the Orioles. These are the Pirates they’re dealing with.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Apparently the big league club decided it want to look just like our four full season farm clubs since organizational symmetry is supposed to be an objective. Our pitchers are getting pummeled again and our offense is being no-hit by a complete newbie. Imagine what is going to happen when we start playing against winning teams.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian posted the upcoming game threads, its LeBlanc tomorrow. A guy that has been released by 3 clubs in the last 3 months. We can hope for the best. I wish him well.

If he doesn’t walk four in the first it will be an improvement. Helps when the bar is low.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe this Pirates pitcher will throw a perfect game in his debut. That would be icing on the cake.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Raining cats and dogs 10 miles SW of Busch. Lightning and thunder.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah I posted about LeBlanc being tomorrow’s starter earlier in this thread.

This game going to a rain delay is very fitting.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rain delay I see. Yeah their guy is only at 50 pitches through 5 innings, so we are not even making him work for it. Averaging 10 pitches per inning. In other words, our guys are mailing it in.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While this month has been brutal for us fans I also maintain that a complete and total collapse may not be the worst thing to happen. I say that because it is probably the only thing to get the attention of this front office and ownership group. Maybe they will finally realize that tinkering around the edges and trying to build a 87 game winner every year is not the way to go. Maybe if we just completely collapse and finish behind the Pirates it will be the wake up call we need.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Ya gotta give it to this Kravik kid. Well done.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Worst team in baseball…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In the 1980’s we had a world series team in 1982, a losing team in 1983, an average team in 1984, a world series team in 1985, a losing team in 1986, a world series team in 1987, and a losing team in 1988. I prefer that method of team building over what we have now.

What we have now is an attempt to build a 87 game winner year with the hopes that everything will fall into place once in a while and we overachieve and win 92 games and make a run in the playoffs. Why? Because it keeps enough fans interested to sell tickets. That is why.

Sorry but I would prefer more of a roller coaster where we go for it followed by a slight rebuild.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ball State, Cranny?

This may the best game Cy Kranick pitches in his entire career.

I’ve never been one to want my beloved teams to tank mid-season, so to improve it’s draft order for the following year……but let’s tank. Let’s start by starting Carpenter ever game. That Jason Williams kid is looking pretty good too right about now…Moroff too but I think he’s banged up.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rain has slowed to a sprinkle and sky is lighter. The worst should be past Busch shortly.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

4 inning club, walk away, check back tomorrow

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Those hoping for a tank job better hope new blood is making the picks in the subsequent draft, because the current clown show would draft prospects that would be below slot just to save a buck. Their record isn’t all that great.

For the record I wouldn’t be opposed to mailing it in midseason, cleaning house and rebuilding this thing with some real talent. But only if the house cleaning part comes first. And please no more hiring the interim manager just because they win a few games. That’s one of the many bad decisions that got us where we are at currently.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another storm front coming through here.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, I watched the first couple of innings, then went to Lowe’s to get some gravel to build up a side driveway area we have where the gravel was thinned out.

I get all that done in a couple of hours, then check in and we are down 7-0, and getting out hit 11-1!!

Man, it seems every few days we hit a new low in this trouble campaign.

I still don’t think tanking, or cleaning house is necessary. Get Flaherty and Hudson back at the top of the rotation, with what you hope will be Mikolas and perhaps Reyes as middle guys, and that is a good start. Jettison Carpenter, Thomas and possibly DeJong, work on strengthening the bullpen, and get after it next year.

Hopefully Arenado returns. Goldy will be a year older and a bit further in decline mode. You gotta figure O’Neill and Carlson will be better. You hope Sosa develops, and Edman gains consistency. I would like to see Gorman as the left fielder next year.

It would be fun to go into next season with an infield of Goldy, Edman, Sosa and Arenado, an outfield of Gorman, O’Neill and Carlson, with Bader at 4, and maybe Knizner catching with Liberatore in the rotation. I bet that lineup, if healthy and Flaherty and Hudson anchoring the rotation, Cabrera and Gallegos the bullpen, could compete.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

One thing that has not been brought up much, but is really starting to be a factor in the club’s decline is letting Kolten Wong walk. What we did is weaken a key position and the bench, all in one fell swoop.

To top it off, he was signed by a division rival. In a way that doubles the blunder.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see letting Wong walk similar to letting Lynn walk earlier. We didn’t think either was worth paying but we could sure use either one now.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What to do about Oviedo?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Personally, I think some of the players have quit and some of the older ones also no longer care.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good question JJ. Oviedo has never won a big league start. He is 0 for 14. But I don’t know if we really have many other viable options at this point but just to continue running him out there. I like his stuff most of the time but like most of our pitchers too many walks which results in a high pitch count which results in a short outing.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Regardless of other rotation options, my question is what is best for Oviedos career?

At what point do you draw the line at not competing well and move him to the pen or minors?

1982 willie
    Participant

Oviedo was put in the rotation too soon. It’s not hard to see that. Of course you can say they don’t have a lot of options but the team can go out and get options if they so chose to do. Maybe they wouldn’t have been the best pitchers and we still would be losing but at least he would have a better shot of developing. Of course fans are also the part of the problem, a lot of them want these young players brought up too soon. But ownership is supposed to be smarter than your average fan.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.