2018 Reg Seas Game #74 – at Brewers – Fri 6/22

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #74 – at Brewers – Fri 6/22

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Things are very bleak in 2018 and while I’d love to be wrong, it’s steaming toward time to punt on this season or shake up the coaching staff mid season. We all know they wouldn’t fire an actual coach in season so… punt?

First coach to go is Mabry. This team has one guy who regularly looks to go to the opposite field. Far to many weak pop up, roll over ground outs and strikeouts by guys trying to pull everything and drive it out of the park.

Front office needs to decide now if they are going to be sellers or buyers. And IF they are buyers, they have to make a splash, no more marginal bullpen arms, they’ve brought enough of those in over the last few years.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

About how I thought it would end.

This team is spiraling downward. The can’t hit, can’t field, can’t trust the arms we’ve got late and are a wind machine at the plate and has a couple of coaches who flat out can’t get the job done. How in the hell can Dewitt and Mozeliak continue looking at this product on the field and honestly think it can’t need tweaking? Hell it needs more than and tweak! It needs about 4-5 new additions which the team won’t add because it’ll cost too much and there’s too much risk.

This franchise has fallen off a cliff and is on life support.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When they see revenue falling from soft ticket sales, they will act.

2011 seems forever
    Participant

Free

Once again our offense ruins a great pitching performance. And for all you Molina fans who thinks he still has it…Explain to me why you would call an 0-2 fast ball on the corner to a batter who 2 innings ago hit a homer one handed..Just asking.

I agree Martinez antics have run its course.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He hit the homer on a good slider down in the zone. Not like he called a fat middle pitch. It just didn’t work. As one of the few guys who still appears to care about the team performance (and is still actually performing), he’s hardly the guy I’d target as a problem. Carpenter, Yadi and Pham are about the only vets who look like they’re trying right now. Everyone else is either very new, like Flaherty and Muñoz (Martinez to some degree) or just isn’t performing at all. Throw in some guys who I think have given up and…you’ve got a .500 ball club.

2011 seems forever
    Participant

Free

I will also blame Matheny for this loss and his inability to manage late. top 8, 2 on,no out in a 1-1 game with Hader coming in. Bottom of the order due up. Am I wrong in thinking a bunt would have been the thing to do in that situation?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They bunted with a man on first in like the 3rd inning with Bader. So…by the 6th it was pretty well foregone that Muñoz should have bunted.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Junior won’t be forced into doing anything. he’s not going to spend 20 million on a guy to save 5 to 10 million in revenue. He’s a businessman and he knows they’ll sell 3.2 like always. Any action at the deadline would surprise me.

The scary good bullpen strikes again.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brewers Twitter even getting in on the troll job after the game…

2011 seems forever
    Participant

Free

I have been cardinal fan for over 35 years and I don’t remember a team more embarrassing than this one. The best Cardinal team to never win a World series was the 85 squad. They were special. Coleman Lf, Herr 2b, McGee Cf, Clark 1B, Van Slyke Rf, Pendelton 3b, Pagnozzi C,Smith ss. Only Clark would hit over 20 hr,maybe Vanslyke,,, I think the rest didn’t even hit 20 homers combined for a season and you know what, that was ok because they didn’t try to swing for the fences. We led the league in runs scored that year, and only hit 58 hr as a team

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

8 Consecutive strikeouts by Cardinal hitters. Fantastic effort by Flaherty. Thought the home plate umpire was sqeezing him at times.

2011 seems forever
    Participant

Free

The walkoff was a fast ball not a slider unless you know many pitchers that throw a 96mph slider.Molina set up on the corner asking Norris to place it there. Good call on a 2-2 pitch or or 3-2 pitch,but not 0-2..

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Too disgusted to post anything else right now.The hell with it until tomorrow morning.Flaherty pitched a hell of a game.This one reminded me of the Dick Hughes game in 1968…Hughes lost a no-hitter and the game in the 9th inning and the Cards also hit into a triple play in the 8th or 9th inning.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

When they see revenue falling from soft ticket sales, they will act.

As Yogi said, if the fans quit coming to the ballpark, you can’t stop them.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You see a lot, 2011Seems,..
    …….you see a lot.

I am torn on which path to traverse. One part of me says “Pugs…enough is enough. How much heartache can you endure? Ditch this team for the year and start anew next March, when hopefully the likes of Dexter Fowler and Wong are dust in the wind and are plying their trade elsewhere”. And the other part of me wants to take the high road. To continue rooting on our boys through thick and thin. To maybe even prove my unwavering love for this teetering ship of 25 by not only going to all Cardinal games here in Milwaukee, but also traveling to ports of call such as Chicago and Detroit to root my team on. What to do????

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The walkoff was a fast ball not a slider unless you know many pitchers that throw a 96mph slider.Molina set up on the corner asking Norris to place it there. Good call on a 2-2 pitch or or 3-2 pitch,but not 0-2..

I meant the homer off Flaherty, sorry.

Also, I never saw ’85 because I was 2 that season. 2004 is the best Cardinal team I’ve seen though, followed closely by 2013. It’s a shame neither could overcome Boston.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

That 85 team was very very good. Just couldn’t over come Donnie D.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Fortunately for a lot of you guys, you did not have to endure the awful 1970s Cardinal teams. You would love this club compared to just about any of those teams. The 1970s were a decade-long heartbreak, because you were always saying “if only…”. Management wrecked what would have been a powerhouse franchise.

As for today, Jesus Aguilar is what the Cardinals were hoping they would see from Marcel Ozuna. And maybe we will see that, but as of right now Aguilar is some 200 point above Ozuna in OPS, and has clubbed 6 more home runs. Both homers last night were on good pitches too.

Not sure what Munoz was yelping about on the play where Sogard slid into him. The throw took Munoz over Sogard, but it was a clean play. Probably frustration got to him, as this club has struggled for a couple of weeks now, losing a lot of close ones.

Man, those Brewers have a bullpen! When you think how they can bring in a guy like Hader, and we have Cecil, it just shows how much better their club is set up. We have all these mediocre guys coming up and down, and they just trot out a steady diet of quality arms.

We lose today, and we might be looking at a four game sweep. With Weaver going tomorrow, if he pitches his usual game he is going to get crushed against that club in that ball park.

It looks to be their year, but as Jim Brosnan said years ago, it’s a long season.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am torn on which path to traverse.

Pugs – You follow and root for your team through thick and thin. It’s just that in the seasons where your team is not so good, you do not put as much emphasis on baseball, and focus more on the blessings and challenges of life – family, health, relationships, being a difference-maker to those around you.

In the seasons where the club is successful, you spend a little more time and energy reveling in your team’s success, and tend to take for granted the true blessings in life a little more.

But all-in-all, it’s human nature to have this aura of peace and joy when your team is doing well, and carry around sort of a gloomy outlook in the back of your mind when they are regularly losing ball games.

2011 seems forever
    Participant

Free

It’s funny how every Cardinal slump when they’re losing games, I become manager, GM, and player all in one. I wanna trade these people, Matheny should have done this,Molina should have called this pitch but bottom line I have know what idea what I’m talking about… just a Cardinal fan who wants to see his team succed. By the next game the glass which was empty becomes half full again and tell myself this game will be the start of a long stretch of winning games. We can still get the split against Milwaukee.I know it’s not what we wanted but it would be a positive outcome esp after losing the first 2.And if we can come back to make the playoffs after being down by 8.5 games with 25 left in 2011, we can surely come back from 6.5 to possibly win the division or 2.5 to claim a spot in the wild card with 92 games left. We can do this.we will do this and it starts today. After this series We still have 7 games remaining against Milwaukee and all are at home. I may rant and get upset with my Cardinals because of how they are performing but I bleed Cardinal red though and through and will never give up hope and will continue to cheer my team regardless of who’s leading the team or who’s on the field. Go Cardinals.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NEVER have I seen such inspirational posts……especially back-to-back!! Thank you very much for getting me out of my Cardinal doldrums and back riding high in the saddle yet once again, BicycleMike!! Early this morning I gave my tickets away for the next two games to a neighbor down the block and now, thanks to BicycleMike’s inspiring words, I want the rascals back! Unfortunately the ticket recipient is quite a bit larger than me, so I think I’ll have to do something that I haven’t had to do since County Stadium days….pony up some cash at the window. I doubt that I’ll get anything close to my usual stomping grounds at 8 rows behind the visitors dugout, but at least as Tony said to Vince Papale in the hit movie ‘Invincible, “at least I can say that I was there”.

And talk about ” hits”, how about our new poster, 2011Seems! He keeps hitting it out of the park farther and farther with each passing post! I know 2011Seems hasn’t been with us long, but I would like to urge Brian to toss his hat into the ring to become this site’s newest moderator. Anyone second the motion?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Not sure what Munoz was yelping about on the play where Sogard slid into him. The throw took Munoz over Sogard, but it was a clean play. Probably frustration got to him, as this club has struggled for a couple of weeks now, losing a lot of close ones.

How would you know? Was it clarified in the press? Why are most people assuming Munoz was the bad guy. It was Sogard who was doing all the initial talking on the ground. Did you see that? As they began to stand upt, Munoz obviously took exception to all that with his response. Did Sogard say something nasty, or if he was saying some really polite like are you okay, was there a language barrier/issue?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

And talk about ” hits”, how about our new poster, 2011Seems! He keeps hitting it out of the park farther and farther with each passing post!

Well said, Pugs. 2011Seems, welcome to the board. Always great to have another diehard Card fan among us. Yeah, sometimes we get overly-emotional and our frustrations come out after a tough loss. But hey, that’s what makes you a fan.

If we yawned and patted the dog after each Cardinal loss, we may as well be watching “The Price Is Right”, or old reruns of “Mannix”. Wait, one of our regular posters loves old “Mannix” shows, and is a diehard Cardinal fan too boot, so never mind that part of the prior sentence.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

BikeMike: I like your attitude about being a Cardinal fan.

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.