2018 Reg Seas Game #82 – vs. Braves – Sun 7/1

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #82 – vs. Braves – Sun 7/1

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:15 p.m. RHP John Gant (2-2, 3.48) vs. RHP Mike Foltynewicz (5-4, 2.14) FOX Sports Midwest/MLB Network/KMOX

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Not much to hang your hat on with this club right now. I suppose we could get some positive thoughts from blaming injuries on our mediocre first half.

But the primary cause is the fact that no one on the offensive side is having a strong year. Plus several guys are under-performing by a large margin – Pham, Fowler, Wong. Then you have Ozuna, Gyorko, Carpenter, and DeJong who have not exactly set the world on fire. Molina and Martinez are about the only guy that have given the club as much as they could expect.

Starting pitching has exceeded my expectations to some degree, as I thought we would really struggle in this area. The bullpen was bad from the start, both in talent and in conception with the “shuffle” plan, and has little to show for all the maneuvering.

I thought we would miss Lance Lynn’s steadiness and durability in the rotation, and maybe that will show more over the second half. But he has not done all that well in Minnesota, although he has pitched better of late. The guy that we might regret trading is Marco Gonzales. He is having a great season in Seattle, and the Mariners are one of the surprise teams in the league.

In fact, the AL is loaded this year. There are four teams in the AL playing over .600 ball, including Seattle. No NL team is playing at that level.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team has about three weeks to kick into gear before the serious trades start happening. The front office will have some interesting decisions to make. I know that we never sell, but as I have stated before, I don’t like buying just for a possible chance at a one game playoff. I would only do it if we are showing signs of winning the division, which we aren’t.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For reference, the Cards are currently two games out of the second wild card, but are only tied for the eighth-best winning percentage in the NL. (Five teams make the playoffs.) They are 5 1/2 games back in the division.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lineup from Danny Mac: Carpenter, Pham, Martinez, Ozuna, Gyorko, Bader, Wong, Pena, Gant.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mike, the AL is actually horrible this year. Those .600 teams have gaudy records on the backs of a whole bunch of tanking teams.

Other than that, I can’t quibble much with your positings. This team needs something to shake it loose.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

At the game today, hot as blazes (93 degrees). Hoping for another good outing by Gant. He hasn’t allowed an ER in last 10 innings pitched. Definitely need that today.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Still early but the Cards are struggling against Folty. They had a shot to get something going twice with first batter walks, but couldn’t get anything across.

1-0 Braves early on.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Through 3.5, our guys are in a bad offensive funk, getting fooled up in the zone. Pham getting called out was another poor at bat for him. Time to snap out of it guys!

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Bader whiffs w/2 out and 2 on. Gotta put that ball in play at least. MM keeps talking about his “professional hitters.” Not so sure about that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I hate to sound like a broken record, but ideally, Bader would only start against LHP.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Foul, foul, foul, foul, home run. Story of the series.

3 runs feels like 13 with this offense.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Dan McLaughlin just talked about how up and down the Cardinals have been the last few years. Common theme, guy running the show in the dugout.

Gant was so good until now, seems to have hit a wall.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Freeman jacks one out with 2 strikes, 1 on and no one out. This is turning from bad to worse. 3-0 Braves. MM’s interview this morning on local radio was a laugh riot too — gave his team credit for giving the fans something to cheer about last night in the 9th. Really, Mike?

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Won’t be overturned

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Get the damn out Martinez. That is two poor plays back to back. Just a team that that does NOT do fundamentals well and is poorly coached.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Now 5-0. Brooms are out. Wild pitch sets up a good shot at a 6th run.

I think this team may have given up. We’ll see but this road trip may end up under.500.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Hit the Mascot

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Top of 6th as bad as it gets. Little mistakes + poor pitching + nonexistent offense = runaway game. This team doesn’t deserve a sold out stadium like they got today.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One would think that this would be MM’s last game as manager of the St. Louis Cardinals. Not to say that this sinking ship is all of his fault. If he’s still gainfully employed at 9:00pm this evening, I’ll be absolutely shocked.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This whole series has been lackluster city!!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Even the telecast is giving air time to a woman reading a book instead of watching the game.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

You have to wonder if this is the end of the road for the on field management. I wouldn’t be against the President and GM joining them on the way out. This franchise needs a new direction and thought process. A total reset.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cubs offense is clicking even though Bryant is on the DL. Of all people, Jason Heyward has been red-hot.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.