2020 Cardinals Game #45 – Wed, Sept. 16 at Brewers (DH Game 2)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #45 – Wed, Sept. 16 at Brewers (DH Game 2)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo clearly was not fully ready to come back. He just about took Hiura’s head off.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, Luke Voit. There’s a guy the Cardinals missed on. You wonder what the coaches did not see in him.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Oviedo shows promise. He needs more time in the minors to refine his skills.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Seems late time to hit Braun. Maybe they have done it a few games ago.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo possibly could be a top notch starter. I still like Rondon, with Thompson and Liberatore also having high floors.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Man, Luke Voit. There’s a guy the Cardinals missed on. You wonder what the coaches did not see in him.

I’m pretty sure that someone here (bccran maybe?) was on the Luke Voit train. I think the trade for Gallegos was a good one for both teams.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s the ball game. IMO, that Two-run homer puts it out of reach. The Redbirds will leave town dropping three out of five to the Crew.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo with a bad first and last inning, but he ate some innings and saved the bullpen in the middle. With the putrid offense, he wasn’t going to win no matter what but he did ok for his first start back.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran puts special focus on local products.

Here at TCN, our best-ever prospect ranking of Voit was no. 38 in the system. So most missed on him. It happens.

P.S. As a 22nd rounder, in today’s world, he might never have gotten a chance in pro ball, and even if he had, he might have been cut before ever reaching MLB.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have scored 2, 0, 3, 1 and now 0 runs in Oviedo’s five starts. Talk about no support at all.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s a coach in St. Louis who coached David Freese, Ryan Howard, and Luke Voit
    in elite level travel ball during their high school years. He was just as high on Luke as the other 2. That’s why I was pushing Luke so much.

Participant

Free

2 hits. 0 runs. There’s no sugarcoating that. Ouch.

On to Pittsburgh who has lost 8 straight and are 20 games under .500. We should get well there.

Go Cards.

Participant

Paid - Annual

We should get well there.

One would think, Tinky , but didn’t these guys spank us in our own yard recently? We definitely need to take 4-5, but our track record dictates that we leave Pittsburgh with 3 wins…..and maybe just 2. The Bucs can put us out of our misery by taking 4-5.

Participant

Free

The Cards are just not a very good team with below average coach…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

It’s a shame that Wainwright’s amazing season is getting cut short by the shortened schedule.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cardinals make the playoffs and have a chance to align their starters the way they want I would think they would have to go with Waino in game 1 and Kim in game 2. If their is a game 3 then decide between Hudson and Flaherty?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I had that very discussion with the same conclusion on my weekly radio appearance in Des Moines yesterday.

Of course, the reality is more like they will have to even play the final DH on Monday the 28th to get in, and if so, it could be one tired team heading to Texas. Just one day for travel before Wednesday Game 1, but getting there is the focus. One would have to wonder if they would have anything left for the playoffs, though.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully if they have to play the last 2 games it would just be a bit of a formality. Preferably, they could play the starters in game 1, then empty the bench for game 2. If they lose 28-0, so be it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If they have to play the final two games, it would be for one reason only – the Cardinals’ playoff seeding is affected by the outcomes. It could be even be whether they make the playoffs at all (like if they were held today). So I can’t see them being able to slack off. If the games are needed, wins will be needed.

In the possibility that only one win would matter and they win Game 1 of the DH, then I would hope they would not even play Game 2. But this is probably not a high odds scenario. Then StL would have 59 games against 60 for the others and a Game 2 loss could put them them back in a tie with another contender, for example.

No way to forecast how the other playoff contenders will finish, but it may not be too early to brush up on tiebreaker scenarios…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In the possibility that only one win would matter and they win Game 1 of the DH, then I would hope they would not even play Game 2. But this is probably not a high odds scenario. Then StL would have 59 games against 60 for the others and a Game 2 loss could put them them back in a tie with another contender, for example.

With an even number of games, the Cards would need to play games 59 & 60 only if they were 1 game behind, tied or 1 game ahead.

If the Cards were 1 game behind, they could skip game 2 with a loss. If they won game 1, they’d need to win game 2 to the.

If the Cards were tied, they would have to play game 2 no matter if they won or lost game 1.

If the Cards were a game ahead, they could skip game 2 with a win in game 1. If they lost game 1, they’d need to win game 2 to avoid the tie.

So I suppose it’s a 2/3 chance they’d need to play game 2 even with a win, and 1/3 they could just skip it. I’d rather see them get the days off.

Of course, that’s just if seeding is not at stake.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Are you ready to tackle the tie-breakers now? 😉

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No sir. I’ll leave that to the professional. Lol

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So unless a tie is with another Central team, wins over the Pirates would be more valuable than wins over the Royals, for example.

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head record (if applicable). If that’s also a tie, the next tiebreaker is intradivision record. If that’s still a tie, the next is record in the final 20 division games (plus one until the tie is broken).

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it is highly likely we will have to play those final two games against the Tigers. If so, would they be in St. Louis or Detroit?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years