2021 Cardinals MLB Game 155 thread – Saturday, September 25 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 155 thread – Saturday, September 25 at Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:20 p.m.
    LHP Jon Lester (7-6, 4.59) vs. RHP Adrian Sampson (3-3, 2.84)
    ESPN+ // BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSO in TN, KY and MS

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Perhaps this might be the game that Arenado finally does something? He’s not done much since that two run homer in the 1st on Monday evening.

Me and Whitey Herdog should be tuned in for this one. Along with a couple of cigars.

r/Esteemed Rat

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea I’m hoping arenado gets hot. It’s great to have these other guys but arenado is needed, not only for rest of season but playoffs should we make it.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Today we have a starter going with more career wins than Wainwright and is 4-1 with STL. And was an 18 game winning all star as recently as 2018. He delivered quality starts, 6-7 innings, his last 3 times out. Maybe he’s taking extra vitamins or handfuls of little blue pills. I like our chances. If his resurgence continues it will come in handy when we are schooling the left coast teams next month.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This is likely the most incredible turn-around of any Cardinal team in history. How can a team that could not score runs, was lethargic and boring to watch for 3/4 of the season suddenly become a juggernaut?

The only answer I can come up with is it took this long for these guys to hone their skills. Goldy is an almost perfect re-incarnation of 1964 Bill White. I think they had almost the exact number of RBI at the All-Star break, 30-32, somewhere in there. White finished with 102 in ‘64, and Goldy may match that.

Tyler O’Neill, a guy I have lobbied for the last couple of years, is showing what he can do. I have always loved his combination of elite power and speed, and that raw ability is a guy you just need to play and see what you got. Glad they stuck with him through the early times of poor contact, and let him get in the work that only playing day after day can provide.

Harrison Bader, another guy who is gaining confidence and showing the ability he was thought to have as a minor leaguer. Man, you think of the talent this organization has given up, and see what they are doing now, and it amazes me how well the club has done in scouting prep players.

We all doubted this organization’s ability to put together a winning team, but patience and a lack of panic has proven the correct approach. They acted like contenders at the trade deadline, bringing in pitching to help a depleted staff. That has proven to be the right direction.

Right now, the NL playoffs should really be a tournament between the Cardinals, Brewers, Giants and Dodgers. The eventual NL East winner is only a token. Unfortunately this is how it’s done. But then we were to token team in 2006, and did a post season about-face similar to what this 2021 team is doing now, and won it all. So who knows.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Well, the Brewers will win the division. I think the selective dumpster diving was both insightful and extremely lucky.

If they lose the WC game in either SF or LA this run will have been nice but what does it really mean for next season? How much of this mojo will actually bleed over?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I recall the 2006 83 win division champions cratering at the end of the season with not one but two eight game losing streaks.

They then got red hot in the playoffs and just rolled to the title.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ZTR, it might be more than MOJO. The hitters seem more interested in situational adjustment and putting it in play, and the pitchers got away from the prolific walks and HBPs. Maybe there was an attitude adjustment within the organization. I noticed that Justin Williams in Memphis has a drastically reduced K rate this month, so maybe there is something behind the scenes in the philosophy and approach area.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I agree with Bike Mike. All year I kept looking at this lineup on paper (setting aside opinions about the batting order) and saying to myself this team should have a good, if not terrific offense, and time after time they failed to produce. Spotty. Weak. Unconfident. Some, certainly, needed steady playing time in order to grow. But others had long ago proved their worth. What was the underlying problem? What was preventing these guys from coalescing and living up to their potential? Some of us dumped on Mo. Some of us said it was Albert. Others thought Maddux. And as the season wore on, Shildt was looked at with growing disdain. Just think if these guys had started playing like this at the all-star break, we wouldn’t be talking about wild cards we’d be talking pennants. The guys many have complained about and derided did not suddenly become geniuses this last couple of weeks. Just who are we going to blame for this wonderful end-of-season 14-game streak?

I say it’s the work of Pugs, Rat and the mighty din-din crew!

Rah Cardinals!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with Bike Mike. All year I kept looking at this lineup on paper (setting aside opinions about the batting order) and saying to myself this team should have a good, if not terrific offense, and time after time they failed to produce.

Yeah, I really thought the offense would be pretty solid too. It seems like a few guys getting hot helped carry the rest of them at the right time. I still think the lineup needs another bat or two to be a really good one (Gorman is probably one of those two bats) but you have to like the way the team plays defense and the pitchers are playing to that strength.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t discount Cardinal In France’s last sentence. The power of eating quality din-dins are paramount to achieving maximum performance. Din-din on my dinner docket tonight will be Red Snapper over a bed of extremely wild rice. The wifey has yet to divulge it’s accompaniments, but you can bet that I’ll finishing matters off with 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies. My predictions on last night’s game was 2/3’s correct, as I nailed the Cardinal win and the call of Lars Nootbaar going deep. But I missed on the prediction of Tommy E. sending one above the ivy. It should also be noted that extra credit should be sent my way thanks to Mr. Nootbaar’s second round tripper of the evening. And the esteemed BicycleMike hit on 50% of his prediction, calling for Paulie DeJong to jack not one, but two taters. As we know, he cranked just one over the wall.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

My guess is though that we may have peaked to soon. Cant imagine this momentum continuing for 8 more games.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Well CIF I’d say its Pugs steady leveled optimism.Rats keen eye for pitching talent esp his favorite “Reyes” As far as Schidt goes his pitching changes are at times bewildering to me. BUT I do not have the expertise they have.One of the Gator football coaches said ” you call in a play and if it works you’re a genius, and if it doesnt you’re an idiot”. Sometimes your’re the windshield sometimes you’re the bug. Gotta remember the year we lost out in post season play to the baby sharks Nationals.Just a few years ago.That team was hot too. Just couldn’t beat em.So I say ride this horse as far as it takes us! Look out Nelly we’re coming through- YEE-HAWWW…!!!

14NyquisT
    Participant

I posted this on another topic page but maybe it’s apropos to put it here.

VEB had a good piece about the Edman 6-24-21 thoughts regarding his critique of the team’s performance.

FILED UNDER:
    CARDINALS ANALYSIS
    “Four Critical Failures” Revisited: Have the Adjustments Worked?

PRE-EDMAN —- POST-EDMAN
    Win% .480 —– .595
    wRC+ 84—— 106
    wOBA .291—– .326
    BA .225—– .257
    OBP .298—– .325
    SLUG% .373—- .432
    BB% 8.2—– 7.9
    K% 22.7—- 21.9
    fWAR 5.4—– 14.9

Apparently things have improved.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The same thought crossed my mind too, Carioca. But this streak smells much different than your normal garden variety long win streak. I believe both the personalities and the talents of the team’s recent additions was the perfect blend to bring out the best in the team as one collective unit hitting on all cylinders. Great work by Cardinal management in bringing this to fruition, but there has to be a little luck involved as well. I wouldn’t mind seeing us lose a couple games next week as some players get a bit of rest. Obviously, this is one extremely confident team…..one that will not let a loss or two derail their lofty aspirations.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You’ve got it all wrong Carioca. We just have to maintain momentum today. We can talk about tomorrow when its today.

I can’t take another day of dumpster diving in my fridge or I’ll be down to pickle relish and a jar of bacon grease. Off to the store for a slab of beef to throw on the grill. Grass fed organic free range beef that was sung to by cowboys.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Oh, I almost forgot, in an hour or so wifey and I will be sitting down to a filet of salmon baked in a pastry and covered with a sauce of cream, tarragon mustard, and chopped shallots, accompanied by peas and a simple salad. Dessert will probably be a little chocolate ice cream.

Rah Cardinals

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the key has been the pitching has stabilized. Lester, Happ, and LeBlanc really helped the rotation allowing Oviedo and Woodford a chance to take a step back. McFarland and Garcia have totally revitalized the bullpen allowing us to put Reyes in a less pressurized situation.

Of course Goldy is playing like a MVP candidate. He, Arenado, and O’Neill are now this years MV3, hearkening back to the Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds days. Sosa has been a huge boost as well.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A lot of emotions for Jon Lester today going against his former mates. I see no reason the Cards can’t keep the fun going though.

I don’t think the Dodgers will overtake the Giants, therefore the wild card game will be Scherzer vs. Wainwright. It could be an instant classic.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    7. Lars Nootbaar (L) RF
    8. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    9. Jon Lester (L) P

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That lineup can lay some thumpage on the Chubs.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far it’s not laying much thumpage, their pitching has been good. I think this run has been possible due to the front office realizing how good our defense is and realizing we were walking and hitting too many batters. They went out and got guys not highly coveted but knew how to throw strikes and pitch smart. I felt our offense was always on the cusp. Schildt finally putting Sosa in there full time just sealed the deal. If arenado was really hitting on all cylinders this team would be really scary.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far Lester really pitching horribly in the second. Too much stuff right down the middle. We might have to really start bringing out the bats if it’s going to hit 15 in a row.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I meant the third inning.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

O’Neill pastes another one!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years