2020 Cardinals Game #18 – Mon, Aug. 24 vs. Royals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #18 – Mon, Aug. 24 vs. Royals

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m.
    RHP Jack Flaherty (1-0, 3.12) vs. RHP Brad Keller (3-0, 0.00)
    FS Midwest // MLB Network // KMOX

1982 willie
    Participant

Im feeling pretty good about this game. Its going to get interesting to see how these lineups start shaking out now that most people are back, all the main starters anyway. DEjong is back so you expect him to start more often than not so does edmon move back to third. IM fine with carp being the DH but lots of other questions. Bader looks better at the plate though that can change and carlson hit better today. I expect fowler to get back in. oneil is the one that is struggling so maybe him and fowler trade off.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who would have thought that Brad Keller would look like such a formidable for going into this one?? 3-0 with a spotless ERA. He’s been a bit lucky so hopefully that runs out on this one. Hopefully we also see the return of Mr Flaherty for more than a couple of innings. We need him clicking on all cylinders the rest of 2020, so it’s time to work that pitch count up.

bccran
    Participant

Welcome back to St. Louis, MM!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope they get back to having Edman at third, and Carp DHing.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Mike Matheny returns for a series but I guess he was here for that one exhibition game earlier. I still like the guy but many don’t.

Gee, only one double header this week so a chance to catch up a bit.

My fondest hope other than winning games at Busch is that they rotate some of those cardboard fans behind home plate. To me they are distractions as they seem to be oversized and are not moved around. At least rotate out the first couple of rows if not do away with them altogether. The Yanks just cover the seats with large tarps behind the plate. I know it is all for Cardinals Care but staring at the same people all season is going to get on a few folks nerves.

Thanks Dylan for showing us that a little faith in you pays off. Shildt kept playing you and it looks like you are ready to pay back with the bat but have always looked good on defense.

Patrick Wisdom now a Cub? That is one guy who had the name of a ballplayer and the look of a ballplayer but just never caught on at any one place. Probably being a one position player (3b) did not help and as a Cub 3B is already spoken for a couple of times over.

I had to edit to add this one in. Thanks to the HPU for finally calling a guy out for failure to attempt to NOT be hit by a tossed ball. That little arm trick is being used almost every day now and it is time for MLB to crack down on awarding HBPs when no effort is made to get out of the way. Bader found a way to get out of that chin music that could have ruined his whole day if not career.

bccran
    Participant

Mike Matheny had one of the best winning percentages of any manager in Cardinals history. Many people didn’t care for his managing for some reason, but managing aside there’s no reason not to like Mike Matheny the person.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I liked MM as a person. His managing skills were more in question, as those early teams he had could have won 90+ games with anyone managing, IMO. They were extremely talented and it’s a shame they weren’t able to win a World Series. Toward the end, it became apparent that a change was in the best interest of everyone involved, and thus they did. I’m glad Mike has found a gig in Kansas City and hope he has a lot of success there…except when they play the Cards, of course.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I echo Minuteman’s cardboard fan sentiments, as they do tend to get a bit stale. Getting some better looking adults wouldn’t hurt either. Possibly a sliding pay scale might just help as to reeling in some nice looking cardboard females to the Busch fold? On the traditional 1-10 grading scale, I would charge $280 per game for those accruing a 0-3 score, $80 for those checking in at 4-5, $45 for 6-7, $8 for 8-9 and for those beautiful ladies tallying perfect 10 scores, pay them $50 per game for the right to have their likeness sitting front and center at Cardinal home games.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I always liked Matheny as a person but I thought he was lacking as a manager. Yes he won a lot of games and took us to a World Series but he had a ton of talent to work with too. Most new managers take over a rebuild. MM inherited a team that had just won the World Series but unfortunately his teams seemed to get a little worse each year removed from TLR. He seemed stuck in his ways, didn’t always communicate well with his players, and in my opinion never had near the strategic capabilities that Shildt has.

I think KC is a good spot for Mike and I do wish him well, except for the next three games. Are Mike and Whitey the only two guys to manage the two Missouri teams?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A good reminder not to take defense for granted… Only two of the top 10 teams have a losing record.

bccran
    Participant

gscottar and 25 –

The 2011 team had Pujols in the field and Carpenter leading the staff. They were gone when Matheny took over.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar and 25 –

The 2011 team had Pujols in the field and Carpenter leading the staff. They were gone when Matheny took over.

True, but he did still have Yadi and Holliday, Berkman and Beltran and Waino. Plus the best farm system in the game.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Same as others, I wish Mike all the best with KC. And I wish all the best to those who enjoy rehashing his past. Exceptionally likely that no minds will be changed, though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar asked:

Are Mike and Whitey the only two guys to manage the two Missouri teams?

Interesting question. I expanded the search and went back and looked at the KC Athletics managers and saw no overlap with the Cardinals. Same with the A’s and Browns.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs?

For lunch today I had a center cut rib chop, some baked beans with onions, a piece of cherry pie and an Almond Joy candybar. Along with a Pepsi.

And as an FYI…..Whitey Herdog has came down with the back/disc disease, IVDD. She is somewhat paralyzed around her hind quarters and back legs. Was at the Vet’s for almost a month. She is home now on crate rest and I am doing some therapy on her. Fingers are crossed.

r/Esteemed Rat who hopes this post makes it through and no error messages show up.

bccran
    Participant

When MM took the Cards to the WS in 2013, he had the following –

Molina – .319.359/.477/.836
    Craig – .315/.373/.457/.830
    Carp – .318/.392/.481/.873
    Holliday – .300/.389/.490/.879
    Beltran – .296/.339/.491/.830

By 2018, when he was let go, the Cards were down to 2
    guys with an .800+ OPS – Carp and Jose Martinez.
    Both of whom were defensive liabilities.

Mo gave him no help in the middle of the lineup, then made him a scapegoat.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The White Sox are plus 4 at first base? Man, Abreu butchered a couple plays against us in 3 games. First base is his primary position, right?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

By 2018, when he was let go, the Cards were down to 2
    guys with an .800+ OPS – Carp and Jose Martinez.
    Both of whom were defensive liabilities.

2017 with MM: 83-79
    2018 with MM: 47-46
    2018 with Shildt: 41-28
    2019 with Shildt: 91-71

Shildt managed to do OK with what Mo gave him, looks like…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have found from some years of experience that Mr. DeWitt is a very intelligent and perceptive man, very knowledgeable in all aspects of his operation. He has the power to hire and fire anyone he chooses. He replaced his manager over two years ago. Old news. Time to put it behind and move on, IMO.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

27, miller at 3B tonight, carp DH, Edmon at 2B

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A lunch fit for a wealthy and wise king, Rat. Very sad reading of Herdog’s recent physical difficulties. But, with Rat at the doctoring helm, I have little doubt that little Herdog will be turning somersaults in no time. With my lesser half in Minneapolis for the day, it’s been a mighty fine Monday for me. When she hits the road, I hit the fast food joints. So my din-din tonight consisted of two Popeyes chicken breasts, red beans and rice, strawberry Fanta and not one…. not two…..but three apple cinnamon pies.

Our bottom of the order Murderer’s Row is starting to grow on me. Hope they keep it going and no matter what kind of a hitting tear these youngsters go on, it’s imperative that our skipper NOT elevate them in the order.

Tinky
    Participant

Free

Royals starter Brad Keller is 3-0 with a 0.00 ERA and opponents are batting .140 against him. Wow. This might not be so easy. Go Cards.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2B Edman
    3B Miller
    1B Goldschmidt
    DH Carpenter
    SS DeJong
    C Molina
    RF Fowler
    LF Carlson
    CF Bader

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.