2021 Cardinals MLB Game 65 thread – Sunday, June 13 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 65 thread – Sunday, June 13 at Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:08 p.m.
    RHP Carlos Martinez (3-6, 6.21) vs. TBA
    ESPN // KMOX

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Another series loss, and everything is going downhill for our club. Pitching injuries are the most egregious issue, but too many players not performing up to their norm has hurt, and in my opinion the manager is not using his best lineups.

We probably have one of the poorest third slot production in MLB. Shildt keeps hitting Goldy in that key spot, and he has not produced all year, at least not to the level of what you need in that most key of all batting positions.

Playing Carpenter, which then moves another high priority position player out of his spot is another killer. Then you get a shortstop back who did not produce well when he was healthy, and immediately play him over a better guy (DeJong OPS+ of 86, Sosa 104).

You really need to keep Edman at second, and suck it up with Thomas in right until Bader returns. And you need to hit Arenado third.

Not a great option going with Thomas, but at least you have some defense and it’s not like Carpenter is an offensive threat. It’s too bad none of the bench guys has made an impact. Several guys have had a chance to claim some playing time, and only Sosa has earned it. Thomas, Williams, Nogowski, Dean, Moroff – none of them have helped fill the gap.

The lineup I would go with is this:

Edman,2b
    Carlson, cf
    Arenado, 3b
    O’Neill, lf
    Goldschmidt, 1b
    Sosa, ss
    Molina, c
    THomas, rf

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As long as we are talking about Schildt persisting with questionable lineups, we should look at continuing to bat Carlson 2nd vs righties. From the left side he is hitting .235 with a .322 OBP. That undeniably sucks in the 2nd slot.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

With all the walks I am just wondering if Mike Maddux job as pitching coach is on the line?

And BikeMike I do like your new lineup. Except Thomas though. Not sure what the answer is right now in RF, however.

Get ready for the sweep and to be in 4th place because it’s coming later tonight……

r/Esteemed Rat

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stl ranks 20th batting third.

Godly 178 PA’s, .772 ops
    Arenado 86 PA’s, .771 ops

There also 12 PA’s by others, all worse.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman has a .294 obp from the left side vs righties. Should we move him from leadoff too?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have wondered about Maddux too. I don’t think anyone expected our pitching to be this bad, even with the injuries. I don’t know if the Cards will make a move during the season but at this point I would be surprised to see Maddux or Albert either one in the dugout in 2022.

We are now 1-4 against the Cubs this year and will probably be 1-5 after tonight considering how erratic CMart is. I hate losing to these guys and I hate seeing them in first place. I thought the Cubs were supposed to be down this year. They basically waived the white flag over the winter by getting rid of Darvish, Lester, and Schwarber but then Bryant decided to revert back to his MVP days and their bullpen has been lights out. Kimbrel is back to his old self and then they have a group of no-names out in the pen who have dominated, not to mention Patrick Wisdom coming out of nowhere. Cub fans used to complain about the Cardinal devil magic but it looks like they have found some of their own and I don’t like it.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As long as it takes 8 runs to win (Fri.) we will win every 7th game at our current results this season.

If it takes 9 runs (Sat.) we win once every 11 games.

No amount of lineup juggling can overcome 66 RA in 10 June games.

A 2-8 June W/L seems appropriate the way we are pitching, and I support bikeMikes lineup, but doubt it can outscore our pitching.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Well, we’re offering up our box of chocolates tonight – Carlos “you-never-know-what-you’re-gonna-get” Martinez. Perhaps the Carlos with the crunchy center will turn up. Then again, most likely he won’t.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman has a .294 obp from the left side vs righties. Should we move him from leadoff too?

If .294 OBP in leadoff ranks 20th or worse I guess so.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I flipped a coin and it said the Cubs will win tonight.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) RF
    2. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    6. Yadier Molina (R) C
    7. Matt Carpenter (L) 2B
    8. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    9. Carlos Martinez (R) P

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Same old losing lineup. What is the definition of insanity?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Stl ranks 20th batting third.

Thanks JJ. Yeah, I think Carpenter even got a start there.

On Carlson, he has struggled, especially from the left side. But I do like the two switch-hitters at the top. Once Bader returns he would take the 8 spot and Thomas to the bench. I do not care for Thomas in the lineup either, but it is about the only option to get Edman back to second, and at least put your best defensive club out there.

Since the offense is weak, and pitching bad, at least have a phase of the game that is above average. Maybe you can steal a win with some good defense here and there.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we get another short start it will get pretty desperate. Like Jim Edmonds said the other day, Schildt can’t afford to use a bench player to pinch hit since he might need him to pitch.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

How about this lineup?

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Yasiel Puig (R) RF
    6. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    7. Yadier Molina (R) C
    8. Edmundo Sosa (R) SS
    9. Carlos Martinez (R) P

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice, but I would flip-flop Yasiel with TO (“Tyler O’Neill” to the layman), KsCardFan. Carlson has really disappointed me thus far. No he’s far from a Trainwreck, but he’s capable of so much more. If what we see out of Dylan this year is going to be his norm, then he’s going to be one of the finest utility outfielders in the league. I look for bigger things out of Carlson moving forward.

What’s for din-din one may inquire? How about real turkey(not that pressed junk) over two slices of white bread smothered in gravy and butter, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, big deli pickles laced heavily with salt and Savannah pecan pie.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

kscardfan,
    PUIGS?????? NWIH!!!

And the Reds down Colorado 6-2 and Milwaukee is up 5-2 in the 8th against Pittsburgh. 4th place is right around the corner for us.

Besides Maddux I am also wondering if Shildt’s job might be on the line as well……

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maddux definitely could get canned. I’m strangely indifferent when it comes to Shildt’s job security. He just doesn’t move me one way or the other, except that it’s been since Vern Rapp where I’ve seen a Cards skipper with such few personality traits to get excited about.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We all know the problems we are seeing came from uphill, but it does flow downhill.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well they didn’t get 11 runs.

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

No one will get fired. Moz is going to lean on the injury bug as an out.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

I’m liking CMart so far
    Defense is looking smooth too. Maybe tonights the night!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top 3rd, still in it.

1982 willie
    Participant

It’s good to be optimistic.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.