2020 Cardinals Game #3 – Sun 7/26 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #3 – Sun 7/26 vs. Bucs

Viewing 14 posts - 51 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is smart to use this goofy season to see if any of the young outfielders can do anything for us in future. The chance to see them all out there vs big league competition is a stroke of luck. The org needs to keep it cheap this year anyway. Haven’t seen anything so far. I am not a Fowler basher, but it seems like any reps to him is a waste of opportunity.

Participant

Free

Brian Walton wrote:

Here we go:

Randy at AA last year
    309/.442/.515/.937/116PAs

Dylan at AA last year
    281/.364/.518/.882/417PAs

They traded the wrong guy! 😉

Brian, a good example of why I don’t like polls and stats. Do you think that the 301 PA difference might make a difference? Randy was a cup of coffee at AA while Dylan was almost the whole season.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3, I was not intending that to be a serious comparison. I used it as an example of how stats can be interpreted to defend a pre-determined notion, in this case, to back up my fake conclusion that Arozarena is a better prospect than Carlson. However, I not suggesting that stats are not important – when considered in the overall context.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arozarena also hurt his cause with the leaked video of Shildt’s post game speech last October. Seemed like the writing was on the wall as to which young OF was most likely to be traded at that point.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Will throw my opinion in FWIW – while I would have loved to have Randy still in the organization, I liked the deal for Liberatore better. Time will tell if the deal is a bust, but the chance to get a potential elite lefthand starter for an outfielder that may or may not be as good as what you had is something you have to do.

Life is series of choices, which encounters risks and rewards. You analyze the situation and make your decision. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose (to quote Carole King and many others). You just hope you win more than lose.

I am pro-management on that deal. Would not doubt if Tampa asked for Carlson, and settled for Arozarena as the consolation prize.

Participant

Free

However, I not suggesting that stats are not important – when considered in the overall context.

uh huh, chuckling.

Participant

Paid - Annual

MM3 wrote:

Now up to the land with no police.

Seriously?

Participant

It’s strange how some posters infer a meaning that simply isn’t true. Not once have I said they should have kept Arozarena over Carlson. Never mentioned trading Carlson once. I have said that I would have kept Arozarena over Thomas. I think he brings more to the table.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You totally missed the point. No one said Arozarena was preferable to Carlson, except me when showing how stats can be twisted to support just about any conclusion one wants to make.

I understand your opinion is that Arozarena is superior to Thomas. Only time will tell.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have said that I would have kept Arozarena over Thomas. I think he brings more to the table.

I would agree but don’t you think it’s possible that the Rays also preferred Arozarena?

Thomas+Liberatore>Thomas+Arozarena, IMO

Participant

Yes, we’ll have to see. Lane Thomas turns 25 next month. This is his 7th year of professional ball. He was drafted in the 5th round in 2014. Last season, he was in 75 games at Memphis and slashed .268/.352/.460/.812.
    He had 10 home runs in 304 plate appearances. He had a short stint in the majors (44 plate appearances) and did well. My problem is that if Bader remains in CF that puts Thomas at a corner. And he doesn’t profile well IMHO as a corner. Nice all around ball player, but not a top notch corner outfielder on a contending team. Profiles more as an average center fielder or #4.

Participant

Possible OF of O’Neill-Thomas-Carlson? Maybe. That’s where (IMHO) it’s going to end up.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

Lane Thomas turns 25 next month. This is his 7th year of professional ball.

Just for the record, Arozarena turned 25 five months ago. This is also his seventh pro season, if he could play, that is… 😉

Participant

I know full well how old Arozarena is.

MM, Bicycle, and 25 – how do you compare the experience Arozarena got playing in Cuba vs. the experience Thomas got playing in the lower minor leagues? Didn’t Arozarena play in the World Cup for 18 and unders? Thanks.

Viewing 14 posts - 51 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years