2018 Reg Seas Game #74 – at Brewers – Fri 6/22

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #74 – at Brewers – Fri 6/22

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:10 p.m. RHP Jack Flaherty (3-2, 2.66) vs. RHP Chase Anderson (5-6, 4.54) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

Updated to RHP Junior Guerra (3-5, 2.89).

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This one qualifies as a must win. Guerra is good, but so is Flaherty. Gotta see Jack be efficient and go 6+ innings to give the team a shot. If the bullpen gets taxed again, we might see a spiral and a sweep is certainly possible.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Posters,
    I am 59 years old and I flat out guarantee you that I could play 1stbase (defensively) better than either Martinez or Carpenter. I 100% guarantee that. Its almost to the point where I worry if either one of them can even catch the ball.

The pickoff throw that got past Martinez last night, geez, I could have barehanded that one. How on earth can a big leaguer not catch that ball?????

r/Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing I have noticed lately with the Birds is that there seems to be no real sense of momentum one way or another, regardless of what happens. Win the game on a clutch HR…lose the next game. Blow out a foe tonight…lose tomorrow. Even “demoralizing” losses seem not to linger. I guess that could be a good thing tonight, as last night’s embarrassing loss should already be behind them. The Brew Crew are bound for a let down. Go Cards!

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I don’t know about the rest of you posters but the Carlos Martinez act is wearing thin. Its just about ran its course. All of his stupid, childish crap. All the different colors of hair, the stacking cups, seeing ghosts, and stupid crap like that pitch he made last night.

You tolerate a goofball if he is going good but this is his 6th year with the Cardinals and he’s yet to live up to his potential.

If he had more of the Bob Gibson attitude it would be a HUGE improvement. In my mind if we get a good offer for him i’m just about ready to send him packing.

r/Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

185-200 innings of low 3s ERA (peripherals generally match) is pretty fine. He’s not Max Scherzer but he’s very cheap and just fine for this team. I don’t get the desire to throw that away…

Participant

Paid - Annual

As with so many other Cards, their value is dropping as the season wears on. Whose stock has risen? You can count on your fingers (one hand) and still have a thumb left.

So many positive things would have to fall into place to get this scow back in order. We’re very close to circling the wagons.

Participant

I totally agree with Rats. Carlos is not progressing, he is back sliding badly. He is not nor will he ever be a stopper or a No. 1 starter. Too erratic, too emotional. As of late you can chalk up a loss when Carlos and Weaver toe the rubber.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Giving away a “Carlos Mystery Hair Bobblehead” as a promo item at the next home game certainly doesn’t help him focus. I’m fed up with the hype as well over C-Mart. He’s marginal value right now without an abrupt performance improvement. Overall maturity on this team is below standard too, I’ll have more to say about that later.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham called out on a garbage call. He sees video and must have said something to the ump, because he just got thrown out.

As Dan said, Matheny should have been out there causing some trouble. This kind of junk has gone on way too much this year, and someone needs to show some fire.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty with two Ks in the first and a popout…but still not too efficient with 21 pitches on the ledger. The next step for Jack is pitching to contact in places where it’s possible. It would be nice to mix in a few <10 pitch innings tonight.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As one of my marketing friends told me long ago, “If you can’t fix it, feature it!”

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The leadoff man on in the first two innings and the Cards just haven’t moved them along yet. Muñoz looked really bad, swinging at two low fastballs well out of the zone.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A more efficient inning for Flaherty there…now can we please get some runs?!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Leadoff man on again..will they get a run in??

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna pokes a single through and Carp scores. 1-0 Cards

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty strikes out the side in the third. Thames was pretty upset after his strikeout.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

First two on, Hader comes in and strikes out Muñoz and Wong, with Flaherty all that’s left to try to salvage the good start to the inning. We really badly needed a run here.

Participant

Free

Can Munoz bunt? I would’ve thought moving the runner over might have been important but no matter as Hader K’s the side.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty strikes Yelich out…err, nope. But he comes back to get the K, and Yadi’s throw to second wasn’t good as Thames gets credit for the steal.

Hate to say it but Flaherty probably shouldn’t go past this inning under any circumstances.

This umpire suddenly refuses to call anything at the bottom of the zone. Oh, now he calls one lower than the last two that Flaherty threw a few seconds before. What a joke.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

11Ks for Jack, through 6. You can quibble a little bit with the efficiency, but only a little…great start by Flaherty.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenter strikes out on a low, low pitch 3-2. The Cardinals have struck out 11 times now and Bader is probably going to be #12 here.

Participant

The offense needs to give support to Flaherty. This is ridiculous.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ok, so Bader flew out but Martinez struck out. Looking like Flaherty is heading back out with 95 pitches. A really fast inning would be huge here, but I can’t see any way he goes the full 9 innings tonight.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Jack has been awesome tonight. Would be a shame to get pulled with a no no but as stlcard25 said his pitch count may cause that.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by colhuskercolhusker.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years