2021 Cardinals MLB Game 51 thread – Friday, May 28 at D-backs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 51 thread – Friday, May 28 at D-backs

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    GACard
    Participant

Free

I didn’t agree on first look , but after seeing relay I agree with Edmonds here. Why have reply if only a few things are reviewable?

Also give me a Robo ump

1982 willie
    Participant

I just don’t know if I would have pulled woodford with chance to score. Now helsley is messing around. Ump makes a bad call on yadi, just wow.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am getting a bad feeling … this is not going well.

Strike out, then a base hit … Cards up 7-5 and now a pitching change.

GACard
    Participant

Free

It’s tough to have faith when the bullpen is this weak as a unit and Reyes and Gallegos have thrown two in a row each

1982 willie
    Participant

I agree there 1964, it’s why I wouldn’t have pulled woodford. He was still throwing quality pitches, might easily have gone the distance. I mean he wasnt going to pitch tomorrow no matter what. I know we had a chance to score but a reliable pitcher is better than a chance to score especially carpenter batting.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice to see Ponce come in and close the door.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well we got out of that one. Can we get some extra runs here.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree Willie. The Redbirds need to add on here. Hated to see them strand O’Neal at third last inning.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Daring base running by Goldy! An RBI oppo here.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nolan with sac fly … Cards up 8-5.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here we go again … tying run at the plate.

Now Ponce hits the batter … bases loaded and winning run at the plate with one out.

Redbirds need a double play

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Jesus this is a scary game for us!

GACard
    Participant

Free

The sac fly is nice right now

GACard
    Participant

Free

How many strikes can ponce throw that get called balls. Robo umps!!!!!!

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ponce gets the final two outs to end a nail-biter! Yikes!

GACard
    Participant

Free

Nice win. Always interesting!

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neal on pace to hit 29 homers and drive in 65 runs.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edmundo is o-Arizona. He’ll surely get off the proverbial desert schneid in today’s game. Thank God we were playing the Diamondbacks in these last two games. If we had been playing anyone else, we would have lost them both. Let’s get this teetering ship righted!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The thing about rushing guys through the system, like with Oviedo, is he has burned two option years already, 2020 and this year. He seems destined to become another not ready for prime time guy we will have to carry all year on the active roster because he is out of options.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think players used option years in 2020

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For 2021, I don’t see a 20 day stretch where Oviedo wasn’t on the active roster. Today, I think he hasn’t burned an option year yet, but Brian deserves the last word on Oviedo’s options status.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It will be good if 2020 didn’t count and he has them all left. Keeping from burning one this year will be a chore though unless we continue to be riddled with injuries. Ponce and Sosa are out of options I think and I don’t know who else might be.

The 2020 season happening right when the minors were reconfigured makes it hard to figure how the new set up will affect player development. The present lack of upper level depth in our system also obscures things. Maybe rushed through guys will take on the previous role of the AAAA guys, I don’t know. It will be hard to park depth guys with youngsters needing upper level roster slots to move into, to make room for even younger guys.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Oviedo probably will be a rotation arm on the big league level, but there’s always a chance his command never gets good enough to keep him from the bullpen. He could be a real weapon there, if used properly.

Anyway, good to squeeze out a win last night. Contrary to popular belief, most 90+ win teams do just what this Cardinal team has done so far…make hay against bad squads and have a fairly middling record against >.500 squads.

bccran
    Participant

Woodford was the starting pitcher for the PCL in the 2019 AAA All Star Game.
    Don’t understand why he hasn’t been given more of a chance by the Cardinals.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Oviedo is the typical Cardinal pitcher. He looks good, has plenty of velocity and stuff, but just cannot find the strike zone enough to take it to the next level.

Still I would not give up on him. If he can work hard to gain command of his pitches, he will be a good one.

Reminds me a little of a guy from the ‘70s, Mike Torrez. Similar type of pitcher. Good size, good stuff, but had issues with control early in his career. The Cardinals gave up on him and he matured and was a very good pitcher for both the Red Sox and Yankees.

And I agree with Cranny on Woodford. He had a great Spring as well. I would have thought he would be the first “sixth” starter they tried out of the gate. Seems like he could be more utilized than he has been so far.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.