2018 Reg Seas Game #55 – vs. Pirates – Fri 6/1

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #55 – vs. Pirates – Fri 6/1

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 RHP Miles Mikolas (6-0, 2.58 ERA) vs. RHP Jameson Taillon (2-4, 4.53 ERA) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

Participant

Free

It’s pretty amazing that our bullpen added four rather decent options this winter and we are down to just 1 of the 4 additions.

I’m not really sure I understand not having some of the Memphis guys up rather than these guys that Kathryn doesn’t trust at all.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a clear pitching mismatch, but ya gotta play the games and all.

Also, I’d like to publicly apologize for my outburst yesterday. Lots of heavy personal stuff lately for me but there are no excuses. I started to feel sorry for *myself* and let it infect my enjoyment of what should be a fun game. Won’t happen again. Sorry to y’all for having to hear it.

Go Cards!

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Taillon can be pretty good, so it may not be a big mismatch, StL.

The question of the day: Will Paul DeJong have a major league job when he gets back? Munoz really looks good. He seems better defensively than DeJong to me, but I have not looked at any metrics. And obviously offensively he is making it happen.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey Mike…I agree that Taillon can be good but Mikolas is consistently what Taillon can be, at least so far this year. Of course we did get stymied by the kid last time so you never know.

As for Dejong…he def will have a job. I suspect Wong has more to worry about. Paulie D was on pace for a 6 win season before the injury and nothing really screams that he shouldn’t be able to keep it up.

Can Wong play anything other than 2B or is his arm too weak? It’s a shame because I think his ceiling is quite a lot higher than Greg Garcia and it would be nice if he had the ability to spot start at SS or 3B for the LH bat.

My IF pecking order right as of right now when Dejong is recovered:

1B: 1. Carp 2. Martinez
    2B: 1. Wong 1A. Muñoz 3. Gyorko 4. Garcia
    SS: 1. Dejong 2. Muñoz 3. Garcia
    3B: 1. Gyorko 2. Muñoz 2A. Garcia 4. Carp

Not sure how they’re going to shuffle it but someone may be shutting to Memphis.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Wong’s ceiling may be higher than Garcia’s but his production (war/ab) has been slightly less than Garcia’s over their careers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I doubt that there is enough data to compare Munoz and DeJong defensively. To my untrained eye Munoz may have a little more range but is not as consistent.

We also have to remember that Munoz is a rookie and is as likely to go 0 for 5 tonight as he is to have another great night. It seems that rookies make the mistake of getting too high after the good and too low after the bad. I do like Munoz. He seems to be a gritty type that bugs the heck out of opposing teams. I would not be suprised to see him stick this time. His ability to play all over the infield and outfield is a big plus for him particularly if he continues to hit.

Munoz may be like former Red Jonny Gomes who didn’t make it as a regular often but had a 13 year major league career. And to the Cardinals a major pain in the rear. Or Munoz could be a solid regular for many years. Wong has only so much more time to get it together. He seems to still think he is a home run hitter and can’t lay off the high ones or the low inside breaking stuff.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been wondering about the potential numbers crunch with the infield also. Of course DeJong wont be back for at least a month if not longer so our perception of these players may be different by then, but if Munoz continues to play the way he has been then some tough decisions will have to be made. Munoz is looking like he did in spring training.

By the way I don’t hesitate to criticize the front office when they do something to get on my nerves but I also have to offer praise when they deserve it. I would say the Piscotty trade is looking pretty good right now. First, it was the right thing to do for Piscotty and his family. Second, Piscotty is putting up poor numbers while we have Munoz raking at the MLB level and Schrock is having a very solid season at Memphis even if he has cooled a bit lately. Way to go MO and Girsch!

Participant

Paid - Annual

DeJong deserves to be the starter.Period.DeJongs plays solid defense,is a big bat and is the future.Munoz sure looks better this time around but taking DeJongs job is farfetched.Wong is the one who needs to worry about keeping his job …Munoz is versatile and Cards do have Max Schrock at AAA who is a solid contact hitter.

Participant

I plan on seeing DeJong’s name in the lineup for years to come.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think anyone is saying that DeJong’s job is in jeapordy but could Munoz be a starter at 3B or 2B or possibly at SS with DeJong sliding over to 3B?

If Munoz continues to mash then he will have to be in the lineup somewhere and that means Wong, Gyoroko, or Garcia wouldn’t have a spot because I’m certain Carp and JMart will have spots.

Again who know what Munoz’s performance will be between now and when DeJong returns.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It takes a big man to admit when he’s made a mistake. Kudos to stlcard25!! I too have errored…….I think it was back in ’91 or ’92 though. Hoping for win #7 for The Mick tonight! I predict he’ll finish the campaign at a most respectable 18-5 with a 3.12 era. I’m trying to talk the wifey into going to the movies with her g/f tonight so I can be with you all on this very game thread. Right now it looks like a 50-50 chance. I think I hurt my odds by trying too hard in swaying her to go. I think I’ll go right in there and tell he I would very much prefer her company at home this evening….should be GAME ON then. Get this….she actually thought I might be interested in seeing this total Melissa McCarthy chic-flic ( Life of The Party ) with her tonight. Granted, I love the woman, but not enough to be seen at a movie like this one or worse yet that upcoming ‘Mama Mia’ monstrosity.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

Now Pugs, MY husband has seen “Steel Magnolias” more than once…

I think he may have figured out how to sleep with his eyes open.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Pugs, mind asking if my wife can tag along to that movie?!! I love my beautiful frau as well, but it is Friday night baseball after all…!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Funny stuff, UCONN! But the word “Steel” in it’s very title almost makes it a doable thing for we guys….so your husband gets a free pass. I’ve seen the promotional clips on this upcoming ‘Mama Mia’ film and it looks like a lulu. I’d rather watch Game 7 of the 2016 World Series over and over again vs sitting thru 2 hours of that dandy. The only two chic-flics that have ever done anything for me was ‘Prince of Tides’ and ‘Pretty Woman’.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ha ha CardsRedSox4Ever!! Sure thing….she’s welcome. My wifey and friend are blasting off any minute to the movies. I’m counting the seconds. Game on!!

Participant

Paid - Annual

We had better end up keeping Mikolas after next year concludes. Watch Theo…… he’ll come swoop him away from us in the middle of some cold winter night.

Participant

Free

Mikolas struggling a bit in the 1st. 2 out single and a rare walk. However Mikolas gets Dickerson to ground out weakly to 2nd.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mik sets the first two Bucs down without even a hint of a squabble, but then yields a soft single to center and a most unusual free pass….but then induces Dickerson to meekly ground out to Wong at 2nd.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If one unsrambles the letters in “Taillon”, you can come away with “not Ali”….. possibly indicating that this Pirates hurler is not a fighter. This should bode well for us tonight.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So what was Bader supposed to do on that slide?

Are they not allowed to slide at all into 2b?

That call went against Bader. Cause of all the BS with the Bucs earlier this week. and this one was not bad at all

New York is scared it seems.

If I was Matheny I’d have gotten kicked out because of that play. I’d have ran out to 2nd and stood there until the umpires tell me exactly what his players can and can’t do.

Somebody needs to take a bullet for forcing MLB to explain the rules clearly

Participant

Paid - Annual

How much do you want to bet that after Mikolas’ 1st inning walk, that he doesn’t issue another one.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Let it be a cubbie taking that bullet, Jags. After all, they started this.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Geesh, I wonder if Ozuna will ever go yard again????? Seems like months. I had more confidence in Mick Kelleher going deep back in the day than I do this ex-Floridian.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years