2019 Rule 5 draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 Rule 5 draft

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not sure how many roster spots would be available this November.

Free agents Wieters and Ozuna will likely be gone, with Ozuna probably getting a QO;
    Wainright will be back, but his signing could wait until after the R5D.
    Cecil to come off 60 day DL, and possibly outrighted.
    Woodford and Montero added.
    Mayers is a candidate to be cut, if not traded.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, this feels more like a 40-man roster management subject than Rule 5.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

My initial count

Off the 40 man:
    Ozuna
    Wacha
    Weiters
    Hudson
    Mayers
    Wainwright
    Ravelo (I know some will disagree)

Added to 40 man from 60 day DL
    Cecil
    Thomas
    Hicks

Added for rule 5 protection
    Woodford
    Montero

FA signing
    Wainwright

That leaves one roster spot open for FA or other rule 5 protection barring some type of trade.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I forgot about the extra catcher Hudson. He will be gone.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there a list out there highlighting Rule 5 eligible? Maybe BA has something? If they could find a lefty reliever that would be nice. Assuming there is a spot or 2 available. Of course trades are another way to open a spot or 2.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would Dobzanski be protected on the 40 man roster? I guess that would depend on how many open roster spots they have? I would fear losing him because Dobzanski could be a guy a bad team could hide on their roster for a year.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I commented in the prospect voting that I think we are at risk that Dobzanski could be selected in the rule 5 draft. That said, I’m not sure we should spend a spot to protect him.

skippy mckill
    Participant

Free

Woodford and Montero need protected. I don’t think anyone would take Schrock, and with Edman, you don’t really need him if they do.

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/cardinals-2019-2020-offseason-faq

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think Woodford and Montero are near certainties. Next in line and probably the hardest decision might be Capel.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Capel will be protected. Unless his finish in AFL is a sign of improvement, he has been far too streaky. And as a rule, hitters seem less likely to be drafted, and/or don’t have as much impact for the drafting team. I would protect Dobzankski ahead of Capel, but I think the Cards will roll the dice and nit add him. The only way for it to happen would for a 4 for 1, 4 for 2, or 3 for 1 trade to open up spots, or to delay resigning Wainright until after the Rule 5 draft. Another lesser possibility would be to outright Cecil to Memphis. I don’t think anyone would take on his contract, and could be a NRI in Spring Training.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 wrote:

Another lesser possibility would be to outright Cecil to Memphis. I don’t think anyone would take on his contract, and could be a NRI in Spring Training.

No go. Cecil can decline any outright attempt for multiple reasons, including his service time and his no-trade protection. I cannot imagine why he would accept.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

If he doesn’t pitch well in Spring Training DFA him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DFA is not a resolution. It just buys a team a week to decide what to do. Cecil can’t be outrighted or optioned out, and no one will take him in trade, so the only real action would be to release him (and eat his remaining salary). In other words, there would be no reason to go through the interim step of a DFA.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I will restate…if he doesn’t pitch well in the spring then release him.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Brian, I did not realize there was a week window. I thought a player could be outrighted once in their career.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wasn’t clear enough. Two different points are being discussed here.

When a player is DFAed, that gives his team a week to decide what to do with him – option, outright, trade or release. They can re-use his 40-man spot immediately.

A player can be outrighted once in his career without being passed through irrevocable waivers – as long as he hasn’t been in the majors five years. The second time, even if he clears, he can become a free agent, then or at the end of the season. The full rules are more complicated than this, but I am trying to summarize.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think they release Cecil and trade Mayers. However, if Dobzanski is the next most pressing protectee then they may not have to do anything with Mayers. I don’t see Cecil throwing another regular season pitch for St. Louis if even in spring training.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When Myers has his pitches working, they are almost unhittable. And that’s why they keep bringing him up and sending him out to the mound. But as I see it the problem is that he, generally, has his pitches working for only one batter. The concern is that, right after we send him to another team, he will find his groove and turn out to be a key bullpen part for that team.

I’d just as soon never see Cecil again. But if he’s pitching good enough at spring training, it seems like they will have to bring him north with the team.

They gave Dobzanski $700K to sign as a 29th rounder back in 2014.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I just dont see them releasing Cecil before they see how he is in Spring training. That wont help us create space prior to the rule 5 draft.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not much drama regarding who will be protected this year. Next year may not be the same story. Assuming Woodford and Montero are the only roster addees this off season, there will be 11 guys who are in the community top 30 who would need protection next off season. There are an additional 6-7 who have been in the top 30 and could return to that level (including Elledge who almost certainly will be protected). Additionally there are 2-3 who have been on the cusp of the top 30 who could need protection next year depending on their performance (Capel and Dobzanski come quickly to mind).

I see 3 projected FA at the end of next year (Molina, Wainwright, and Cecil). So spots are going to be tough to come by. Should be interesting.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope the risk of losing Dobzanski in the Rule 5 outweighs Leone’s roster spot. MOntero and Woodfod are certain to be protected.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If any extra roster spots are available, left hander James Reeves from the Yankees should be considered. Unless he is protected of course.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Goold at the PD seems to think the Cards may protect Seijas. His stats compare favorably with Perdoma who we didnt protect and lost through the rule 5 draft. Perdomo was a couple of years older at the same level when drafted. That could mean he would be more able to handle a bump to mlb than Seijas but it also miğht show that Seijas has a higher upside.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed. In fact, I earlier wrote about the challenge with Seijas’ Rule 5 eligibility in the Comeback Pitcher of the Year article. I will be finishing up my annual mega-article with Rule 5 predictions this afternoon and Seijas will be prominently mentioned.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Precisely as I predicted for subscribers last week…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.