2021 Bullpen

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Bullpen

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

As 25 said, trading one or two from a group of Gant, Ponce, Woodford, Roberts, Rondon, Fernandez, Whitley, Helsley, Elledge, Locey, Pallante, etc. for a good outfield bat isn’t going to destroy your depth. Classify Flaherty, Hudson, Reyes, Libby, Cabrera, Oviedo, and Thompson as untouchables.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is going to take more than two of the backend pitchers on the roster to acquire a “good outfield bat”. You get in return what you give up.

Fans (not you specifically) often think that other teams will jump on giving up one of their good players for multiple less-promising ones from the team they follow. Fans almost always overvalue their own team’s prospects. If only it was that easy to trade…

Other teams have their similar list of untouchables that include precisely the “good outfield bat” you want. Otherwise, if he wasn’t highly valued by his current team, you wouldn’t want him…

Participant

Paid - Annual

If Brebbia was not ready until, say, August 1rst, then the Cardinals would have been paying him for 4 months that he wasn’t producing anything

That is assuming the season starts on April 1. Fat chance that happens.

Participant

Free

Well, Brian, the Cardinals brought in perennial All Star Paul Goldschmidt for Luke Weaver, Carson Kelly, and Andy Young.
    Weaver wasn’t considered a top of the order pitcher by any means, and he was coming off a season of 7-11, with a 4.95 ERA and 1.495 WHIP. Some thought Kelly could become a good MLB catcher. Some didn’t. In his short time in 3 seasons with the Cards he had OPS stats of .445, .457, and .319.

So I guess none of us know what kind of trade Mo may be able to pull off this off season.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not hardly. Weaver (ex-first-rounder) and Kelly (ex-second-rounder) were both consensus national top 100 prospects.

For reference, the Cardinals’ only current national top 100 prospects are “untouchables” Carlson, Liberatore and Gorman.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The simulator had the trade AT THAT TIME as 52.6mil value for 52.8mil. That’s a pretty impressive demonstration of a equal value trade. Values also include the Comp B pick STL sent, and Goldschmidts’ future Q-offer pick, as a FA-to-be.

Participant

Free

Cards have had a number of high picks that didn’t work out.
    And being in the Top 100 is great, but guys who have been in the Top 100 sometimes don’t work out either. We have one on our team. He’s had over 1,000 MLB plate appearances now, and his MLB line is .234/.322/.399/.721. Ugh.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of course, many top picks don’t pan out later, but that isn’t the point, is it?

The point is the need to give up players perceived to be of high value AT THE TIME of the trade.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

P.S. Another off-target swipe on your part. Bader was never a consensus top 100 prospect. Though he was no. 100 – in his draft. I think some expect first-round results from a late-third rounder. Only 11 players from that round have even had a cup of coffee in MLB – and one of them is another Cardinal – Jordan Hicks. The only other name-brand player from that round is Brandon Lowe from Tampa Bay…

Participant

Free

I’m so sorry. I just go to the mlb.com site and check for Top 100 prospects. In 2016, Bader was #83. In 2017 he was #90.
    I guess in your View that’s not “consensus”. Again, my apologies. Must be “another off-target swipe” on my part. Gee, this is a fun place to be.

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years