2021 Cardinals MLB Game 100 thread – Sunday, July 25 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 100 thread – Sunday, July 25 at Reds

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not everyone chooses to live in 2021.

Bashing something you don’t understand (xyz metrics) is just another uninformed opinion.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IIRC, Mo said they had gotten off track with the Analytics.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

That is correct bling. A couple years ago, Mo wanted to modernize/overhaul the analytics department and maybe double its size. There were bigger goals than just analytics, encompassing the broader domain of performance (things like development, training, rehab, staying healthy, etc.). I think this included things like a pitching lab. Mo wanted to find the next big thing in baseball (something along the lines of tech/analytics) and lead the Cards there first.

At least that was some of the talk after Mo moved to POBO.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well in that case they need to drop the pitching lab over the side. Or sell it to the Brewers cheap.

bccran
    Participant

Some folks who have been valuing talent for many years feel comfortable with less in-depth and sophisticated statistics.
    Advanced metrics are fine, but they’re not for everybody.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Goldstein/Szymborski et al: I don’t blame analytics for anything. I say those who need it, use it, live by it, should have at it if that’s what floats your boat. I simply don’t need it to enjoy the beauty of the game or to enhance my appreciation of the skills it requires. For me, wrapping everything in an excess of statistics detracts from the aesthetics of the thing, the sheer joy of baseball. I’m satisfied with the basic statistics and those posts that make my eyes glaze over with numbers I merely pass over. You can say those like me have chosen not to live in 2021 and have uninformed opinions, well so be it.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any tool can be useful and can also be misused. Just because you have the tool doesn’t mean you have the skill to use it to good effect.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years