2020 Cardinals Game #43 – Tue, Sept. 15 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #43 – Tue, Sept. 15 at Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:40 p.m.
    RHP Jack Flaherty (3-1, 3.08) vs. TBA
    FS Midwest // KMOX

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking at the standings, I’m convinced that the Cards are in the spot we would probably prefer them to be, all things considered. The Dodgers are the #1 seed, the Braves and Cubs tied for #2, with the Padres the #4. The Marlins are the #5, the Cards #6, the Phillies #7 and the Giants #8.

So on with my point…right now, the Cards are likely to play either the Cubs or Braves in a 3 game set. Should they get past that, they would play the winner of the Phillies and Cubs/Braves. While all those teams are decent, I certainly don’t think they are unbeatable.

Now suppose the Cards get hot and grab the #5 seed. Their reward? They face the team that loses the West between the Dodgers and Padres. That’s not exactly a great proposition. If they somehow sneak through that 3 game set? Almost assuredly it will net a matchup with the other squad. Thrilling.

My point is that unless they can win the division, it would be best if the Cards stay right where they are, or even drop to the top WC slot. Getting “hot” may well cost them a shot at two series wins in October.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Brewers are starting lefty Brett Anderson.

1. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    2. Tommy Edman (S) 3B
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    5. Brad Miller (L) DH
    6. Rangel Ravelo (R) RF
    7. Yadier Molina (R) C
    8. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    9. Harrison Bader (R) CF

Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt is basically choosing Brad Miller over Lane Thomas against a lefty.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Alec Mills no-hits the Crew and two nights later Flaherty gives up 2 first inning dingers. On any given day…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kolten Wong was a late scratch. Hopefully not hurt.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Flaherty certainly has not looked like the second-half-2019 Jack in this weird season, but then that guy was as good as anyone.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Vogelbach looks like a latter-day Smokey Burgess. Never really saw Smokey, other then occasional highlights of the 1960 World Series, but he has the same general build, and I think he hits the same way – basically taking what they give you.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jack gives up 2 more, as all world Yelich and wretched excuse for a human Braun score on the double.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Was looking it up. Vogelbach lifetime .202 hitter. .202 Jack, what are you doing, other than stinking it up?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who’d have thought that Flaherty would be the one who would destroy the bullpen going into the DH tomorrow? It’s beginning to look like his amazing run in late 2019 was a flash in the pan.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow! Just turned on the game and what a shock. My gut tells me the chances of the Cardinals making the playoffS are decreasing.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Avatar1964cards.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 asked:

Kolten Wong was a late scratch. Hopefully not hurt.

Soreness in his left side. Will get more in post-game.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, an old fashioned butt-kicking. Flaherty now has an ERA over 5.

Woodford likely needs to take one for the team, and give the club a few innings even if he gets shelled.

Somehow, someway, we need to take that DH tomorrow or this ship may sink fast.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It felt like Flaherty gave up tonight. I was not excited about his demeanor after his last start. I am very curious how his interview tonight will go.

On the “flash in the pan” thought, how could one or two bad starts override 15 excellent ones? (His ERA coming into today was 3.08.)

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

A mound trip in an 11-1 game – sheesh…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jack seems to have an issue pitching to this particular team…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On the “flash in the pan” thought, how could one or two bad starts override 15 excellent ones? (His ERA coming into today was 3.08.)

Not in terms of him being a good starting pitcher. But he may not be the capital A Ace that we had all felt he might be. Late 2019 Flaherty looked like he might be the next Scherzer. He may be the next Carlos Martinez instead.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It did look like Jack gave up. Certainly not endearing qualities for our “ace”, and certainly not when we have had pitchers like Gibson, Carpenter, and Wainright. I sure hope he and the team come out a little pissed off at this debacle after this.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like Woodford is in for duration.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like Woodford is in for duration.

No way he goes 6 innings unless he’s insanely efficient.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Jack’s command does not seem to be what it was last year. Could be the weird season. Even after the team went back to playing after the COVID layoff, Jack did not pitch for awhile (which was a mystery to this reporter).

As for his future, he certainly has shown he can be a top tier pitcher. This recent mediocre work is not enough to make a call on what his career will look like in the next few years.

Participant

Paid - Annual

At what point do you have a position player start tossing to save the bull pen for tomorrow?

Participant

Paid - Annual

“All” he needs is 5. Granted, Crismatt may be needed too. Or which Cards position player be used?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty has been off most of this season. I don’t know if it is physical, mental, or whatever but something hasn’t been right with him.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years