2021 Cardinals MLB Game 65 thread – Sunday, June 13 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 65 thread – Sunday, June 13 at Cubs

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, we got two hits and only made two errors. Nobody got hurt. Nothing is on fire. We can build on that.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I sound like a broken record, but when you continue to play two guys hitting in the .170s, and do not have your best defense out there, not to mention batting order, you will struggle.

If Shildt cannot be strong enough to move his number 3 hitter because he is not producing, and tell his regular shortstop he is making a change, then we will continue to lose a lot because the pitching is not there.

You simply have to put your best options on offense and defense. This game was a prime example. Had Sosa played, maybe you steal this one. Hard to say and maybe we lose 3-0 with Sosa, but he has outplayed DeJong so far.

Just so frustrating seeing the same lineup when we continue to lose, and there are other options.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As bad as the Cardinals are right now our schedule the rest of the month is pretty weak. We have the Marlins, Braves, Tigers, Pirates, and Dbacks. All of those teams have losing records. It wouldn’t surprise me to see us go on a little run although it will probably be false hope because we obviously can’t hang with the good teams.

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

Those other teams are looking at the cardinals saying they have a losing record we should beat them.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt hasn’t shown he’s willing to start Sosa over Carpenter. Sosa’s playing time came from DeJong being IL.

Shildt also replaced a manager who had benched Fowler and his significant salary, and got canned for it.

Shildt starts the established vet (Carp), sits the guy who couldn’t even get a call up last season (Sosa) and plays Carps significant salary when there is a choice. Manager survival skills 101.

Is it fair for me to connect the dots in that manner?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Shildt is definitely a ‘players’ manager. Would work really well with a veteran laden playoff contender.

Don’t know if he can mould and shape younger talent yet.

I think he’s a decent manager, nothing more and nothing less. Is he squeezing every win he can out of this team? Two weeks ago I’d have said yes then all the wheels fell off.

I wonder who is actually making the line up decisions? Is it really him or is it really a committee of 3?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is it fair for me to connect the dots in that manner?

I guess it depends on what the FO places a higher value on? Playing the guys with the big contracts or playing the guys who give you a better shot to win? I am sure Shildt has the pulse of what his bosses want.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Playing the guys with the big contracts or playing the guys who give you a better shot to win?

For the last 5-6 years at least, the Cardinals have almost always chosen to play the contracts.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Well, we’re offering up our box of chocolates tonight – Carlos “you-never-know-what-you’re-gonna-get” Martinez. Perhaps the Carlos with the crunchy center will turn up. Then again, most likely he won’t.

Got the crunchy center from Martinez but 2 hits doesn’t get you too far. Plus the errors hurt.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Yes, he certainly deserved better. There is no shortage of people to blame. Or you can just lay back, forget about winning and just enjoy the occasional beautiful moments as they come around, however infrequently.

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years