2021 Cardinals MLB Game 100 thread – Sunday, July 25 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 100 thread – Sunday, July 25 at Reds

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Life’s not fair, but 6 walks and 5 hits in 4 1/3 innings doesn’t deserve a win.

Why did Helsley throw just 6 pitches?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Walks and HBP – sound familiar?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

You can just sense we’re on the verge of another bullpen comedy hour.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Are runs given up supposed to equal hit by pitch divided by walks?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Are you sure they’re not making a movie here?

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Hit the mascot…

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep, it might be more fitting for the widescreen. Fortunately, Gallegos lost his sense of humor after loading the bases with no outs and retired the next three without yielding a run.

These umps are awful.

And Arenado just hit another HR.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This group of umpires is the worst group of umpires I have ever seen and that goes down to like little league and pony ball along with high school. Hard to know what to swing at when everything is all over the place. We may need more runs so a hit, a walk, hit batter all will do

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Horrible pitching but still get the win. Reds had too many chances. Great offense but funny how again arenado hits good but goldy zeroes out. Outfielders did well, bader still hitting great and playing great defense. Our pitching needs to turn it around though. I still don’t like schildt management of our staff but our staff is just weak as far as length of starts and middle relief. Our end relief has issues but a lot of that is because of other factors.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Saw 2 bad calls by umps today in the field. At least one on strike zone. Not surprising Schildt got ejected. Got a day off tomorrow. Got lots of runs today and Reyes finished up strong. Hes a good example for the rest of the pen. Most of the pen seems to have sufficient experience.Maybe its just a matter of perfecting their skills on-the-job this year?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo will never be confused with Early Wynn. Only 301 wins to go for Ovi to overtake Early in the win department. Maybe that’s it. To get Johan Oviedo going, maybe he simply needs to tweak his name to associate himself with the thrill of victory like Early Wynn’s(Win) name did for Early. Maybe changing his middle name to something like “Winsome” or “Victorious”? Johan Winsome Oviedo……I kind of like that.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

How about Winsalot instead of Winsome Pugs?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Beautiful Wooster!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The homeplate ump, Chad Fairchild, was really bad in this one. Pitches 3-5 inches off of the plate were being called strikes. I’m surprised somebody, from either team, didnt get tossed. Me and Whitey Herdog were yelling at the TV as a result. And one thing’s for certain – when Whitey Herdog yells, she yells!

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s hard to imagine giving up 9 walks, 2 wild pitches and a HBP and still winning. I am glad we won but am also glad I didn’t see it.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know it’s not humorous right now, Bling, but trust me………..one day we’ll look back at the trials and tribulations and the antics of this staff, and have a hardy chuckle.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

After 100 games:

Bader – .289
    O’Neill – .274
    Goldschmidt – .270
    Arenado – .261
    Edman – .256
    Carlson – .253
    Molina – .250
    Sosa – .247
    DeJong – .203
    Knizner – .196
    Carpenter – .188
    Williams – .160

That’s all the Cardinals with at least 100 plate appearances.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Worth noting O’Neill and Vader have ops’s 100+ points higher than arozarena and 60+ points higher than adolis Garcia

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

forsch31, thanks for posting those batting averages. About time to see a stat that actually has some true value, meaning, and gives an accurate picture. I really dont care what their WIR, BAGIT, OZP, DRV, and all of that other analytical stuff, means.

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Rat, please keep up. Nobody uses WIR, BAGIT, OZP, or DRV anymore. Those stats are so several years ago. Mo and the boys now go with WIR+, BAGIT+, OZP+, DRV+, etc.+, to normalize the stats across the league and eliminate distortion caused by external factors, such as adjusting for ball park differences.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Does anybody actually read that Zack Silver guy, the MLB Cardinals writer?

The Birds have one good day (or half a good day, actually), and he raves about “the club’s winning ways,” and how they now have got it all “figured out,” and the way the outfield is “passing with flying colors,” and how Mo’s plans “are now thriving.” I mean, I know this guy is nothing but a paid cheerleader but somebody needs to remind him that this is a .500 ball club, not a pennant contender. He’s overdosed on Carpenter’s passed-the-sell-by-date salsa. Somebody fix him a reality milkshake, quick.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our hitters are way better at kicking somebody who is down than going toe to toe. Pad the stats, high fives in the dugout. Mo’s computer and the media barker show them some love.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Rats, the other stats that posters use ALSO have “true value”. Unfortunately, those other stats you listed have no value unless you can tell me what they are. I don’t recall seeing them anywhere.

It is worth noting that our much maligned regular OFs are 3 of the top 6. The top 2 are the most maligned and should have been replaced by many posters.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

About time to see a stat that actually has some true value, meaning, and gives an accurate picture.

Yes!!! Because we all know singles are infinitely more valuable than walks, even though they both result in a player on first base with no out recorded.

We also know that singles are just as valuable as homeruns, even though homeruns result in the player scoring.

You win by hits!!! Not runs scored!!!

bccran
    Participant

BA is a meaningful stat when taken with other stats. Our present pitching staff not withstanding, how many times do you see a walk drive in a run?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years