2021 Cardinals MLB Game 7 thread – Thu, April 8 vs. Brewers (Home Opener)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 7 thread – Thu, April 8 vs. Brewers (Home Opener)

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Barring major injury to one of the three, one of them has to go. For numerous reasons. First off, our Birds have too many glaring needs elsewhere (see Cranny for need #1) not to trade from a position of plenty. And does one really believe that Reyes, Hicks or Gallegos are going to be content for an entire season not being the main man out of the pen? Plus, there is kind of an unwritten Cardinal rule amongst professional baseball teams that if you are unbelievably fortune enough to have an unusual cache of either closers or catchers, you don’t hog them.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Count me as one who prefers to keep all three late game guys. I think an outfielder from among Williams, O’Neill, Tommy Lane, Bader or Dean will step up by mid-season and claim a regular spot and hit with authority.

Carlson will get a full season to show what he can do, and I think he will be a force over the second half. Needs to quiet down some in his approach at the plate – look at Arenado and see how he does it. Well balanced, not a lot of leg movement, not much stride. Stays in control.

Again, sorry to hear about Shannon. He was never the best as a PBP guy. He was great in the color role teamed with Jack Buck in the ‘80s and ‘90s. He passed as the lead guy after that, but it is not his natural post. Sort of like his playing days. He was a right fielder who passed as a third baseman later in his career, but his true home was the outfield.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

there is kind of an unwritten Cardinal rule amongst professional baseball teams that if you are unbelievably fortune enough to have an unusual cache of either closers or catchers, you don’t hog them.

Is this kind of like the unwritten rule that Tyler must swing at everything until he is 0 and 2?

I enjoy your exceedingly dry sense of humor Pugs in suggesting this. Never say never,but it’s nice having at least one thing that you don’t have to worry about.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I would groom both Reyes and Hicks into starter roles in ‘22. Or I would be okay with one of them going that route next year, and the other the following year.

Hicks is still a little too wild for a long-term role. He needs to follow the Sandy Koufax style and ease up a bit to gain control, as he has plenty of velocity.

We got lulled into thinking we had too many outfielders, and traded guys away. Unfortunately the guys we traded, at least the likes of Mercado and Arozarena, have fared better than the ones we have kept.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I wouldn’t trade anyone of those 3. IMO they put Hicks in the pen for a reason. Reyes is in his spot for injury concerns and Gallegos I do believe has never started. Either way they keep it up and all of them will get paid. Makes a very good 7-8-9 trio if it works out.

bccran
    Participant

The tradeable pieces are guys like Helsley, Fernandez, Oviedo, Parsons, Roberts, Rondon, Pallante, etc.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The tradeable pieces are guys like Helsley, Fernandez, Oviedo, Parsons, Roberts, Rondon, Pallante, etc.

Mo: But, Jeff, the next RA could be hiding in this box of spare parts, you could redeem yourself.

Bridich: Really? Hmmm.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe it’s just me? I’d love to keep the Big 3 intact, but one of these amigos has to go. It could be any one of them, but if I were a betting man, I’d say it’ll be Reyes that gets dealt.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reyes has been talked about as entering the rotation next season by Mo. While that does not exclude him from trade consideration, it sets his perceived value to the organization.

There will be multiple openings in the 2022 rotation.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

There will be multiple openings in the 2022 rotation.

Unless Carlos shines, Mikolas heals, and Waino maintains excellence.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years