2021 Cardinals MLB Game 132 thread – Sunday, September 5 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 132 thread – Sunday, September 5 at Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt probably asked too much of Gallegos. May have been better to start the inning with Reyes and a three run lead.

rzrdoc
    Participant

Free

This does not happen if they bring Garcia in for a 2nd inning, then go to Gallegos in the 9th. I am beyond done with Cabrera and Reyes. If Reyes needs to be a starter, okay, do it. Just do not bring him in again in the 9th, and send Cabrera to Memphis. At this point, I don’t care who they bring up.

Mo had multiple chances to draft the best reliever in the college ranks this year, but didn’t – won every award possible, from pitcher of the year in the SEC to Dick Hauser award to Golden Spikes award. Where did he wind up? San Diego. Stop trying to get guys who throw gasoline and get people who know how to pitch and can hit the strike zone.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

3 backbreaking losses in the last week or so. It’s hard to even look at the scores anymore. Just not the year for this team.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I still love them, but this team simply doesn’t deserve to be in the post season.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Lester learns what this bullpen can do to great start.

David
    Participant

Free

Why was Lester taken out? Because he gave up a hit? He’s a veteran pitcher and is more than capable of pitching around a 1 out single. If Shildt is fired and it’s because we don’t make the playoffs by 1 game… I’m going to send Reyes a Thank you card.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

When are they gonna get rid of Shlidt Head? He has shown he can’t manage at this level.

David
    Participant

Free

I echo that Cardinal in France.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

If Shildt is fired and it’s because we don’t make the playoffs by 1 game… I’m going to send Reyes a Thank you card.

Reyes so solid for the first 2/3 of the season. Now he just needs innings in the middle of the game with no pressure to get his mojo back. He is awful right now.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah colhusker everybody already know Reyes lost the closer mojo some while ago. A competent manager wouldn’t repeatedly put a still useful piece in a position to fail again and again. The manager has to put players in a position where they can likely succeed and has to give his team the best possible chance to win. Sending Reyes in did neither of those things. Its sad and maddening to see what the franchise has become these days from the dysfunctional MLB unit right down through a truly dreadful minor league system. And from what we can see at least, ownership is fine with it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cabrera really got the ball rolling by not doing his job. That forced Gallegos to try to get five outs, which wasn’t realistic, which then brought Reyes into the ninth, which should never happen again.

Following this team really isn’t good for a person’s health, either physical or mental.

bccran
    Participant

Truly sickening.

wade
    Participant

Free

Mike Shannon is right. This team is just not very good. Win six on the road the come back to struggle at home against weak teams. Then lose games late. It’s difficult to watch a game for 3 hours just to see defeat grabbed out of the jaws of defeat. If the double play is a pitcher’s best friend then late inning walks is his worst enemy.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals fans are thoroughly domesticated, but everyone has a limit. I wonder if we will start to see a bit of frustration this week if the team self combusts against the Dodgers. I’d hate to see Shildt or any of the players get booed at home. Players especially.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Gallegos is credited with another hold and Reyes a blown save. Sounds about right.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think having to bring in gallegos to pick up Cabrera was the big mess up. It didn’t help gallegos couldn’t throw a strike with a fastball. I just think giving some of these other guys that aren’t your big three some chances in the 8 and 9 can’t hurt anything. Anybody outside Dickson could be used. Use gallegos and Cabrera in less stressful situations. That was just a hard thing to watch but I could see it coming.

Paul7
    Participant

Free

What a dumpster fire the Cardinals are, they only have six more wins than the AAA, under construction Cubs.

rzrdoc
    Participant

Free

I can go for that. But no more this season as a closer.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who said Cabby’s going to be our closer next year? Fess up!

I’m pretty certain that was the same poster who predicted Joc Pederson was going to be this year’s NL MVP….(cough cough anyone seen RatsBuddy around), Wooster. I thank myself for one thing today……leaving the game after the 8th inning. Unless it’s a total rout, I hardly ever exit the ballgame early. What has happened to our Big 3? Cabby, Gally and Reyes have been almost automatic until these past couple weeks. How strange is it that all 3 have almost simultaneously melted down. What are the odds? Something very peculiar is going in with those 3. Hope we find out one day.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

On July 20 at another website someone wrote the following:

“Helsey threw a 1-2-3 7th inning on 13 pitches. So Shildt pulled him.
    Then Miller threw a 1-2-3 8th inning on 13 pitches. So Shildt pulled him too.”

“This is Shildt’s 4th season as a manager and he has learned nothing. Shildt does this all the time. He’ll remove relievers who are highly effective on that night, and not-at-all physically taxed, and switch and switch until he eventually finds the guy who can’t get people out. He has no instincts. And with the roster composition this year, that’s killing the bullpen effectiveness overall.”

—————————

And on August 27th I wrote this, about Shildt’s bullpen usage:

“Perhaps he shouldn’t have removed McFarland after throwing TWO pitches.
    There’s no way of knowing what woulda happened if he’d been allowed to remain in the game, of course. But removing McFarland for a pinch-hitter with a 4-run lead and two outs and a runner on 1st base, after throwing a grand total of two pitches…well, it creates the appearance that Mike Shildt was merely seeking any opportunity to get Matt Carpenter’s pinch-bat into the game.”

————————————

Hmmm. That’s sounds an AWFUL LOT like today’s game, yes? McFarland throws two pitches, then despite a 4-run lead he’s removed so Matt Carpenter can get his chance to pinch-hit.

Today Shildt merely repeated the same exact error in judgement that he has indulged in for months. Change & change & change pitchers, regardless of effectiveness, regardless of their pitch counts, until eventually you find one who simply cannot get people out today.

There was no reason to pull McFarland. There was no reason to pull Garcia. But pulled they were, because their manager is a dolt with no instincts for who’s hot and who’s not. A competent manager must possess some ability to observe and adjust.

————————-

Against the Pirates several days ago the Birds lost a game despite going to the 9th with a 3-1 lead. Reyes walked two then coughed up a game-losing homer to a journeyman nobody. And I do NOT blame Shildt one iota for that loss. Most losses are NOT directly the fault of the manager. A pair of full-count walks, and a homer. Boom, game over. It just goes bad sometimes.

But today, all Shildt, 100%. Same with the recent blown 7-1 lead against the Pirates that turned into defeat — six straight hits allowed by Cabrera = incompetent managing. And the same with a blown 5-0, 9th-inning against the Cubs, when Shildt left Alex Reyes in to hit his first batter then walk the next four. It’s actually quite rare to be able to point to three games in one year and say, yes, the manager truly blew it. Truly turned a victory into defeat.

Shildt’s done plenty of things wrong during his tenure, but he’s never bungled pitching moves so badly, to directly cost the team games. I’m sure over 6+ seasons Matheny did it once or twice. LaRussa certainly lost the 20-inning game against the Mets, via mismanagement. But this year, Shildt? A disgrace to the Cardinal uniform.

Free Stubby Clapp.

rzrdoc
    Participant

Free

I have been a Cardinal fan for 60+ years. Nothing is going to change that. I’ve been with them in good times and bad. Apparently, Shildt does a great job in the clubhouse, and they all like playing for him. That’s important. He has to become less stubborn in his blind devotion to certain relievers.

I give Mo credit for bringing Yadi & Waino back this year and for getting Goldy & Nolan. He needs to vastly improve his assessment of young pitching.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I left after they got out of the 8th inning jam. I went down to French Lick to hit golf balls on the driving range. And now I just got home and found out about this.

It should be intuitively obvious even to the most casual observer that at this point Alex Reyes cannot even appear in a game. Unless it’s an 8-1 lead. And even then I would keep my fingers crossed.

Sayonara on the 2021 season. Too many wasted, golden opportunities.

Funny thing is we are only, what, 2.5 games out?

r/Esteemed Rat

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Well, not much to say about this one…. Schildt is on a bad run though.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t give up on our boys just yet Steve60 & Rat. You rarely want to start your hot streak too early at this juncture…..only to fall just short at the end. With where we are positioned in this contentious WC race, our optimum hot streak commencement time would be this Friday.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Bob Reed hit a key point on Shidlt’s weakness, and that is he has no instincts. He is too much of a “programmed” manager, where certain innings mean certain pitchers pitch, with no sense of who is going well and who is struggling.

He shows the same lack of instinct, or intuition with his batting orders. He has a guy that gets on base twice a game, and he always hits seventh. The reason, he is a rookie. Shildt is programmed that rookies need to earn their place.

I hope the Rockies part ways with Bud Black, and he would come in here and we would be 3 -4 games better simply based on how he uses his players. You look at that Rockies team this year and wonder how they can be only 10 games under .500. Some of that is you have a manager that gets the most from his roster.

Our club could use that.

Oh, I missed the game yesterday, than goodness, as I have been in my home town over the weekend for my high school reunion. Man, it was great seeing all those people again. We are old now, but still have it going on – drinking keg beer, and catching up on life. Great time!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years