2021 Cardinals MLB Game 6 thread – Wednesday, April 7 at Marlins

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 6 thread – Wednesday, April 7 at Marlins

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m going to say that Flaherty cuts his ERA in half today.

Good call, ZTR. His ERA went from 12.46 to 5.23 with today’s start.

Participant

Free

Do the Cardinals have one of the worst lineups in MLB with the exception of Paul Goldschmidt and Nolan Arenado? Serious question.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp with the walk and Yadi with the dinger!! 2-0, Cards!

Participant

Free

And right on time is Molina going yard. Nice job Yadi.

DavidDavid
    Participant

Free

It’s the old timers coming thru. Carp with the walk and Yadi with the singer. Go Cards

DavidDavid
    Participant

Free

Do the Cardinals have one of the worst lineups in MLB with the exception of Paul Goldschmidt and Nolan Arenado? Serious question.

Stat wise through 6 games? Yes. Talent and potential… not even close. I think they’re just trying to hard right now and trying to break out of the funk by trying to hit it out of the stadium. They’ll figure it out eventually. I think they just need to be more patient at the plate… get a walk, maybe an excuse me single and that may just be what they need.. that’s my opinion anyway

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman can be a weapon on the bases if he can get on base at a good clip. Nice 2nd steal for him.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like mentioned, Edman’s steal leads to an insurance run on the Goldy single.

Participant

Free

We may have the worst hitting outfield in MLB history!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill had to do anything but what he did there. He handed the Marlins pitcher two strikes and ultimately Ked for the 8th time in 12 series at bats.

Participant

Free

That a boy Dylan!

Participant

Free

There’s your Cardinal outfielder of the future. Now we need 2 more.

Participant

Free

You’d think a guy hits a grand slam would at least smile.

Participant

Free

Cool Hand Dylan.

DavidDavid
    Participant

Free

We may have the worst hitting outfield in MLB history!

We could have Fowler and Ozuna. 5/40 , 0 HR, and both over 30. I’m happy with our outfield. They’ll figure it out. Go Cardinals.

Participant

Paid - Annual

“You can’t keep a good man down”. Carlson won’t be batting 7th for long. He’ll greatly enhance those offensive numbers soon and with it, should come a nice little promotion to 2nd in the order. How does Edman-Carlson-Arenado-Goldschmidt grab you? It’s a coming.

DavidDavid
    Participant

Free

I like that line up Pugsley, with Molina batting 5th.

DavidDavid
    Participant

Free

With our pitching struggles in Cincy, I’d say we bounced back nicely in Miami. It may not have always been pretty but we got the job done and made the pitches when it counted. I expect a good outing from Waino tomorrow.

DavidDavid
    Participant

Free

Great D to end the game.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks’ arm looks as fast as it was previously. 103 in that last at bat.

Good all around game…took a while to get the bats going but they came around. I’ll take the sweep in Miami and a 4-2 road trip. Looking forward to the home opener!

DavidDavid
    Participant

Free

4-2 road trip to start the season with our offensive struggles in the outfield.. I’ll take it. Once our young outfield gets it going.. God be with those pitchers who have to face our lineup.

Participant

Paid - Annual

we may never lose again

Participant

Free

4-2 isn’t too bad given the early pitching issues and hitting issues. Still have concerns with 2/3 of the outfield at the plate but all in all I’ll take 4-2 heading home for the Brew Crew.

DavidDavid
    Participant

Free

I think Ponce and Gants performance inspired Flaherty today and will continue in to tomorrow with Waino and Saturday with Cmart.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

A few comments about this one. I have always been a Tyler O’Neill fan and believe he needs to play. Great power potential with that short stroke.

But the guy has to be more selective. Pitching is all about command, and hitting all about pitch selection. Ted Williams articulated that probably better than anyone.

So O’Neill has two ABs where he is ahead in the count 2-0. Your thinking there has to be “If he grooves one, I am all over it. But if the pitch is where I cannot do much with it, even if it is a strike, I let it go”. The first 2-0 AB Ty had the third pitch was up. Nothing you can do with that except maybe pop up on the infield. Let it go, but O’Neill swings at it. I like the aggressiveness, but again you only go after a pitch you can handle. That changes the entire sequence and he ends up getting overwhelmed.

Many of our guys have the opposite problem – they let the 2-0 groove pitch go.

Anyway, the second AB, with the bases loaded, the 2-0 pitch is down this time. Again, nothing you can really do on that so let it go. But Ty swung, then got two more like that and struck out. None of those pitches were strikes, but of course you get to 2 strikes and you have to hit defensively, and protect.

You just have to drill into your head that when you are up in the count either 2-0 or 3-1, you as a hitter are in command. You only jump on that pitch that is in your zone. Anywhere else, let it go, even if it is borderline and might be called a strike.

In the ninth, after we blow it open I was surprised Shildt still went with Hicks. Thought he would switch and go with Woodford there. But I guess he figured Hicks was warmed up so let’s stick with him. The risk is he has a high pitch inning, which he did, and now you burned him for a possible appearance tomorrow.

But Cabrera looked great – pounding the zone. And Flaherty recovered nicely. I liked how Edmonds kept saying he needed to abandon the slider early as it was not working, and throw the fastball. He finally started doing that, then got better command with his other pitches.

Great win. Some good things after getting hammered in a couple by the Big Red Machine.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years