2020 Minor League Season

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Minor League Season

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For whatever reason, we did not have a specific thread about the 2020 minor league season. It is overdue.

(This is not about salaries or contraction, as they have their own topics, but about the postponed season.)

The first post is to debunk a rumor.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If no fans are allowed in, I can’t see how MiLB would have any real incentive to play games..I guess maybe we will see, but it seems like a far longer shot than MLB play, even.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would say there is a very small chance the milb teams could play games in their home stadiums but hopefully there can be games on all of the back fields at each ST site. These players need to get some work in even if it is just simulated games or maybe a few games against other nearby milb teams. We don’t need our prospects sitting around doing nothing.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It may depend on local health regulations as to when 150-200 people are allowed to be in close proximity. 6 foot social distancing is not going to work for baseball players. So you are going to need rigorous testing for everyone.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Just about throwing in the towel on 2020 MiLB. This together with teams being eliminated casts a dark shadow over what was once a complete section of why I love this game. (“They could of been champions”). Someone up there hates me.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hockey’s minor league season being canceled creates similar roster questions for the NHL as MLB is facing.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not a surprise, but another voice speaking on the matter…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any idea how a taxi squad will work? Where will they be located?
    Will they play games against other taxi squads? Just trying to
    get a feel for what it would look like.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Great questions, Michael. Here are some others. At what rate will they be paid and will they get MLB service time only if active or all the time? Will the 40-man roster be increased to 50 for one year only?

The answer to every question is the same – we don’t yet know. Even if MLB has a proposal for all of this, it will have to be collectively bargained with the MLBPA. They had better get cracking if they hope to start spring training 2.0 in four weeks…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s too bad that there may be no minor league ball this summer, as I was looking forward my first year of retirement while watching baseball in most of their MILB cities.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The May 31 pay deadline is going to affect much of MLB’s personnel, including minor leaguers.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Has there been a final decision yet on a minor league season? Since the AA and A guys travel by bus and I know some of Springfield’s games are many miles away, it may be tough to get in a season. I have said it before and it bears repeating. This is a hell of a way to take heat off the Astros……LOL

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3 asked:

Has there been a final decision yet on a minor league season?

No, but the odds are very low it will be played.

I have said it before and it bears repeating. This is a hell of a way to take heat off the Astros.

Well, that is an MLB statement, not a minor league one. No one would have booed Astros minor leaguers. They had nothing to do with it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Peoria Chiefs look to be getting revenue wherever they can. They are selling Dylan Carlson bobbleheads for $35 each. Maybe they were bought for a giveaway night that is not going to be held…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB’s contraction plan couldn’t have been better timed, for their sake. Without a 2020 season it’s going to be tough for the minor league teams to build any public goodwill that might pressure MLB at all. It will be even more sad that some fan bases won’t be able to say goodbye to their squads. It’s life, but I don’t have to like it.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A-HA? Now I get it. This is not just a pandemic, it’s as they say a ‘plandemic’. It was conspired and executed by the Astros to take the heat off them because of their cheating scandal.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A-HA? Now I get it. This is not just a pandemic, it’s as they say a ‘plandemic’. It was conspired and executed by the Astros to take the heat off them because of their cheating scandal.

Not remotely. I’m just saying that it has worked out perfectly in MLB’s favor in this particular instance. No conspiracies here…just bad timing for MiLB owners and who are going to lose their teams.

I see now that you probably were responding to MM3. I doubt even Luhnow would be so heartless as to concoct a pandemic to cover his tracks.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would just as soon leave the Astros’ cheating scandal behind. Enough is enough. But I think when baseball finally does resume, there will still be those who won’t let it be over.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LOL Brian: “I guess the last one out will shut off the lights”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This could go on multiple threads. Getting rid of them now suggests no 2020 season. It also means they don’t have to pay them any more while there is no baseball. It also suggests they are planning to have fewer teams when play resumes in 2021. I understand all three even though they make me sad.

UncleDenny
    Participant

All organizations will probably be doing this. Still don’t see how they can get by without at least one club to Bridge the gap between GCL and Peoria.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Every organization will be in the same boat as far as number of teams and levels, but as I have written, many already have two GCL/Arizona League teams, giving them more flexibility.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.