2020 Cardinals Game #47 – Fri, Sept. 18 at Pirates (DH Game 1)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #47 – Fri, Sept. 18 at Pirates (DH Game 1)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

3:05 p.m.
    RHP Carlos Martinez (0-2, 10.32) vs. RHP Trevor Williams (1-7, 6.35)
    FS Midwest // MLB Network // KMOX

Participant

Free

Carlos may be pitching to save himself from being traded this winter. If he comes out with that zombie look, cash in your chips.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There are two camps on Martinez. The one presented above is that he needs to pitch well to keep his job. The other is that he needs to pitch well to restore his trade stock. Either way, he needs to pitch well to be of value.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It is a catch 22. If he is so bad why would another team want to trade for him? Then again if he gets a lot better why would the Cardinals want to trade him?

Participant

Free

I would trade him because you don’t know what you are going to get from him. Even if he shows Cy Young form, I believe he’s a head case. There are a lot of good young starters on the team plus capable veterans to fill the rotation. Use an asset to improve on offense.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would trade him because you don’t know what you are going to get from him. Even if he shows Cy Young form, I believe he’s a head case.

Why would another team want to trade for that kind of player profile?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why would another team want to trade for that kind of player profile?

Exactly. I think Carlos gets way too much criticism for non-baseball related reasons. His pitching has been very good, both as a starter and reliever, for 6 years now. He’s not perfect but he has been solid.

Now, if another team valued him as a #2/3 starter type asset, I wouldn’t be opposed to taking advantage and trading him. The White Sox once coveted Carlos openly. Would they be willing to trade for him now? I’d think any team sniffing around the Cards trying to get someone like Carlos would be hoping to get a bargain, and thus the Cards might end up keeping him.

Participant

Free

Somehow, “solid” is not an adjective I would apply to Martinez. “Scary” maybe.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Out of curiosity, is that based on his performance, or the way that you feel when he pitches?

Participant

Free

I hear too much of the “if he’s throwing good, why trade him” and “if he’s a head case, why would anyone want him”. If he is throwing like a #2 or #3 starter, he has value. Trade him. I’m not in the camp of wait for him to rebound. If we continue to wait and he doesn’t throw like an ace, we have wasted his spot in the rotation and he could have been used in a trade for an upgrade somewhere.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Marcell Ozuna is hitting .314 with 14 homeruns and 44 rbi’s.

What happened? Where was this in St. Louis?

Participant

Free

Boy do I agree with that. As a closer I cannot recall how many TVs I would have shot out if my gun was loaded. There are times when he looks like he is in dreamland with the eyes rolled back in his head. It takes Yadi the baby daddy to get him up and flying right. Now I will also admit that he has had games when he was good but I do not recall anytime I would say he was solid. For some reason it bothers me that he has all that Hot Stuff plastered on his pitching shoulder but since he as moved starter I haven’t seen that. I wish him well today.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Marcel is really kicking it in Atlanta this year – a 155 OPS+. Might be the better lineup they put out there than ours. They have 5 guys with an OPS+ of around 130, lead by Freddie Freeman with a whopping 188. We have two guys, Goldy at 149 and Miller at 140. Then Dex is close at 124, but he is not playing.

With all those studs in your lineup you have to pitch to somebody. Marcel might be benefiting some from seeing better pitches to hit.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 22 hours ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    • This reply was modified 5 days, 21 hours ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    Participant

Free

Out of curiosity, is that based on his performance, or the way that you feel when he pitches?

Both.

As Forrest Gump’s mom used to say: “Carlos is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.” One day flaming good, one day erratic as hell.

And as my hard-as-nails former boss used to say: “Yeah, but that was yesterday. What have you done for me today?”

Today: RHP Carlos Martinez (0-2, 10.32)

Participant

Paid - Annual

If he is throwing like a #2 or #3 starter, he has value. Trade him.

Well he isn’t throwing like a 2 or 3 starter right now and has very little time this year to prove otherwise. If he doesn’t have a couple of strong starts to finish the season he will will have little trade value this winter and all of this will be a moot point unless the Cardinals want to eat half of his salary for next year, which is unlikely.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

In my mind there are two guys that 2021 is a make-or-break season for. Carlos Martinez and Alex Reyes. If neither one produces in 2021, gets hurt, whatever, its time to cut bait and let them move on. Trade them, let them go, whatever.

We’ve gone long enough with these two guys and they have never lived up to expectations.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

STL Lineup

K Wong (L) 2B
    T Edman (S) RF
    P Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    B Miller (L) DH
    P DeJong (R) SS
    M Carpenter (L) 3B
    Y Molina (R) C
    T O’Neill (R) LF
    H Bader (R) CF

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Today’s roster moves: Carlson up, Schrock down, Ponce 29th man.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson… interesting. Maybe he’s figured something out or the pause gave him a chance to get his mind together. Either way, a fresh body can’t hurt.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope Carlson earns a starting job and is a fixture in the OF for years to come.
    We need some stability out there.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Article updated with this bad news.

Participant

Free

Ozuna was going to have a good year no matter what unless he was just injured. He followed the Donaldson route to getting paid. Land in ATL, crank in that launching pad and get a nice contract. He’s even been walking a ton as well and cranking on the road.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If it’s anything like it is here about 3 hours north of Pittsburgh at the game, tonight is gonna feel like October baseball. 55 degrees and breezy, with an expected low in the mid 30s tonight.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can CMart throw a strike?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years