2021 Cardinals MLB Game 30 thread – Tues, May 4 vs Mets to Wed Game 1

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 30 thread – Tues, May 4 vs Mets to Wed Game 1

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m.
    LHP Kwang Hyun Kim (1-0, 3.29) vs. RHP Jacob deGrom (2-2, 0.51)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Eastern Arkansas

New game time: 4:15 Wednesday on BSM Plus.
    KK Kim will start Game 1 with Johan Oviedo taking the ball in Game 2 (corrected). Both will be seven innings.
    Stroman to start Game 1. deGrom was scratched for the Mets. Replacement will be bullpen Game 2.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Monday update: Johan Oviedo is being recalled from Memphis to start with all others pushed back one day. An IL move (Hicks?) should be coming Tuesday.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our young hero Mr Oviedo has the unenviable task of facing not only the Mets’ lineup but the opposing starter who’s been mowing down opponents with regularity this season. Of course, no pitcher can be perfect forever and perhaps winning a showdown with the Ace of aces right now is just the thing that Johan needs to launch his career into the stratosphere.

I’ll say that Johan is impressive, going 6 innings with 9 Ks while allowing a single run. DeGrom is his usual self, and leaves with the game tied 1-1. The rest will be up to the pens. To say that a win tonight would be a huge boost for the team at a critical juncture is putting it lightly. Tyler O’Neill cracks a walk off blast into Big Mac Land and the Cards win it 3-2.

Participant

Paid - Annual

DeGrom is well on his way to his third Cy Young award. The guy is a machine who can still hit 100mph in the 8th inning. But he doesn’t get much run support so the Cards just need to hang tough and pull it out at the end. I like 25’s prediction of 3-2 Birds.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

I remember a seemingly daunting matchup like this a mere 22 years ago when young pup Jose Jimenez outdueled Randy Johnson twice with shutouts in 2 weeks, including a no hitter in an otherwise terrible season. You never know what these young guys can muster when they go against the best of the best. But I predict 8-0 Mets.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Can somebody explain this to me? I just dont get it?

Why – WHY – cant Reyes and Hicks throw the ball over the plate???????

Reyes flirts with disaster a great deal of the time basically because he cannot throw strikes. We were very fortunate last night.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

Rats, go try to throw the ball 100 MPH and tell me how much control you have.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Reyes is a major league baseball pitcher. He’s been doing this for years. In my mind there is no excuse for consistent wildness from him and/or Hicks. Same with Rosenthal.

Reyes is 8/8 in save opportunities but it could easily be 6/8 or worse.

r/Esteemed Rat

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs and Dodgers play a doubleheader today at Wrigley after last night’s rainout. Not started well for Kershaw and the Doyers as the Cubs have a 4-0 lead in the 1st. Lot of ballgame left though.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Doppler Radar shows alot of green stuff currently in the St. Louis area. Around 3:00 St. Louis time. The radar in motion somewhat indicates most of the wet stuff might be out of the St. Louis area by game time.

I’d just about expect a delay in this one but one never knows.

And the Cubs now lead the Dodgers and Kershaw 6-0 in the 4th at Wrigley in Game One of a DH.

r/Esteemed Rat

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs take Game One over the Dodgers by the score of 7-1.

The WhiteSox are in Cincinnati tonight to face the Reds. Cease and Hoffman on the hill.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You’re a tough grader, Rat. Alexander Reyes has not surrendered an earned run in his 14 1/3 innings of labor this year.

Let’s hope our boys are prepared to deMean, deGrade and deStroy this Metropolitan hurler tonight. Yeah he’s hot right now, but he’s hittable…..and we have just the gents to hit this fellow.

I want to caution everyone NOT to allow our esteemed friend’s(Cranny) words to squash the din-din element out of our game threads, as they have been a tradition here for many a year now. I’ll get the ball a rolling again with tonight’s din-din of 3 poached eggs(butter drizzled over the top) over 2 pieces of buttered white toast, crisp bacon, pancakes and hot coffee with cream and sugar along with a chilled glass of cranberry juice to wash it all down with.

Go Birds!

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I love a breakfast at Din-Din time Pugs.

Tonight I’m being told that I’m having two hamburger patties w/diced onions, mashed potatoes w/white gravy, crunchy fried okra and homestyle biscuits.

That’s a nice 5 game win streak the boys have going.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

DeGrom scratched from tonights start-MLBTR
    Miguel Castro to start in his place

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Kershaw apparently only lasted one inning today. Cubs got four in the 1st so not sure why he was lifted after just one inning. The Cubs also lost Arrieta and Hoerner to injuries. Not sure what or how long.

And my din-din today was a steak and cheese with lettuce, onions, mayo, and mustard from Subway. Along with five chocolate chip cookies from Subway also. Later tonight I am going to have some Sloppy Joe and finish off what’s left of my not-really-that-great homemade ice cream.

And in case anybody is wondering, yes, me and Whitey Herdog will be on the couch for tonight’s titanic struggle, along with a cigar or two.

r/Esteemed Rat

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman 2B
    Carlson RF
    Goldschmidt 1B
    DeJong SS
    Carpenter 3B
    Williams LF
    Bader CF
    Knizner C
    Oviedo P

since DeGrom was scratched there may be STL lineup changes

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a stroke of luck for the Cards. Hopefully he’s alright to make his next start.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

Reyes’s wildness does perhaps give the hitters a little discomfort while digging in. While not ideal, it can have a silver lining.
    DeGrom clearly saw my reference to the Jiminez/Johnson matchups and saved himself some embarassment.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

With DeGrom out, I wouldn’t mind seeing Sanchez. He should be familiar with the pitching and could strike a blow against his former compadres.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have Williams and Bader switched from the lineup posted above. From Baseball Press.

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    5. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    6. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    7. Justin Williams (L) LF
    8. Andrew Knizner (R) C
    9. Johan Oviedo (R) P

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Doppler radar shows alot of green stuff in the metropolitan St. Louis area. I’d be surprised if this one starts on time. From what I saw we might be looking at about a two hour delay.

But then again, I am not a meterologist.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Its been sprinkling on and off. Nothing I would call steady rain. 10 mi. SW of Busch.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is there where you live Bling?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, about 9 or 10 miles out Gravois from downtown.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully we can get this in tonight. Oviedo I think will be fine but can we hit this guy who hasn’t started in 3 years. We struggle against guys like this sometimes. Also why is there a running commentary on the cubs game. Just having the cubs mentioned here just takes all the joy out of the day. Keep it on topic. I think there is a cubs thread, why I don’t know but there is.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years