2020 playoff seedings

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 playoff seedings

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are a lot of games still left. But there are some near certainties.

The 8 American League teams appear set. Only seedings remain.

The National League has 2 slots locked. The Dodgers will be the 1 seed, and the Padres will be the 4 seed in all likelihood. Which makes being the 5 or 8 seeds more difficult, since you will draw those teams as opponents.

Obviously the Cards need to make the playoffs first. The Cards at least control their own destiny by playing the Brewers. A win tomorrow against the Royals coupled with winning the Brewers series should get them in the playoffs. Anything less is dicey. Also the other playoff contenders don’t have easy opponents either. The Reds play the Twins, the Phils play the Rays, the Marlins take on the Yankees, the Giants play the Padres. Even the Central is not clinched, The Cubs play their crosstown rivals. But the Cubs do play the Pirates tomorrow, and a win there makes it unlikely anyone else wins the division.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, the Cubs seem locked in at #3. I think that the Giants will slip past the Marlins. The Phils really will pay the price for the double-header loss to WAS.

I’m going with #5-Cards #6-CIN #-7 MIL #8 SFG. If so, the Cards will play the Padres.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

As long as we dont play the Cubs. I dont want to lose in the playoffs to the Cubs – AGAIN!

Anybody but the Cubs. They’d be so fired up to beat us in the playoffs it would be a lock.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

2020 season record (all games at Wrigley): Cardinals 5, Cubs 5
    2019 season record: Cardinals 10, Cubs 9
    2018 season record: Cardinals 10, Cubs 9

I would look forward to eliminating them.

P.S. Other than way back in 2015, when did the Cubs eliminate the Cardinals in the playoffs? The managers, coaches and most of the players are different today.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Should the Cubs and the Cards meet in these playoffs would you like to make a wager on the outcome?

I dont care what those stats tell me. Its like somebody telling me that Tyler Greene had a 2.35 HWIF and a 1.06 FBIP and a ZPS of 723 so he’s a great player. He wasnt worth a hoot.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Uh, those are just game results when the two teams played each other. They do play the games to win or lose, the most basic stat of all. But hey, be afraid of the Cubs as you choose, but you provided no reason others should agree with you – apparently other than it happened before once five years ago. Only you know what Tyler Greene has to do with any of this.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At this point, I’m not sure what the team would have left for the playoffs. However, I can say that I’d rather play the Cubs or Braves than the Padres or Dodgers. So from that standpoint, the 6 or 7 seeds are preferable to 5 or 8. It would be nice to get back to playing only one game every day though. I will say that the new schedule should balance more toward the teams that were best in the regular season, as no off days will test the depth of a rotation and bullpen. The Cards were in good shape there a couple of weeks ago…now, not so much.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would much rather play the Cubs than the Padres. The Padres are stacked.

The Cubs are actually much like the Cardinals. Their offense is stinking and they are getting by with good pitching. Who would have thunk it?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there the possibility STL goes to DET, wins game 1, and game 2 is not necessary?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes. Though the other day, Mo said he didn’t know if they would be required to play Game 2. Logic would say they shouldn’t have to if the game has no impact. Given there are six teams still bunched up for four spots, it is still too soon to tell how it will play out. Should be a fun weekend of scoreboard watching. Folks need to become Twins fans.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there the possibility STL goes to DET, wins game 1, and game 2 is not necessary?

I’m sure there are a few. One I can think of off the top of my head…the Cards finish 29-29, the Reds 30-30. If the Cards won game 1 they’d finish tied at worst with Cincy and own the tiebreaker.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m going to wait until after the Saturday games to figure the seedings out. Until then let’s win at least two of the next three.

Participant

Free

You’d definitely want to avoid the seeding scenario as it’s currently constructed. However anything is possibly in a 3 game opening round series or 5 gamer as we’ve seen before wierd stuff can happen in a short set. I do like the 6 seed as more of an opportunity to at least get to the nlcs.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hmmm…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A second NL playoff qualifier tonight. Well, actually first, since the Reds are still playing…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So those teams have 30 win…so does that mean the Cards need to win one over the weekend to clinch?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not necessarily. You have to take into account tiebreakers as well.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It looks to me like the Cards are 21-17 in the division after tonight’s win. The Phillies are 21-19, the Brewers 18-20 and the Giants 18-19. Two of those four will make the playoffs.

The best the Brewers can do is 30 wins, with the Cards eliminating their chance of losing the tiebreaker to the Brewers with one win over them this weekend (current season series is 4-4, Brewers could max out at 19 division wins). Also, the win would clinch the Cards finishing ahead of the Brew Crew.

The best the Phillies can do is 30 wins and the Cards would hold the tiebreaker with one win due to the division record.

The Giants can still win more games than the Cards, of course, but in the event of a tie the Cards would clinch a tiebreaker over the Giants with a win over Milwaukee in one of the two games this weekend.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by stlcard25stlcard25.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by stlcard25stlcard25.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Also, the Cards can still take second in the division if they keep winning and the Reds lose Sat/Sun. (They are ahead in the ninth tonight. That would be their win no. 30 with two to go.)

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey Brian, I was just reading your article on the scenarios and wasn’t clear on it but if the Reds finish 31-29 and the Cards are 30-28 after Sunday, do the Cards have to go to Detroit to play or would they award 2nd in the Central to one and the Wild Card to the other? I feel like I’d rather take the 7 seed than the 5 seed anyway and have the days off.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards don’t need the Rays to beat the Phils if they take one more against the Brewers. 25’s post above shows why — one more win against the Brewers clinches the Cards will finish ahead of them and own the tiebreaker against the Phils.

Cards also win the tiebreaker against the Reds should they end up even.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, here are the important words that govern Monday.

“The games will be played only if a postseason position is to be determined or home field for a Wild Card Round matchup.”

…where home field is a 1-4 seed…

So if all eight spots are clinched by Sunday and the Cardinals results on Monday could not put them or another team in the 1-4 seed, they would not have to play.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, what Euro says seems correct. Win one of the last two. Key is getting to 30 wins and holding tiebreaker over PHI. They stay ahead of MIL and it doesn’t matter what SF does.

(I deleted an earlier tweet from someone I didn’t know that I posted earlier – because it is inaccurate.)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems Morosi did not consider the tiebreaker (intradivision record).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years