2021 Cardinals MLB Game 123 thread – Thursday, August 26 at Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 123 thread – Thursday, August 26 at Pirates

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry last couple years.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All Cabrera did was pitch away. Is he afraid of hitting someone else in the head?

Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

So I’ve had one eye on the game and my other eye on my Telegram app.

What did Miller do???? Did he start this downward spiral????

I know that Cabrera allowed what….. 6 runs?????

What is wrong with this Bullpen????

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

This inning officially shuts down Flaherty for 2021. What a season!

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

Hot stove starts in august for us- what a letdown of a year

Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

I only see us scoring maybe two more runs to finish this out. SAD….. so SAD!!!!!

Or maybe no more runs

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cabby got creamed. We need a closer for ’22. Call me cRaZy, but I’m still bullish on our Birds. Let’s come right back and pelt these guys with 8 runs of our own.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

you’re cRaZy

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pirates are 35 games under .500

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Bout to be only 34.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

These Pirates are players…..against us. We’ll kick em in the teeth tomorrow!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

At what point do the players become convinced that Shildt is in over his head?

And at what point does DeWitt become convinced that shuffling a few coaches around isn’t the answer to his problems this go around and he needs to shuffle away some of his higher paid office help?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

80% of the pitching rotation was injured for most of the season and that killed the bullpen.

They must fix the starting rotation, find a closer, find a leadoff hitter, find a 2nd baseman, find a 4th outfielder, and a new S & C coach and they’d be set.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

I don’t usually question the manager but two things in this game make me wonder. One is every time I see Sosa I like him and hope he starts playing everyday and then Schilt benched him and puts in DeOut! Why! It just makes no sense! 2nd I was so relieved (no pun intended) when Miller pitched a clean inning! I think most managers would have said great, we got something positive out of him now let’s get him the hell outta there, but instead we put him back out there for the next inning and that starts our downfall! That was just terrible managing IMO!

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“80% of the pitching rotation was injured for most of the season and that killed the bullpen.”

——————–

Partly that, yes.
    But Shildt chose, again and again, to run Cabrera, Gallegos, and Reyes into the ground. There were numerous games throughout the season when he could have given an inning here or there to someone else and he repeatedly elected not to. (At one point a week or so back, there were 4 National League bullpen arms with 50+ appearances and 50+ innings, and the Cards had 3 of the 4.)

Again and again, Shildt pulled other effective relievers from the game despite low (sometimes very low) pitch counts, only to watch the next reliever implode and set up a dangerous situation that need never have happened if Shildt had just left well enough alone. Heck, just tonight he pulled McFarland after TWO pitches. So Matt Carpenter could pinch-hit with a 4-run lead and two outs and a man on first. Not exactly a high priority pinch-hitting spot.

Shildt hasn’t had his full complement of pitchers. But the ones he has had, he has mismanaged badly, all season long. Take John Gant. When Gant was removed from the rotation, did he become a valuable long man/swing man type, throwing 40-50, even 60 or 70 pitches a couple times a week as needed? Nope. Instead of leveraging Gant’s durability and skill (career ERA as a Redbird around 3.50), Shildt inexplicably made him a one-inning garbage time mopup guy.

Simply put, Shildt honestly does not seem to know which of his hitters and pitchers are the best ones. He simply cannot accurately gauge the talent of even veteran major leaguers, which is an astonishing thing to say about an MLB manager.

Eight runs scored while Genesis Cabrera was on the mound tonight. It was almost as if Mike Shildt was asking to be fired, and I say the Cardinal front office should oblige him. Stubby Clapp won multiple AAA championships very recently, and unlike Shildt he actually played professional baseball.

Free Stubby Clapp.

GACard
    Participant

Free

This team is not good. It’s something different every night. Usually bullpen or offense. Sometimes starting pitching. It’s quite the puzzle, but I’m definitely not gonna make time for the games the rest of the season, but I usually don’t go out of my way too bad. So I’ll probably be watching still hahaha

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of Gant, Minnesota had been using him in middle relief, kind of a 7th inning guy, with excellent results. His last two appearances have been starts and he got lit up both times. Still, for them he has 20 Ks against 6 BBs. For us he had 56Ks and 56 BBs.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Interesting account there on Gant Bling. Sounds like Twins figured out quick how to use him. Got to agree with Bob Reeds assessment on the use of Cabrera, Galleagos and Reyes. These the only three guys we got?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For a good while those three were the only relievers who could get anybody out. The only criticism ever herd at the time was when Shildt brought in somebody else who then got lit. I don’t remember any of them getting used too many days in a row or anything. 8th-9th inning guys have to be able to get out there regularly, so I don’t fault Shildt on that. I think its just that opponents got a good look at them and know what to expect. I also think they were pressured to throw more strikes so they have been walking less and getting hit more. They just aren’t as good as we thought.

bccran
    Participant

Every time it looks like a hole in the dam is plugged, a new hole springs open.
    We scored plenty of runs to win last night, and then Cabrera implodes. Tonight the pitching may be fine, but the offense may be sound asleep again. Weird year.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

In discussing Shildt, the problem he has in my opinion is not assessing who is going well, and who is not. His lineup construction is poor as well. But mainly, he does not go with the upward trending players and does not put them in the best place when he does play them.

And as Bob points out, he is not the best at using his bullpen. He pulls Cabrera at times when his pitch count is low and he is dominant, then leaves him in last night when he is getting tattooed.

Last night was weird though. His pitches were not that bad, although he was up in the zone too much. But the Bucs were really squaring them up.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Mike….good points. Bigger problem is his lineup/roster is so flawed whatever he runs out there is not going to produce. It is awful.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt is no HOF manager by any stretch but I still blame the front office for most of this mess. They did not give him an adequate enough roster to win the division. Some of Mo’s dumpster dives like Garcia, McFarland, LeBlanc, and Happ have actually been quite good but it was too little too late. We should have gotten them in April or May instead of July. And we need another bat or two to lengthen this lineup.

I still maintain that this organization always saw this year as a lost cause because of our bad contracts and low revenues. They figured that by stealing Arenado and if every pitcher stayed healthy we still might be good enough to win the division. Of course it didn’t happen that way.

The difference between Shildt and say Tony or Whitey is that Shildt won’t stand up to the front office and insist on more players where as the other two would. (Of course Whitey was both manager and GM for awhile). I think it is by design that the front office has a company man in the dugout. Would Clapp be any different?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

In discussing Shildt, the problem he has in my opinion is not assessing who is going well, and who is not. His lineup construction is poor as well. But mainly, he does not go with the upward trending players and does not put them in the best place when he does play them.

And as Bob points out, he is not the best at using his bullpen. He pulls Cabrera at times when his pitch count is low and he is dominant, then leaves him in last night when he is getting tattooed.

Last night was weird though. His pitches were not that bad, although he was up in the zone too much. But the Bucs were really squaring them up.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Shildt just isn’t a good manager and he keeps proving it every game…this team won’t go anywhere next year with this clown as managaer!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years